Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Best way to copy party tokens from one page to another?

With or without API. I was interested in Page Navigator, but the part that interests me appears to be broken. Then I saw that someone had done a Map Teleporter, but it required making copies of tokens on the GM layer and didn't seem to work consistently. What's your preferred method for getting the party from the current page to another page, for the start of combat or dungeon exploration or whatnot? 
When using FoW, I just let the players place there characters in a small box that has been made visible. Alternatively we move the tokens together and copy paste them over.
I make sure I have the default tokens for each player set up, and just drag them onto the map. With things like hp and class resources linked to the bars, you don't need to copy, and then paste, and then realize that it pasted the wrong thing, then go back and re-copy, then come back and repaste. Just drag and drop them where you want, bring the players over to the map, and shift-ping them to their location.
Put the tokens there during your prep.  There is no reason for a delay during play and it’s very amateurish to have players pull their own tokens out to a map.  If they’re already placed, you move the ribbon and shift ping them to where the tokens have been placed. 
Ok, I'll have to go back and review my player token default settings. I've had issues in the past with putting them there ahead of time but then (for example) HP aren't properly updated on the new token. Thanks folks.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I pre-place tokens on the map. That way I am positive of where they will land, and I can pre-check to make sure everything is good to go. If it is an unplanned encounter (because players, amiright?) I will arrange the party tokens in close proximity on the old map, copy, and paste onto the new map. Remember anything that you paste will be centered on the last place you clicked on the VTT.
Gold
Forum Champion
As GM, select all of the tokens on "Forest Map". Press Control-C on keyboard (this does COPY). Open the blue icon for Page toolbar. Click to select onto another Page ("Dungeon Map"). Also drag-drop the red Player's ribbon to the "Dungeon Map" now. Click somewhere on the Dungeon Map with your mouse, as GM, to center the focus of pasting. Press Control-V on keyboard (this does PASTE of the tokens).
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I'd suggest two edits to that procedure. I'd move the player flag last, just in case something goes awry (missing or misplaced token). And I usually press Ctrl/Cmd-C about four times. I've had too many times where the command was missed. :)
If the hp aren’t syncing on the tokens, it’s because you haven’t set up the token with ties to hp, ac and a third value as well as sight and a name if you want, and then saved it as the default token for their character sheet.  Once you do that, all future drag outs of that token will be right.
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
keithcurtis said: I'd suggest two edits to that procedure. I'd move the player flag last, just in case something goes awry (missing or misplaced token). And I usually press Ctrl/Cmd-C about four times. I've had too many times where the command was missed. :) I constantly fight the instinct to use keyboard shortcuts on R20, they're too unreliable. I just use the right-click menu.