Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Introduction Thread

I did not know about that, but I do now! I tested it, and it works!! I'll be sure to tell my players about it, too. Thanks Kenny!!
Yays!!! It made things so much easier for me!  As long as there is a campaign page setup on D&D Beyond with characters linked, and that page is linked to Roll20 (like Simon has setup here) then everything links beautifully! ...Do let your pals know and share the love! :)

Edited 1598221935
GM: After the overnight rest you are up and breakfasted about 7am next morning. Aretha's tower is a 6 mile/2 hour hike down the road if you want to go there again, so you can be there, trade and hopefully be back at noon. I believe the following tallies are correct, let me know if eg you are still down hp.  1. Erasmus Bos (Tim), Human male Monk-1 XP: 206/300  AC 15 HD: 0/1 HP 10/10 PP 12 MI: 2 vials Perfume of Bewitching 2. Syrus (Kenny), Half-Elf male Bard-1 XP: 181/300  HD: 0/1 AC 14 HP 10/10 PP 11 MI: Moontouched shortsword, scroll - Tenser's floating disk 3. Percy Hollowwood (Christian) Halfling Rogue-1 XP 181/300 HD: 1/1  AC 14 HP 9/9 PP 16 4. Sergor Ivorskof (Jake) Human male Rogue-1 XP: 128/300 HD: 0/1 AC 16 HP 8/8 PP 10 MI: Glamoured +1 Studded Leather armour
Hi, Simon i still have my 1 HD and what does the PP stand for?
Christian L. said: Hi, Simon i still have my 1 HD and what does the PP stand for? Passive Perception. Thanks, will edit.
I see Glamoured Studded Leather is a +1 Rare item,  I thought it was +0 Common :-O - oh well, welcome to AC 16 Sergor! :D
Hi guys - I'm visiting my family and they've booked a restaurant for Wednesday evening. Would you be able to play this Thursday instead? Sorry for the change of plan.
Simon N. said: GM: After the overnight rest you are up and breakfasted about 7am next morning. Aretha's tower is a 6 mile/2 hour hike down the road if you want to go there again, so you can be there, trade and hopefully be back at noon. I believe the following tallies are correct, let me know if eg you are still down hp.  1. Erasmus Bos (Tim), Human male Monk-1 XP: 206/300  AC 15 HD: 0/1 HP 10/10 PP 12 MI: 2 vials Perfume of Bewitching 2. Syrus (Kenny), Half-Elf male Bard-1 XP: 181/300  HD: 0/1 AC 14 HP 10/10 PP 11 MI: Moontouched shortsword, scroll - Tenser's floating disk 3. Percy Hollowwood (Christian) Halfling Rogue-1 XP 181/300 HD: 1/1  AC 14 HP 9/9 PP 16 4. Sergor Ivorskof (Jake) Human male Rogue-1 XP: 128/300 HD: 0/1 AC 16 HP 8/8 PP 10 MI: Glamoured +1 Studded Leather armour Hello Simon! Yes, all stats looks correct to me. I assume "MI" means Magic Inventory? And Yes, I am available to play this Thursday instead of Wednesday. ...Thanks!
Thanks Kenny! MI = Magic Items.
If anyone can't do Thursday, I could do a late game Wednesday 9pm-11pm.
yep i can do Thursday
Simon N. said: If anyone can't do Thursday, I could do a late game Wednesday 9pm-11pm. I can also do Wednes night 9pm-11pm. Happy to do what is best for majority :)
Thursday is fine for me. Thanks.
Thanks guys, I will run tomorrow Thursday from 6.30pm.
Looking forward to game tonight! :) Just wanted to give a heads-up that I'm planning to also use the Faerun Adventures Roll20 VTT for my 1st edition AD&D Faerun Adventures play-by-post, so if you log in and see an unexpected scene it's because it's where they are in the PBP. :) The PBP allows mild 'mature' content, that basically means some of the character tokens are topless. >:)
So I'm now using the VTT for my 1e PBP on days when this 5e game is not running. I think what I'll do is switch the player-view tab to the location for this game (eg Fort Skulnar caverns) on the day of the game, switching around noon or a bit later seems good. That should give you time to get reacquainted with your PCs. :)
Hi Simon!  Just double checking - did you say you can no longer host weekend sessions, only week night?
Kenny H. said: Hi Simon!  Just double checking - did you say you can no longer host weekend sessions, only week night? I can't do this weekend as fully booked. I could probably still do alternate Sundays if that's helpful?
My friend Jelly should be joining us on Thursday with a new PC. Should be a great character. :D
Great news about new PC! I will be late joining tomorrow night due to work - aiming to join by 7pm/7.15pm
Kenny H. said: Great news about new PC! I will be late joining tomorrow night due to work - aiming to join by 7pm/7.15pm Thanks Kenny! :)
okay, terrible news: I got stuck with late shifts starting next monday and can't really take part in the campaign anymore. I'm going to have to drop out. Sorry. the sessions I was there, I had great fun though.

