Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

A problem With the Display name Character limit

Detailed description of the problem So I'm not 100% on if this is where i should put it but i have found a problem that can happen with roll20 Names in game. I not sure if when you Rename your display name in a game if there is a character limit but i have noticed that if it does not it can cause troubles These troubles I have noticed can make it so that smaller computers crash when try to load the name or others will not be able to rejoin the game as they load forever. the problem which i have found is as shown That is my name with so many character it starting to break roll20, now if my compter was worse is posable that i would have been locked out of my campaign so to say (i cant load it) in which i would have to hope that one of the staff could help me in deleting the logs&nbsp; Minimum number of steps to reproduce the problem Now i image that you can just type for a very long time and you can break it but that is not what i did and is not what makes this so easy i used this website&nbsp; <a href="https://lingojam.com/SatanicTextGenerator" rel="nofollow">https://lingojam.com/SatanicTextGenerator</a> In an attempt to make my name creepy, this was done out of boredom and messing around with my players and we found out you can copy the text form the right and put it back in the left as so Now This may seem like it not much of a problem now but if i make a craziness level higher and do it again and again&nbsp; You get this in a short 3 min span (for me mind you that time could vary with load speed) Now while i dont think this will be a common issue let along a normal one but as i said before i can get lock out of my campaign if i did it any more and i would need Roll20 staffs help to fix it which can ruin game night, this also can be used to grief other players. So in all my point is it might be help to put a 1000 character word limit on the display name so this can't happen, as the before image is probably about 60 000 characters or more Description of setup Fire Fox&nbsp; &nbsp; / &nbsp; 79.0 (64-bit Honey and uBlock Origin&nbsp; WIndow 10 Other Images

Edited 1597095579
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Cursed, simply cursed. So in all my point is it might be help to put a 1000 character word limit on the display name so this can't happen, as the before image is probably about 60 000 characters or more More seriously though, I'm not surprised that Roll20 don't like nonstandard symbols/text, in the same way that it's possible to overload the Text Chat if you have unreasonable amount of text/symbols/number entered. I agree they should put in&nbsp; a cap on this. That is my name with so many character it starting to break roll20, now if my compter was worse is posable that i would have been locked out of my campaign so to say (i cant load it) in which i would have to hope that one of the staff could help me in deleting the logs You can delete your chat archive yourself from the Settings dropdown in the games main page, before you enter it.
You can delete your chat archive yourself from the Settings drop down in the games main page, before you enter it. Your right i did not know this, while this does make it better that you can clear i seemed to have missed the first time which can still screw your over if your not able to find it (i mean it not hard to find but im dumb and missed it somehow), and even still i would be better if you were able to avoid in the first play and only have to ask you player to change there name instead of spending time fixing you campaign. i also don't believe that it would be that are of a fix, i could be wrong but i doubt it.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
I agree, Roll20 should put in more safeguards &amp; limits on the Text Chat so more of this kind of things can be avoided.