Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Obtain 3D dice results for API usage

Score + 50
Sam M.
Pro
Sheet Author
Currently, when 3D dice are rolled via API, their results are not retained and the API just rerolls them in the background. Being able to use the API at the same time as 3D dice without worrying about what I actually rolled would be awesome.
Alex L.
Pro
Sheet Author
I think I would rather be able to show a fake 3d dice from the API that rolls like a normal one but shows a number specified in the function call, letting you use the already available roll functions but represented as 3d dice on the table.
Sam M.
Pro
Sheet Author
The problem with that is the 3D dice are rolled with a physics engine, so telling it to roll a specific number would probably be a lot harder than just getting the number it rolled. The ideal solution would be to modify the current methods to take 3D dice into account so if they're used, the method waits to collect the result, and if they're not used then they roll like they do now.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Well, technically, you could run the physics simulation, then set the faces such that the correct number is showing at the end, then play the physics simulation back for display. (That's how we'd do it in the video game industry. =D)
Falcon
Pro
Sheet Author
I like that Aaron. The reason I like the 3D dice is because it is as close to rolling as you virtually get. It's all about the physics engine.
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
In&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2220114/client-side-3d-dice-dont-show-in-api-commands/?pageforid=2223514#post-2223514" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2220114/client-side-3d-dice-dont-show-in-api-commands/?pageforid=2223514#post-2223514</a> , Riley suggested to provide the API with some&nbsp;"3D Dice replay" method, so that when the API rolls a dice, it has the option to show the corresponding 3D roll. I think that would solve the issue nicely.
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Do we have any news on the 3D dice rolls? I've read somewhere that major changes were under development, but I can't find any first-hand source for that.
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I tend to use the scripts more and more, so I nearly don't see any more 3D dices. Kind of sad, no?
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Still no way to see 3D dices when the results are used by a script?
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I like 3D dice, and want them when using scripts.
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Maybe this should be tagged as API?
I agree with you. It's a great idea and I would be very happy to take advantage of it.
StéphaneD
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
+1
+1
+1
Still no way to see 3D dices when the results are used by a script?
+1
I'm using more and more API, so I'm seing less and less 3D dice... I'm interrested to know if a 3Ddice API will be create so +1&nbsp;
+1
+1 seeing the dice roll clearly is one of the exciting things on a table, and i strongly hope we can combine this with the advantages of a vtt in near future eg. store it for API usage...
+1 seeing the dice !
+1 seeing the dice
Showing the dices roll when players or DM make an attack will give more immersion into the game and will make roll20 a great apply +1 Seeing the dice !
+1
+1 Please ! Seeing the dice !
+1 too, It's frustrating not to see the dice when rolling via API
Still no answer ?
+1
Jiboux
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
+1 !!
+1
+1