Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Star Frontiers PC Sheet Questions (Black Falcon where are you?)

As  Black Falcon is the creator and suggests we find him to ask questions, I am doing that. I tried a search for his name, but came up empty, so I am coming here to as for him. But, as some of you might know the answers to my questions, as well, I am going to post them here. (These are the ones in my head now, I will likely have more later. 😉 Also, please understand that I am very much a newbie here.) 1. How can I make the sheet so that the players only see the Info & Bio stuff for my NPC sheets, not the actual character sheet? 2. For some reason, the attacks don't seem to show up/occur for the character sheet I am making now (the NPC).Meaning, that when I use the attack button next to the weapon on the front sheet (I have the weapon built out on the Combat Tech sheet), it goes through the various prompts like it is making an attack, but the Chat Box just jumps a bit, but nothing comes out. When I do it with the previously made PCs, it seems to work fine. 3. Under the Attributes & Abilities tab there seems to be a lot of "junk." Specifically some things that aren't part of this character sheet, as in things from other character sheets. (I saw some things listed that would be on the Rolemaster/MERP sheet, some things from a D&D sheet, etc...) What is that about? Connected to this issue is that on some the character sheets it will have the ARMOR and AMMO listed there, but some don't, or just have one or the other. How is that? I have been having to add in the data in this section so that it can be linked to the Token, but isn't it supposed to pull it from the other parts of the character sheet? 4. The API ChatSetAttr: So, I am a "Pro User" now (I assume that just means I am spending money, not that I am a professional 😁), so I can add this. Exactly what does it do? And how do I and my players go about using it during the game? Well, that is all for now - the ice cream truck is here, so I gotta go - thanks for checking this out. Any help I can get is welcome.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I cant answer number #2, because I dont play the game. I'll give the others a stab. #1: some terminology to make this less confusing. In roll20, that thing that contains the Bio, Character Sheet and Attributes & Abilities tab is officially called a Journal. We all call it a character sheet, but doing so makes it confusing in questions like this. So I'll call it a Journal here. At the top of the Journal, above those tabs, there should be an Edit button. Click on that to open a new page. On that page, on the right, you'll see Name , In Player's Journals , and Can be Edited and Controlled By . That last one is the one you want to check. Just delete everything in there. Once that's done, players will not see the Character Sheet tab. #3: if youre seeing junk from other character sheets, this suggests you've had different character sheets in this campaign, or the characters have been imported from another campaign that has used different sheets. In the Campaign's Settings, you can choose different character sheets- like Star Frontiers, Space master, and so on. If you change character sheets, it loads all the attributes in that sheet to every character in your campaign. When you switch to another character sheet, it doesnt remove them - it just loads all the attributes from the new sheet as well. If characters have been imported from another campaign that has used other sheets, they'll bring their attributes with them. If you want to start with a completely clean Journal, that only has attributes from the current sheet, just create a new blank Journal, and manually copy over the stats you need. For the second half of your question: if you're using a Character Sheet, never use the Attributes list on the Attributes & Abilities tab (exception: you may use it to manually create attributes that do not exist on the character sheet). The Attributes list is a legacy feature that predates Character Sheets, and it does not show a complete set of attributes. There are several types of attributes that will never show up there (those still at default values, those in repeating sections, automatically calculating attributes, and others).  You should ignore that list, and just use the Character Sheet tab.  #4) Normally when people choose a script, it's to serve a purpose, so they know what it does. So this question puzzles me. Is there a reason you want to use chatSetAttr? This script is very handy for making changes to attribute values to multiple characters at once. It does come with help instructions, which are admittedly very heavy, but it's a pretty simple script to use once you get down to it. But it's also dangerous if you dont know what you're doing - you could overwrite players stats. 
GiGs , thanks for responding. Some very helpful stuff - and in the case of #1 made me realize why I was still seeing it even when I switched to "join as a player" - because I still had Rand (Me) able to edit, etc... Doh! As for #3, I was wondering if that is what it was. It would be nice if there was a button you could push that would keep that from happening... I guess what I need to do is delete the characters (is there a way to print them out?) and remake them from scratch. Man! I don't want to have to retype all that info. :-{  #4: If I remember right (I am not finding where he talks about it right now) that the ChatSetAttr is supposed to help out in combat, make things run smoother/quicker. I am thinking that I will probably stick to the basics for now, until I get a better handle on APIs (currently, I don't even have a hand near them, so any "handling" is likely not an option). Thanks again for responding. Stay safe.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Regarding #4, there aren't any scripts to solve a generic problem like "make things run faster in combat". What you do is figure out exactly what problem you want to solve, and then get the scripts that help that problem. Yes, this will likely have the end result of making things run faster in combat, but everyone's needs are different, and each script is for a very specific kind of thing. You need to get the ones that fit your needs.
I know Black Falcon, and helped him playtest this sheet a bit but it has been a long while.  I'll see if I can get him to come respond.
Falcon
Pro
Sheet Author
Hey guys - sorry.  I have been out of the gaming community for quite a while.  Real Life has taken a big turn. Gigs - thanks for some of the assistance. Randall - the best way is to add me to your game and let's pick a time and I can go over the sheet in detail with you.  I was in the middle of updating the sheet for additional capability when things changed. I spent about 1,000+ hours of volunteer work on this sheet when I created it and have several custom versions of it that I have used to play my game.  I would be happy to help you in anyway I can to make your SF game better. Tom - I am willing to give this (this is for you Tom) sheet to someone that has more programming and is more capable than myself.

Edited 1592156036
I hope the "big turn" is all good stuff for you Falcon.If not, I hope it gets better. Thanks for getting back to me. As I said, I am new here, so let me make sure that I have adding a new player down. (I don't have the game listed as public yet, I am waiting to see what I can do first.) I go to my game and hit the "Invite Players" button. From there I can either email you (so long as I have your email address, which I don't, so I think it will be:)  or copy the invite link and get it to you another way. Exactly how, I forget, but I guess by PMing you - which I can do now that I can see your profile. (I could not figure out how to find a particular users profile.) For your info: I have nuked the previous PCs I had and have begun to rebuild them. Now they don't have any of the junk from the previous sheets I tested out. (I was not sure of which rules system I was going to use, plus I was just playing around trying to figure out stuff.) Let me know when you want me to PM you with the link and I shall. Thanks again for responding. PS: Who on the Roll20 staff do I have to (blow, threaten, pay-off, whatever) to get them to add these lesser known games to the "Playing" list? Every time I try to type it in, it says no such game. I have to put in "Other System." Also, could some of the tutorials on YouTube not be D&D 5e or Pathfinder? Sheesh! ;-)