Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Beholder Eye Ray Macro

Edited 1592126242
Hey guy´s, I was looking for a beholder eye ray makro, but the internet doesn´t got something that i wanna use. If there´s already a macro for what i want to use, i would be glad for a link and close the thread. I try to figure out the following: There is an attack within the beholder character sheet. The following beholder eye rays are content of a homebrew game who have slight differences between the real stats in the monster manual. -Eye Ray- Description:  The beholder shoots three of the following magical eye rays at random (reroll dublicates), choosing one to three targets it can see within 120 feet of it: [[roll 1d10]] [1]. A pink Charming Ray appears. The targeted creature must succeed on a DC 16 [Wisdom](~selected|wisdom_save) or be charmed by the beholder for >1 hour<  [!act ?{Add or Subtract per Round?|1} ?{Starting Round or Duration?|1} --?{Name?|Round}] , or until the beholder harms the creature.  [2]. An orange pralyzing ray appears. The targeted creature must succeed on a DC 16 [Constitution](~selected|constitution_save) or be paralyzed for >1 minute<  [!act ?{Add or Subtract per Round?|1} ?{Starting Round or Duration?|1} --?{Name?|Round}] . The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.  [3]. A purple Fear Ray appears. The targeted creature must succeed on a DC 16 [Wisdom](~selected|wisdom_save) throw or be frightened for >1 minute<  [!act ?{Add or Subtract per Round?|1} ?{Starting Round or Duration?|1} --?{Name?|Round}] . The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.  [4]. A white slowing ray appears. The targeted creature must succeed on a DC 16 [Dexterity](~selected|dexterity_save) . On a failed save, the target´s speed is halved for >1 minute<  [!act ?{Add or Subtract per Round?|1} ?{Starting Round or Duration?|1} --?{Name?|Round}] . In addition, the creature can´t take reactions, and it can take either an action or a bonus action on its turn, not both. The creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.  [5]. A black-purple enervation ray appears. The targeted creature must make a DC 16 [Constitution](~selected|constitution_save), taking [[36 8d8]] necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. [6]. A red telekinetic ray appears. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 16 [Strength](~selected|strength_save) or the beholder moves it up to 30 feet in any direction. It is restrained by the ray´s telekinetic grip until the start of the beholder´s next turn or until the beholder is incapacitated.  If the target is an object weighing 300 pounds or less that isn´t being worn or carried, it is moved up to 30 feet in any direction. The beholder can also exert fine control on objects with this ray, such as manipulating a simple tool or opening a door or a container.  [7]. A blue sleeping ray appears. The targeted creature must succeed on a DC 16 [Wisdom](~selected|wisdom_save) throw or fall asleep and remain unconscious for >1 minute<  [!act ?{Add or Subtract per Round?|1} ?{Starting Round or Duration?|1} --?{Name?|Round}] . The target awakens if it takes damage or another creature takes an action to wake it. This ray has no effect on constructs and undead.  [8]. A greyish petrification ray appears. The targeted creature must make a DC 16 [Dexterity](~selected|dexterity_save)  throw. On a failed save, the creature begins to turn to stone and is restrained. It must repeat the saving throw at the end of its next turn. On a success, the effect ends. On a failure, the creature is petrified until freed by the greater restoration spell or other magic. [9]. A black desintegration ray appears. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 16 [Dexterity](~selected|dexterity_save)  throw or take [[ 45 (10d8)]] force damage. If this damage reduces the creature to 0 hit points, its body becomes a pile of fine gray dust. If the target is a Large or smaller nonmagical object or creation of magical force, it is disintegrated without a saving throw. If the target is a Huge or larger object or creation of magical force, this ray disintegrates a 10-foot cube of it.  [10]. A black-red ray of Death appears. The targeted creature must succeed on a DC 16 [Dexterity](~selected|dexterity_save)  throw or take [[ 55 (10d10)]] necrotic damage. The target dies if the ray reduces it to 0 hit points.  