Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Macro reverting html entries to normal characters

Created the following macro for my campaign and it's working like I want. &{template:pc} {{showchar=[[1]]}} {{charname=@{selected|character_name}}} ?{Potion | Cure Light Wounds, {{name=Potion of Cure Light Wounds}} {{roll=[[1d8+1]]}} | Cure Moderate Wounds, {{name=Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds}} {{roll=[[2d8+3]]}} | Cure Serious Wounds, {{name=Potion of Cure Critical Wounds}} {{roll=[[3d8+5]]}} } However, when I want to review/edit this macro, the formula has reverted automatically the html to their normal characters. &{template:pc} {{showchar=[[1]]}} {{charname=@{selected|character_name}}} ?{Potion | Cure Light Wounds, {{name=Potion of Cure Light Wounds}} {{roll=[[1d8+1]]}} | Cure Moderate Wounds, {{name=Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds}} {{roll=[[2d8+3]]}} | Cure Serious Wounds, {{name=Potion of Cure Critical Wounds}} {{roll=[[3d8+5]]}} } If I were to run this macro after this reversion, it will fail because of Roll20's limit recognizing nested inquiries. Is there a way to prevent this? I'm currently having to keep a backup copy of my macros so I can overwrite the reversion before I make any further changes. Thanks.
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
This is known behaviour, it's listed somewhere in the wiki (probably buried a bit!). The best way is to save it as an Ability macro which does not suffer from the same problem. Here's some macro character sheet tips!
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You can continue to use global macros from the collection tab if you need/want to but as you've noticed you can NEVER open them again after the initial save. For that reason it is advised to have them saved elsewhere for edit/replacement. Holding them as abilities on a sheet is a nice local way of doing just that with the added benefit of being able to transmogrify/vault them to other games should you want to share your macros ;)
Thank you, all. Appreciate the clarification.