Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

FX application help request

Roll 20 Mods, I have used fx's such as "/fx breath-fire @{target|Caster|token_id} @{target|Foe|token_id}" for years now and they have historically activated immediately after the command has been implemented.   In the last few months, since the pandemic has lead to increased users, using fx's has been frustrating because they activate long after the command - perhaps 30 seconds or more on a Friday evening here in California. I get that there is more demand on your system, but is there a way on my end to make the fx be more in line with the action being performed? Regards, Barry
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I had that problem for a while before I discovered that having a second instance of the game open (for recording purposes) slowed FX to a crawl. I know this is probably not your case, but throwing it out there on the off chance.
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I've randomly had this issue, sometimes with FX going off 15 minutes after the macro was run. I pretty much stopped using them due the lag, and to not being able to hardcode token_id's and all the extra target clicks.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Yeah, I pretty much stopped using them after the shiny new-ness wore off, mostly due to unpredictable lag.
I've had the instance where it didn't fire for me immediately, but it did for my players. Other times, I've tried several fx and they haven't done everything, then they all fire one straight after another. It seems like there might be some buffering happening somewhere, and the buffer doesn't get passed to the graphics card until something else triggers the push.
The Fx is delayed a lot, I have also seen a !roll20AM command stick. It can be disconcerting when you open up a game a couple of days later and there is an explosion, this happened to me the other day.