Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Struggling to search spells by source?

High, I'm trying to search spells by source in addition to other search terms. Is this a premium function or is there something I'd need to do to allow that filter option? Sorry, I'm a total noob here, and this is for 5e. My DM only allows PHB and XGtE. Thanks in advance :D
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You can do this using filters via the Compendium on the website here , but I'm not sure if it works with shared content or not. The in-game filters are garbage: the "Spells List" has no useful filters (like class). You can get the full range of filters to work by either clicking Compendium->Spells or by sticking ' Category:"Spells" ' in the search bar and clicking "filter results" just below it. This puts the filtered spells in the right hand bar, sorted by name, with no other information available. I'd highly recommend a phone app or one of the many .xls files floating about on the internet. The Compendium is only useful for finding something if you know the specific thing you're looking for.
Oosh said: You can do this using filters via the Compendium on the website here , but I'm not sure if it works with shared content or not. The in-game filters are garbage: the "Spells List" has no useful filters (like class). You can get the full range of filters to work by either clicking Compendium->Spells or by sticking ' Category:"Spells" ' in the search bar and clicking "filter results" just below it. This puts the filtered spells in the right hand bar, sorted by name, with no other information available. I'd highly recommend a phone app or one of the many .xls files floating about on the internet. The Compendium is only useful for finding something if you know the specific thing you're looking for. Very good advice bud, I'll check out some phone apps right now. Bless you!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Oosh said: You can do this using filters via the Compendium on the website here , but I'm not sure if it works with shared content or not. It will not work with any content you do not personally own. Only in-game sharing is allowed. And yeah, spell filtering is more useful if you already have an idea of what you are looking for. There are entries in the in-game compendium like "Cleric Spells by Name". Don't bother with those. The filtering does not work. It has been reported many times over the years, but apparently it is not an easy fix.