Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Weapon Arcs with Auras

I am considering doing some spaceship miniature warfare and am wondering if it is possible to use auras to display ship weapon arcs.  I think it would be neat if each weapon system has a correlating color and each weapon fan could also display both firing arc and range.  
Maybe you could make a token for every weapon with a visible aura of it´s range and choosing a colour for the damage tipe. you could place the token wherever you wanted to.
That is pretty much what I had in mind.  I know we have aura manipulation scripts to make it easier.  You could designate a color for each weapon system and the aura itself displays the range. I just didn't know if it was possible to limit an aura to within a set of degrees.  So, frontal 90 degree arc for instance.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
You couldn't do it with auras as they are always a full circle.  You could get the same effect with a script that draws paths with transparent colors, and then just have them follow the token and maintain the right orientation.  What sorts of inputs would you want for that, probably direction, angle, range, and color?
Yeah I think that would cover it.  Some weapon fans might be bigger and encompass more arc, like the difference between turrets and fixed systems.    
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
But they could always be expressed as a Direction, Angle, Range, and Color, right? 
Yeah I am pretty sure.  I can't think of anything else to add.  
Man If you are volunteering I would really appreciate it.   I am not sure what a 'path' is but if it functions like we think it would, it will be really appealing to all kinds of war gamers.  I am thinking of the space combat game Full Thrust.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Yup, it sounds like fun.  Path is a drawing, like you'd make with the drawing tools.  You can actually set them to be transparent with #RRGGBBAA color values, so I'd just draw a path with the right shape, then move and rotate it around the token when it gets moved.  Also provide some commands to remove them.  I'll probably put them on the top of the Map layer so they are visible but not selectable.  Possibly add the option to put GM layer paths if you want to be able to check them without showing players.  Then I'll see what I can add as far as other goodies (Range number labeling, things like that).
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Sorry for the delay, see if this meets your needs:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/8996556/script-weaponarcs-visible-arcs-that-follow-your-token-and-maintain-their-relative-rotation/?pageforid=8996556#post-8996556" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/8996556/script-weaponarcs-visible-arcs-that-follow-your-token-and-maintain-their-relative-rotation/?pageforid=8996556#post-8996556</a>