Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Let's FIX Mongoose Traveller 2e sheet!

Thanks @Fabian.D for writing the Traveller 2e roll20 sheet! As has been said before, it has a flaw, in that it appears to be always rolling 3d6 and taking the lowest two, in other words, as if you have a BANE. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/8421572/slug%7D" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/8421572/slug%7D</a> So we need a PRO user to fix that and find a solution to support BANE/NORMAL/BOON rolls. Any volunteers?
Martin P.
Pro
Sheet Author
The easy fix I've just hacked out changes the roll macro (for Admin in this case) from this: &lt; button name =" roll_Admin " type =" roll " value =' &amp;{template:skill-general} {{skill= Admin }} {{character= @{character_name} }} {{roll= [[(2d6 + [[@{skilltotal-Admin}]] + ?{Modifier|0}[MOD])]] }} {{bb=[[(1d6)]]}} ' &gt; To this: &lt;button name="roll_Admin" type="roll" value='&amp;{template:skill-general} {{skill= Admin }} {{character= @{character_name} }} {{roll= [[(?{Type?|Normal,2d6|Boon,3d6kh2|Bane,3d6kl2} + [[@{skilltotal-Admin}]] + ?{Modifier|0}[MOD])]] }}' &gt; The downside is you now get two query dialogs for each roll, one for type and one for modifier. The other (nicer) option would be to add different buttons to the sheet, like this: &lt;button name="roll_Admin" type="roll" value='&amp;{template:skill-general} {{skill= Admin }} {{character= @{character_name} }} {{roll= [[(2d6 + [[@{skilltotal-Admin}]] + ?{Modifier|0}[MOD])]] }}' &gt; &lt;div class="sheet-button_header"&gt;Admin&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/button&gt; &lt;button name="roll_Admin_boon" type="roll" value='&amp;{template:skill-general} {{skill= Admin (Boon) }} {{character= @{character_name} }} {{roll= [[(3d6kh2 + [[@{skilltotal-Admin}]] + ?{Modifier|0}[MOD])]] }}' &gt; &lt;div class="sheet-button_header"&gt;+&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/button&gt; &lt;button name="roll_Admin_bane" type="roll" value='&amp;{template:skill-general} {{skill= Admin (Bane) }} {{character= @{character_name} }} {{roll= [[(3d6kl2 + [[@{skilltotal-Admin}]] + ?{Modifier|0}[MOD])]] }}' &gt; &lt;div class="sheet-button_header"&gt;-&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/button&gt; which would keep it to only one query dialog, but needs a bit of css work to fit the buttons in neatly. A nicer outcome I think, if it can be made to look good, because you also get the visual in the output that it was a Boon/Bane roll. It's probably better to have a different button for the odd occasion you use Boon/Bane rather than add an extra drop-down and button click to each roll. In either case the roll templates will need patching to remove the existing Boon/Bane die that appears at the bottom. I'll have a closer look at the css formatting for the buttons. I'm running Traveller at Virtual Expo in 4 weeks, so it would be nice to have the sheet spruced up by then, if anyone else is having a go at this.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
It might not be a good idea to set different buttons for each mode, since many people will use macros, not the character sheet to launch their buttons. A better option, if you were going to have two ioptions, would be two buttons: one which is normal, no bans, boons, etc one which contains a query, letting you choose normal, bane, boon Most of the time people will be using the first one, after all.
I think the three button solution is easy to understand by the new/casual punter, and if people are using macros then they know what they are doing anyway.
Martin P.
Pro
Sheet Author
OK, took me a while but I think I've got a decent solution that should hopefully be acceptable to everyone. Code is here if anyone wants to try it out:&nbsp; <a href="https://github.com/mfcp-git/roll20-character-sheets/tree/mongoose-trav-2e/Mongoose_Traveller2e" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/mfcp-git/roll20-character-sheets/tree/mongoose-trav-2e/Mongoose_Traveller2e</a> Changes New setting to choose roll behaviour, has 3 options: Legacy. As before, rolls extra d6 and lets the player do the calculating. Prompt. On every roll queries the user for normal/boon/bane roll. Toggle. Adds 3 buttons to the top of the sheet to choose the roll type, Normal, Boon and Bane. New setting to choose modifier query behaviour: Yes. As before, always queries the player for a modifier. No. Never queries for a modifier. Toggle. Adds 2 buttons to the top of the sheet to choose whether to query for a modifier, Yes and No. These can be set from the Game Settings, or from a new Settings section that is hidden at the top of the sheet. Can folks have a look and let me know what they think? I've created a test game here:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/join/8146325/el4DlA" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/join/8146325/el4DlA</a>
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
This sounds like t should satisfy everyone. I dont have time to check out the campaign, but can you describe in a bit more detail what the difference between these two settings are. Aren't they for the same thing?
Martin P.
Pro
Sheet Author
The two settings work the same way but are different things. The first is for choosing how boon/bane rolls work and the second is to add a static number (the roll query that happens on every roll in the current sheet) such as the effect from a previous roll in a task chain. It's one of my pet peeves that the modifier query dialog keeps popping up, my players keep missing it and wondering why their roll hasn't happened. It's especially frequent with the players who have popped the character sheet out into a separate window. With the new settings you can have it so that it's single click to roll normally, with one more click for boon/bane rolls or rolls with a bonus/penalty. A picture of a roll with modifier set to "Yes" and the roll query dialog up: Setting it to "No" means no roll query, just roll the dice.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
ahh i see, i was conflating the two things in my head.
