Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Text Editor. The tool that never does things as it should.

I searched the forums and the threads I found were either not relatable, or old enough to be archived/closed. So here we go. We use the same text editor here on the forums, as we do for the handouts in the game, and ... I'm constantly getting frustrated with it when I'm trying to format the text to look nice, especially in handouts where we might want to format it more, and different, compared to a forum post. There are a lot of inconsistencies with how it works, or rather, doesn't work, and just trying to make a bullet list, or a table, can sometimes be very time consuming as things jump around, get nested into one another even when they shouldn't, and wait... I just clicked the bullet-list button on that row, why did that row instead move outside and above the button-list, and why did that other table that was 2 entire sections of text above this completely separate bullet list suddenly move down below the bullet list... I... what? And that's just one of the things that happened today. I have a handout which has colors, headers, linebreaks, tables, bulletlists, horizontal lines and stuff, all separated with either enter... or shift+enter if it's supposed to be within the same section. I also have some completely empty rows just to make sure that different parts of the text is separate from the others.... but still... basically the entire document sometimes interacts and does weird things when I'm trying to apply stuff on a specific part and/or place. So, since I couldn't find an open post, can we try to write a comprehensive list of the many issues that the text editor has? (Instead of just writing angry complaints without giving any information after all) So, before we start this list, I wanted to add that, I don't want either this post, or the thread itself to just sound like an angry complain-thread, but rather, a constructive and comprehensive list of errors, so it's easier to see what is not working as intended. Therefore, if this post does sounds like an "angry ranty post", then I'll gladly take feedback/suggestions on how to rephrase that as well, while still being informative about what the topic is about. I will also try to keep the list below updated if you find more things to add to to the list, or rephrase an issue on the list if you have a phrase that describes the same issue in a better and easier to understand way. :) The table seems to add a lot of extra space under the text inside a cell, sometimes big enough to look like you have an extra line break there, but you don't. In a bulletlist, you can make a nested bulletlist inside by using the indent button. But sometimes that doesn't work and will instead produce a vast variety of unexpected results. Sometimes making the entire document into a bulletlist. Sometimes moving the intended and indented line out and above the actual bulletlist. Sometimes other text sections from other places in the document can jump around as well. When using the preset styles in the "magic wand" dropdown, very often, them seem impossible to remove afterwards. This includes using Ctrl+Z to undo. It will not undo the added preset format. I remember one time when I spent 30 minutes trying to remove a code-block from a textline, but it refused. I eventually had to delete the textblock and rewrite it from scratch (for some reason it refused to copy the text as well). When copy pasting text from other sources with formatting, such as Google Documents and stuff, that can sometimes bypass the frustrations of using the text editor here, but while it works sometimes, it also... doesn't work sometimes. An example from today was when the text I pasted came in like it should, except the line-height distance was pretty much 3 rows. Which looked as if I had added two empty rows between the lines. I could not remove those in any way unless I used the Remove Font Style button, which eliminated the purpose of copy pasting the text to begin with. Neither enter, or shift enter gave me regular line-height, it was stuck at 3 full rows of line-height. If we choose to use the pure editor, without fiddling with external documents formatting, it is often even more prone to the errors above, and using the same button may sometimes give vastly different results, even when you're doing it on different rows/sections that are formatted the very same way. This is more of an interface petpeeve, but it would also be nice if we could scale the texteditor down further. We can already scale it infinite in width by resizing the handout window, but scaling it downwards results in a complete stop after just a few lines. And with larger handouts, it would be nice to have a bigger overview without having to scroll every 10th row do to the very narrow editor window. So that's what I have right now, and as stated above. I'll update it with your stuff too when I can, and I also take feedback for rephrasing things to make it easier to understand, less wordy, and most of all, less "angry ranty" which I'd like to avoid. :) Cheers! Note: The picture below is a screenshot of the thing I mentioned above, with the 3 row line-heights. I can also add that the second bullet, the one below the table, kept jumping around, and it took about 10 minutes just to actually get that bulletpoint where it is in the screenshot, since it sometimes moved to above the first bullet (below "So you just rolled!"). It also decided to jump up to above the green header. Aaaaand, there is another table higher up (if you see the scrollbar the document is much longer than this, and there are several sections above) which is a 1 row 2 column table, in a separate table inside another section way above this Wild Surge header.... for some reason, half the text... in both the table cells.... jumped out of the cells and ended up beneath the second bullet point in this picture... for some reason. Oh, and the bold text in the bottom is not bold in the Google Docs, and wasn't bold when I pasted it, but turned bold when I saved he handout.
Maybe this thread can help <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4760116/html-formatting-of-handouts" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4760116/html-formatting-of-handouts</a>