Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Instructional Videos for Creating Characters?

I am hoping that someone has made some videos on how to create a brand new character sheet (with as many "bells & whistles" as possible), because there are several games that I would like to have the option of running here, but that have no sheets. Looking at the request thread and all the information they want makes me think it just might serve me better to make my own (and maybe learn a little html/css along the way - not a bad thing). So, if there are any videos on the topic, I would greatly appreciate it if they could be linked here in this thread. If anyone is willing to sit down and teach someone who basically knows nothing about programming (the last programming I did was waaaaay back in HS with Basic), that would be even better. ;-)  PS: I did look at the charactersheet wiki and see about copy and pasting the sample ones they have (n both html and css), but they didn't seem to work. Like the sheets wouldn't display in the preview. One ended up being a block of text of the code and the other was just a grey background. I don't know what happened.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
The preview isn't 100%, look at the sheet in-game: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Building_Character_Sheets#Preview_Panel" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Building_Character_Sheets#Preview_Panel</a> Did you paste the code in the right places? Sounds like you might have only placed HTML in the correct field, while misplaced the CSS. It's also possible whatever example you used didn't have much color to begin with. Look at the More template examples and test the CSS Grid Example by Anduh(me). That one is colourful. I am hoping that someone has made some videos on how to create a brand new character sheet (with as many "bells &amp; whistles" as possible), because there are several games that I would like to have the option of running here, but that have no sheets. Looking at the request thread and all the information they want makes me think it just might serve me better to make my own (and maybe learn a little html/css along the way - not a bad thing). I've spent time on improving the wiki documentation so people can pick up on creating character sheets, but this is not an entirely simple thing so you just have to learn some html/Css for this to work, and a video wouldn't help you too much either, or it would be several hours long, and still require people to have basic understanding of HTML/CSS &amp; JavaScript. PS: I did look at the charactersheet wiki and see about copy and pasting the sample ones they have (n both html and css), but they didn't seem to work. Like the sheets wouldn't display in the preview. One ended up being a block of text of the code and the other was just a grey background. I don't know what happened. Read the main page to learn basic building blocks, and look at existing sheets. look at the numerous articles that goes into detail on how to create more bells &amp; whistles.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Randall T. said: PS: I did look at the charactersheet wiki and see about copy and pasting the sample ones they have (n both html and css), but they didn't seem to work. Like the sheets wouldn't display in the preview. One ended up being a block of text of the code and the other was just a grey background. I don't know what happened. Just to add a minor point: never use the preview. It isn't 100% accurate. What you should absolutely use is the Custom Sheet Sandbox.&nbsp;
Did you paste the code in the right places? Sounds like you might have only placed HTML in the correct field, while misplaced the CSS. It's also possible whatever example you used didn't have much color to begin with. Well, that makes it sound like I need to do both... I didn't do that. Oops, Like I said: I don't know much about this stuff. I will try that...