It would be nice, if the 1d10 Result of the eye ray appears in the chat with all informations and usable buttoms which use the selected token modifier. For example. The DM click´s attack on eye ray: -> it rolls 1d10 and the result appears in chat -> dm decide´s which player is affected (beholder tactics determined by savingthrow needed) -> Player target´s his token and uses the "saving throw button" in chat to use the save roll by his modifire. (It would be also nice to see in chat weather it hits the DC or not) -> the damage taken on a failed save could be rolled in the chat already with the macro -> it would also nice to see a "Add Turn" by another Api script from the macro that adds the turn on count of X=6secounds /Rounds Since i am a total newb on something like this, and it looks like a monster for me. I am just ascing for help or reccomondations to handle something like this. Thank you very much. Greetings

Edited 1591933300
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
A Rollable Table would be the most straightforward way to represent this, but unfortunately you can't create chat buttons or link macros in there - it would just be plain text. Not that I know of anyway. A chat menu would probably be the next option. Start with a token action for the Beholder which whispers the GM something like this (I'm assuming 5E here), sending the GM the chat menu with 6 rolls (or however many are necessary, to cover rolling duplicates and not have to keep clicking the macro): /w gm &{template:npcaction}{{rname=Beholder Ray Attack Menu}}{{description=Rolls: [[1d10]][[1d10]][[1d10]] || [[1d10]][[1d10]][[1d10]] 1. [Charming Ray](~Beholder|CharmingRay) 2. [Paralyzing Ray]...... <and so on> }} The CharmingRay macro would then be what you have written above, and sent to public chat: &{template:npcaction}{{rname=Beholder Ray Attack}}{{name=Target: @{target|t1|token_name} }}{{description=1. A pink Charming Ray appears. @{target|t1|token_name} must succeed on a DC 16 [Wisdom](~selected|wisdom_save) or be charmed by the beholder for >1 hour<  [!act ?{Add or Subtract per Round?|1} ?{Starting Round or Duration?|1} --?{Name?|Round}] , or until the beholder harms the creature}} And so on for every ray. That's.... quite a bit of setup. I hope your campaign has more than one Beholder! Your attacks don't specify that the target takes half damage on a successful save, is this by design? The player takes 0 damage on a successful save? Also, I'm not sure about the Beholder tactics "knowing" the players' numerical saving throws. That can feel pretty meta-gamey for the players.... unless they are reading monster stat-blocks, then fair's fair! Damage rolls are easy, just get rid of the average damage so it's an actual roll in there: take [[ 55 (10d10)]] necrotic damage. would become take [[ 10d10]] necrotic damage. Showing the DC to beat on the saving throw is easily doable, but that is another few macros you will need to create. They will either need to be specific to the Beholder, or the player would have to use a targeting click to grab the relevant DC (potentially annoying). I would say just bold the DC, like **DC 16**, all the rays are the same DC and not hard to remember.
Oosh said: Also, I'm not sure about the Beholder tactics "knowing" the players' numerical saving throws. That can feel pretty meta-gamey for the players.... unless they are reading monster stat-blocks, then fair's fair!   "The Monsters know what they´re doing"  is a nice Book for Combat Tactics i can reccoment it!

Edited 1591966160
Now, the First thing i Set up is the attack. The beholder shoots three of the following magical eye rays at random (reroll duplicates), choosing one to three targets it can see within 120 feet of it: /w gm &{template:npcaction}{{rname=Beholder Snake-Eye|Ray Attack Menu}}{{description=Rolls: [[1d10]]||[[1d10]]||[[1d10]] ----[[1d10]]||[[1d10]]||[[1d10]] 1. [Charming Ray](~Beholder Snake-Eye|CharmingRay) 2. [Paralyzing Ray](~Beholder Snake-Eye|ParalyzingRay) 3. [Fear Ray](~Beholder Snake-Eye|FearRay) 4. [Slow Ray](~Beholder Snake-Eye|SlowRay) 5. [Enervation Ray](~Beholder Snake-Eye|EnervationRay) 6. [Telekinetic Ray](~Beholder Snake-Eye|TelekineticRay) 7. [Sleep Ray](~Beholder Snake-Eye|SleepRay) 8. [Petrification Ray](~Beholder Snake-Eye|PetrificationRay) 9. [Desintegration Ray](~Beholder Snake-Eye|DesintegrationRay) 10. [Death Ray](~Beholder SnakeEye|DeathRay) The thing is: 1. I would like to have the upper description inside the Box. Eye Ray -> Beholder