I like it Martin. My Traveller game sheets changed between one session to the next with the behavior. After the initial "what the...." my group rallied and like being asked for boon/bane. It'd be nice if it was a single dialogue: if there was a radio button for normal/boon/bane AND a modifier input.
Has anyone attempted to create a dynamic sheet incorporating any of the rules from the companion?
Martin P.
Pro
Sheet Author
Rooksgate said: I like it Martin. My Traveller game sheets changed between one session to the next with the behavior. After the initial "what the...." my group rallied and like being asked for boon/bane. It'd be nice if it was a single dialogue: if there was a radio button for normal/boon/bane AND a modifier input. The recent update isn't mine, I've been waiting to see if the original author was going to respond to my request for a review. I'll push my changes, which include the old behaviour, the new behaviour and what I think is a better option with the buttons. For the roll queries (the dialog boxes) Roll20 doesn't support having more than one variable per dialog. To do that you'd probably have to start using the JS APIs, and I think the other options are cleaner.
Please push..
Thanks for the work that has been done on this to date. I have 2 questions and it could just be &nbsp;me not fully understanding the sheet yet. 1. Has anyone else run into the issue where you can only have 1 instance of a character open or even 1 character sheet open at a time and should you try to use the 2nd or nth sheet nothing happens on that sheet but the actions are carried out on the 1st sheet. Even happens when the player has their sheet open at the same time the GM does and whoever had it opened first has “control”? I’ve used the DnD5E and Star Trek Adventures sheets for awhile and haven’t run into this issue. 2. How do you handle sheets for ships? Is there a switch I am missing? For instance in the Star Trek Adventures sheet, they have a switch that changes a sheet from a character to a ship sheet. Thanks!
Was this pushed @Martin P. ?
Martin P.
Pro
Sheet Author
Guvnor AKA Dr.Tom said: Was this pushed @Martin P. ? Yes, it should have appeared automatically in any game using the Mongoose 2e sheet. I've certainly been seeing it in my games.
Martin P.
Pro
Sheet Author
SonBae said: Thanks for the work that has been done on this to date. I have 2 questions and it could just be &nbsp;me not fully understanding the sheet yet. 1. Has anyone else run into the issue where you can only have 1 instance of a character open or even 1 character sheet open at a time and should you try to use the 2nd or nth sheet nothing happens on that sheet but the actions are carried out on the 1st sheet. Even happens when the player has their sheet open at the same time the GM does and whoever had it opened first has “control”? I’ve used the DnD5E and Star Trek Adventures sheets for awhile and haven’t run into this issue. 2. How do you handle sheets for ships? Is there a switch I am missing? For instance in the Star Trek Adventures sheet, they have a switch that changes a sheet from a character to a ship sheet. Thanks! Sorry for not responding quicker. I don't think I've seen 1. in my games, but it's behaviour I've seen with simple character sheets plenty of times before. If there is a way to avoid it (and I guess there is, if the 5e and STA sheets don't do it) then I'd be interested to find out what it is. There isn't a ship option on the sheet, although it would be fairly straightforward to add it (as straightforward as anything in Roll20). I've had a brief moment to think about it, but I don't see myself having enough time to add it in the near future. Another option that I'd like would be a simplified NPC sheet, with a single tab. Again, pretty easy to do but not something I'm likely to get around to soon.
Martin P.
Pro
Sheet Author
SonBae said: Thanks for the work that has been done on this to date. I have 2 questions and it could just be &nbsp;me not fully understanding the sheet yet. 1. Has anyone else run into the issue where you can only have 1 instance of a character open or even 1 character sheet open at a time and should you try to use the 2nd or nth sheet nothing happens on that sheet but the actions are carried out on the 1st sheet. Even happens when the player has their sheet open at the same time the GM does and whoever had it opened first has “control”? I’ve used the DnD5E and Star Trek Adventures sheets for awhile and haven’t run into this issue. I had a look at this, and it has been mentioned before in the forums. The problem seems to be that the current sheet is using id's to label the tabs, which really don't work if you have more than one sheet open because id's have to be unique. I've submitted a pull request with the fix for this, hopefully it will make it in the next update and will address your problem. BTW, you might want to add your request for a ship sheet option to the sheet request thread , it's already been requested by someone else so you would be a second vote (although according to the wiki you are actually supposed to post a new thread and/or raise an issue in github).
SonBae said: 1. Has anyone else run into the issue where you can only have 1 instance of a character open or even 1 character sheet open at a time and should you try to use the 2nd or nth sheet nothing happens on that sheet but the actions are carried out on the 1st sheet. Even happens when the player has their sheet open at the same time the GM does and whoever had it opened first has “control”? I’ve used the DnD5E and Star Trek Adventures sheets for awhile and haven’t run into this issue. The sheet uses an older method of "tabs" that wasn't designed for having multiple sheets opened. Newer sheets, such as the afore mentioned DnD5e, use a better, cleaner system, which wasn't available wen the sheet was first made. It can be improved, should some one take the time to do so. &nbsp;A simple fix is to "pop-out" the sheet and they will no longer be linked (whatever the technical term is).&nbsp; &nbsp;
Ahh makes sense....time is always the biggest enemy to us all. I’ll give the pop-out tip a try. Thanks.&nbsp;
Martin P.
Pro
Sheet Author
SonBae said: Ahh makes sense....time is always the biggest enemy to us all. I’ll give the pop-out tip a try. Thanks.&nbsp; When the next update happens (today/tomorrow?) then hopefully the multiple sheet issue will fixed. If you can try it out and let me know, that would great.
Just checked....the tabs look much cleaner AND the issue with only having 1 character sheet open at a time is gone!
@Martin P. has done good