Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Are a lot of people still having audio/video problems?

It's been six or seven months since I played on Roll20 (haven't been playing RPGs at all because sometimes that happens), but prior to that, I hadn't experienced any WebRTC A/V issues in a really long time. The library that I work for is trying to start an online DnD program, and we're discussing what to use for A/V. The others in the group that have used Roll20 insist that they're still seeing the same old problems where, for example, person A will be able to hear persons B,C and D, but not person E. But person C can't hear person A or person D, so a few people will reconnect and now the problems are all shuffled around. I'm wondering if a lot of people are still seeing this, or if a solution has been found, because if this is still an ongoing thing, I'd rather just not mess with the integrated A/V at all, and use something else. Thanks.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Anecdotally, performance is very hit and miss. Some folks can't depend on it at all, others have never had any issues to speak of. The only common thread I have seen is that as the number of connections goes up, reliability goes down. My breaking point seems to be over four connections (including GM).
keithcurtis said: Anecdotally, performance is very hit and miss. Some folks can't depend on it at all, others have never had any issues to speak of... Yeah, see, that's been it for me. I haven't personally experienced this issue with anyone I've played with over the last couple of years, but it does still seem to be a problem for a lot of people. I also don't think I've been in a game with more than four or five total players in quite a while, so that could certainly be part of it.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
In the last month , we've released several improvements to the Voice and Video chat system. Most of these have all been to improve performance and user experience. The rest have been tools to help us monitor and improve the features. 
Kenton said: In the last month , we've released several improvements to the Voice and Video chat system. Most of these have all been to improve performance and user experience. The rest have been tools to help us monitor and improve the features.  Awesome. We're going to do a test game tonight, and we'll be using Roll20 A/V to start. Thanks for all your hard work on this. :)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Cool. It's probably time to give that another test.
Played a game on Monday, with seven people, and only one person was having trouble with audio. No one could hear him. The WebRTC test showed everything fine with his system, and he tried on two different browsers. We ended up having to switch to Discord. However, I'm convinced that this was nothing to do with Roll20. I think it was some kind of browser permission problem, but we didn't want to spend too much time trying to troubleshoot it, so we switched.