Snake Eye-> DESCRIPTION -> Rolls 2. Each Chat Button (1-10) does not work with the other macros. It misses  No ability was found for %{Beholder Snake-Eye|SleepRay}     for example. I tried to add Abilitys on the other folder. But then it just links  Beholder Snake-Eye Ray Attack Target: Phoenix and that´s it. So i think there is something wrong at my macros in the Attributes&Ability Folder. Here they are, its all the same problem to click on them with the First one (see above) &{template:npcaction}{{rname=Beholder Snake-Eye Ray Attack}}{{name=Target: @{target|t1|token_name} }}{{description=1. A pink Charming Ray appears. @{target|t1|token_name} must succeed on a DC 16 [Wisdom Save](~selected|wisdom_save) or be charmed by the beholder for **1 hour**, or until the beholder harms the creature &{template:npcaction}{{rname=Beholder Snake-Eye Ray Attack}}{{name=Target: @{target|t1|token_name} }}{{description=**2.** An orange pralyzing ray appears. **@{target|t1|token_name}** must succeed on a DC 16 [Constitution Save](~selected|constitution_save) or be paralyzed for **1 minute**. **@{target|t1|token_name}** can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. &{template:npcaction}{{rname=Beholder Snake-Eye Ray Attack}}{{name=Target: @{target|t1|token_name} }}{{description=**3.** A purple Fear Ray appears. **@{target|t1|token_name}** must succeed on a DC 16 [Wisdom Save](~selected|wisdom_save) throw or be frightened for **1 minute**. **@{target|t1|token_name}** can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. &{template:npcaction}{{rname=Beholder Snake-Eye Ray Attack}}{{name=Target: @{target|t1|token_name} }}{{description=**4.** A white slowing ray appears. **@{target|t1|token_name}** must succeed on a DC 16 [Dexterity Save](~selected|dexterity_save) . On a failed save, **@{target|t1|token_name}** speed is halved for **1 minute**. In addition, **@{target|t1|token_name}** can´t take reactions, and he/she can take either an action or a bonus action on its turn, not both. **@{target|t1|token_name}** can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. &{template:npcaction}{{rname=Beholder Snake-Eye Ray Attack}}{{name=Target: @{target|t1|token_name} }}{{description=**5.** A black-purple enervation ray appears. **@{target|t1|token_name}** must make a DC 16 [Constitution Save](~selected|constitution_save), taking [[8d8]] necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. &{template:npcaction}{{rname=Beholder Snake-Eye Ray Attack}}{{name=Target: @{target|t1|token_name} }}{{description=**6.** A red telekinetic ray appears. **@{target|t1|token_name}** must succeed on a DC 16 [Strength Save](~selected|strength_save) or the beholder moves it up to 30 feet in any direction. It is restrained by the ray´s telekinetic grip until the start of the beholder´s next turn or until the beholder is incapacitated. If the **target** is an object weighing 300 pounds or less that isn´t being worn or carried, it is moved up to 30 feet in any direction. The beholder can also exert fine control on objects with this ray, such as manipulating a simple tool or opening a door or a container. &{template:npcaction}{{rname=Beholder Snake-Eye Ray Attack}}{{name=Target: @{target|t1|token_name} }}{{description=**7.** A blue sleeping ray appears. **@{target|t1|token_name}** must succeed on a DC 16 [Wisdom Save](~selected|wisdom_save) throw or fall asleep and remain unconscious for **1 minute**. **@{target|t1|token_name}** awakens if it takes damage or another creature takes an action to wake it. This ray has no effect on constructs and undead. &{template:npcaction}{{rname=Beholder Snake-Eye Ray Attack}}{{name=Target: @{target|t1|token_name} }}{{description=**8.** A greyish petrification ray appears. **@{target|t1|token_name}** must make a DC 16 [Dexterity Save](~selected|dexterity_save) throw. On a failed save, **@{target|t1|token_name}** begins to turn to stone and is restrained. He/She must repeat the saving throw at the end of its next turn. On a success, the effect ends. On a failure, the creature is petrified until freed by the greater restoration spell or other magic. &{template:npcaction}{{rname=Beholder Snake-Eye Ray Attack}}{{name=Target: @{target|t1|token_name} }}{{description=**9.** A black desintegration ray appears.