Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Creating a Floating Counter

This post might just be a suggestion for others who need a simple solution to counting something in the game that isn't a turn (or maybe something that is, if you can't use APIs.) However if someone has a better solution, I'd love to hear it. We have a wild mage and I use an house rule where we roll either at the beginning of the day or entering a new area (depending on if the stability of magic changes daily like weather, or is location based like in Faerun where the weave is damaged). Depending on the result changes the chance of wild surge but the most common result is that every time the wild mage casts, the chance of surge goes up one until a surge happens, then it reset. So I needed a counter. Status markers only count up to 9 and using two for two digits takes a lot of token real estate. I was going to make a multi-sided token of a d20 1-20, but that would be sitting on the map and we'd have to drag it around with the party to keep it in view. I wanted something floating on the UI. So I created a deck with d20 art I stole from the internet. I made the front and back the same image, gave it one card and infinite draw. Let players draw. Now I can just deal to myself or the player, or the player can, every time that number goes up. Hide the hand so it isn't in the way, and the number of cards makes a nice visual counter. As such:

Edited 1597600416
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Robert. That's a good one. I use it for tracking Inspiration, but not for a general counter. You should post this in the  Stupid Tricks  thread.

Edited 1597600692
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I like that trick.  I could see lots of uses for it.
Thanks for the thread direction, Keith.