**@{target|t1|token_name}** must succeed on a DC 16 [Dexterity Save](~selected|dexterity_save) throw or take [[10d8]] force damage. If this damage reduces **@{target|t1|token_name}** to 0 hit points, his/her body becomes a pile of fine gray dust. If the **target** is a Large or smaller nonmagical object or creation of magical force, it is disintegrated without a saving throw. If the **target** is a Huge or larger object or creation of magical force, this ray disintegrates a 10-foot cube of it. &{template:npcaction}{{rname=Beholder Snake-Eye Ray Attack}}{{name=Target: @{target|t1|token_name} }}{{description=**10.** A black-red ray of Death appears. **@{target|t1|token_name}** must succeed on a DC 16 [Dexterity Save](~selected|dexterity_save) or take [[10d10]] necrotic damage. The target dies if the ray reduces it to 0 hit points. These 10 macros works as a solomacro for each attack pretty well and can be edited very easy for personal use. The only problem is, i would like to click the first chat button´s after rolling the macro. How can i fix that. Thank you so far, you were a pretty decent help to figure this out a bit^^ Greetings
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Okay, it looks like you've made a good start! The bit those macros are all missing is the closing curlies: }} They're easy to miss in the description field because it's where most of the text goes: I've found it good practice to start the field, punch enter a few times and put your closing brackets in before you get carried away with the text. Like this: The beholder shoots three of the following magical eye rays at random (reroll duplicates), choosing one to three targets it can see within 120 feet of it: /w gm &{template:npcaction}{{rname=Beholder Snake-Eye|Ray Attack Menu}}{{description=Rolls: [[1d10]]||[[1d10]]||[[1d10]] ----[[1d10]]||[[1d10]]||[[1d10]] 1. [Charming Ray](~Beholder Snake-Eye|CharmingRay) 2. [Paralyzing Ray](~Beholder Snake-Eye|ParalyzingRay) 3. [Fear Ray](~Beholder Snake-Eye|FearRay) 4..... }} You can remove the extra line breaks at the end, once your macro is working, but at least you know your description field is closed off. I've spent hours jerking around with inline rolls thinking they were breaking my template, only to realise I forgot the closing brackets :( It looks like you forgot the }} on all of those macros! If you want the first line of the initial macro inside the template, just move it into the description field of the template. Also, you're missing a hyphen in the Death Ray macro reference: 10. [Death Ray](~Beholder SnakeEye|DeathRay) Hopefully it all works once you get those }} in there!

Edited 1592402271
Thank you very much! It works! :) For Everyone - looking for a Beholder Eye Ray Macro: Copy this in the "eye ray attack action" of your beholder: &{template:npcaction}{{rname=Beholder|Ray Attack Menu}}{{description=The beholder shoots three of the following magical eye rays at random (reroll duplicates), choosing one to three targets it can see within 120 feet of it: Rolls: [[1d10]]||[[1d10]]||[[1d10]] ----**Reroll 1-3**[[1d10]]||[[1d10]]||[[1d10]] 01. [Charming Ray](~Beholder|CharmRay) 02. [Paralyzing Ray](~Beholder|ParalyzingRay) 03. [Fear Ray](~Beholder|FearRay) 04. [Slow Ray](~Beholder|SlowRay) 05. [Enervation Ray](~Beholder|EnervationRay) 06. [Telekinetic Ray](~Beholder|TelekineticRay) 07. [Sleep Ray](~Beholder|SleepRay) 08. [Petrification Ray](~Beholder|PetrificationRay) 09. [Desintegration Ray](~Beholder|DesintegrationRay) 10. [Death Ray](~Beholder|DeathRay) }} After that, you have to checkout the "Attributes & Abilies" Page on your character sheet to +Add Abilities: CharmRay: &{template:npcaction}{{rname=Charming Eye Ray Attack}}{{name=Target: @{target|t1|token_name} }}{{description=1. A pink Charming Ray appears. @{target|t1|token_name} must succeed on a **DC 16** [Wisdom Save](~selected|wisdom_save) or be charmed by the beholder for **1 hour**, or until the beholder harms the creature }} ParalyzingRay: &{template:npcaction}{{rname=Paralyzing Eye Ray Attack}}{{name=Target: @{target|t1|token_name} }}{{description=**2.** An orange pralyzing ray appears. **@{target|t1|token_name}** must succeed on a **DC 16** [Constitution Save](~selected|constitution_save) or be paralyzed for **1 minute**. **@{target|t1|token_name}** can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. }} FearRay: &{template:npcaction}{{rname=Fear Eye Ray Attack}}{{name=Target: @{target|t1|token_name} }}{{description=**3.** A purple Fear Ray appears. **@{target|t1|token_name}** must succeed on a **DC 16** [Wisdom Save](~selected|wisdom_save) throw or be frightened for **1 minute**. **@{target|t1|token_name}** can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. }} SlowRay: &{template:npcaction}{{rname=Slow Eye Ray Attack}}{{name=Target: @{target|t1|token_name} }}{{description=**4.** A white slowing ray appears. **@{target|t1|token_name}** must succeed on a **DC 16** [Dexterity Save](~selected|dexterity_save) . On a failed save, **@{target|t1|token_name}** speed is halved for **1 minute**. In addition, **@{target|t1|token_name}** can´t take reactions, and he/she can take either an action or a bonus action on its turn, not both. **@{target|t1|token_name}** can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.}} EnervationRay: &{template:npcaction}{{rname=Enervation Eye Ray Attack}}{{name=Target: @{target|t1|token_name} }}{{description=**5.** A black-purple enervation ray appears. **@{target|t1|token_name}** must make a **DC 16** [Constitution Save](~selected|constitution_save), taking [[8d8]] ***necrotic damage** on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. }} TelekineticRay: &{template:npcaction}{{rname=Telekinetic Eye Ray Attack}}{{name=Target: @{target|t1|token_name} }}{{description=**6.** A red telekinetic ray appears. **@{target|t1|token_name}** must succeed on a **DC 16** [Strength Save](~selected|strength_save) or the beholder moves it up to 30 feet in any direction. It is restrained by the ray´s telekinetic grip until the start of the beholder´s next turn or until the beholder is incapacitated. If the **target** is an object weighing 300 pounds or less that isn´t being worn or carried, it is moved up to 30 feet in any direction. The beholder can also exert fine control on objects with this ray, such as manipulating a simple tool or opening a door or a container.}} SleepRay: &{template:npcaction}{{rname=Sleeping Eye Ray Attack}}{{name=Target: @{target|t1|token_name} }}{{description=**7.** A blue sleeping ray appears. **@{target|t1|token_name}** must succeed on a **DC 16** [Wisdom Save](~selected|wisdom_save) throw or fall asleep and remain unconscious for **1 minute**. **@{target|t1|token_name}** awakens if it takes damage or another creature takes an action to wake it. This ray has no effect on constructs and undead.}} PetrificationRay: &{template:npcaction}{{rname=Petrification Eye Ray Attack}}{{name=Target: @{target|t1|token_name} }}{{description=**8.** A greyish petrification ray appears. **@{target|t1|token_name}** must make a **DC 16** [Dexterity Save](~selected|dexterity_save) throw. On a failed save, **@{target|t1|token_name}** begins to turn to stone and is restrained. He/She must repeat the saving throw at the end of its next turn. On a success, the effect ends. On a failure, the creature is petrified until freed by the greater restoration spell or other magic.}} DesintegrationRay: &{template:npcaction}{{rname=Desintegration Eye Ray Attack}}{{name=Target: @{target|t1|token_name} }}{{description=**9.** A black desintegration ray appears.**@{target|t1|token_name}** must succeed on a **DC 16** [Dexterity Save](~selected|dexterity_save) throw or take [[10d8]] **force damage**. If this damage reduces **@{target|t1|token_name}** to 0 hit points, his/her body becomes a pile of fine gray dust. If the **target** is a Large or smaller nonmagical object or creation of magical force, it is disintegrated without a saving throw. If the **target** is a Huge or larger object or creation of magical force, this ray disintegrates a 10-foot cube of it. }} DeathRay: &{template:npcaction}{{rname=Death Eye Ray Attack}}{{name=Target: @{target|t1|token_name} }}{{description=**10.** A black-red ray of Death appears. **@{target|t1|token_name}** must succeed on a **DC 16** [Dexterity Save](~selected|dexterity_save) or take [[10d10]] **necrotic damage**. The target dies if the ray reduces it to 0 hit points. }} Hope this thing is helpfull for others aswell! Greetings, and my Thanks to Oosh :)
Amazing macro and timing!  Party is about to fight a beholder tonight after a few real-world months build-up.  I fixed the spelling of "Disintegrate" and made it "Ray Attacks" instead of "Menu" to fit on one line, but otherwise this worked just as I would have dreamed =D
Just wanted to say thanks for this, it's brilliant! I'm stilly pretty new to R20, and I'm learning a lot. I have no need of a Beholder at the moment, but I built one jus so I could see how you put this all together. 😃 Thanks for sharing! M
This is beautiful~ Thank you so much for this wondrous macro~