Edited 1599063550
Aw that's a shame, thanks Jake. Jake C. said: okay, terrible news: I got stuck with late shifts starting next monday and can't really take part in the campaign anymore. I'm going to have to drop out. Sorry. the sessions I was there, I had great fun though.
Jake C. said: okay, terrible news: I got stuck with late shifts starting next monday and can't really take part in the campaign anymore. I'm going to have to drop out. Sorry. the sessions I was there, I had great fun though. @Jake: Sorry to hear this news :-( It was really Great having you in this game - we will miss you and Sergor! Hope it all goes well with work :)
Hi everyone, wonderful to meet you! My name's Jelly, I've been playing D&D for far too long to mention now, and I can't wait to join the campaign with a favourite character of mine, the ever-adventurous Mirabelle:Apprentice enchantress, day dreamer, lover of shiny things and velvet dresses, borderline alcoholic with a weakness for bards and elvish red wine (if the bards are also elvish, big bonus!). . 
Jake C. said: okay, terrible news: I got stuck with late shifts starting next monday and can't really take part in the campaign anymore. I'm going to have to drop out. Sorry. the sessions I was there, I had great fun though. Ah, that sucks. Thanks for joining while you could. 
Jelly said: Hi everyone, wonderful to meet you! My name's Jelly, I've been playing D&D for far too long to mention now, and I can't wait to join the campaign with a favourite character of mine, the ever-adventurous Mirabelle:Apprentice enchantress, day dreamer, lover of shiny things and velvet dresses, borderline alcoholic with a weakness for bards and elvish red wine (if the bards are also elvish, big bonus!). .  Good to meet you. Look forward to getting into the game again! 😁
Jelly said: Hi everyone, wonderful to meet you! My name's Jelly, I've been playing D&D for far too long to mention now, and I can't wait to join the campaign with a favourite character of mine, the ever-adventurous Mirabelle:Apprentice enchantress, day dreamer, lover of shiny things and velvet dresses, borderline alcoholic with a weakness for bards and elvish red wine (if the bards are also elvish, big bonus!). .  Great to meet you here, Jelly! And look forward to meeting Mirabelle tomorrow night too! "Syrus" is an half-elven bard...
Hi Jelly! I have one house rule for this game that can faze new players: "Side Based Initiative & Turns: GM rolls a d6, on a 4-6 the player's side goes first. Characters with Advantage on Initiative get a second d6 roll chance to act before the enemy at the start of combat. One side (or some members of one side) may automatically go first depending on circumstances, eg they succeeded at a Deception, Stealth or Sleight of Hand check, or opponents are initially Surprised. Player character actions are resolved in order of posting. Each side's turn is treated as roughly simultaneous - eg start-of-turn effects such as continuing damage and death saves are treated as simultaneous on each side. In case of one-vs-one duels the standard initiative system is used." I find it runs much more smoothly once you're used to it, but some players really freak out at not having to wait for their Turn. :D
Jake C. said: okay, terrible news: I got stuck with late shifts starting next monday and can't really take part in the campaign anymore. I'm going to have to drop out. Sorry. the sessions I was there, I had great fun though. I've archived rather than deleted Sergor just in case you're able to return when shifts change. :)
I've edited the training rules to bring them into line with the official 5e DMG rules on training to gain levels: Training to Gain Levels - as per DMG page 131. Level Attained - Training Time  (with mentor) - Training Cost 2-4   - 10 (5) days - 20gp 5-10 - 20 (10) days - 40gp 11-16 - 30 (15) days - 60gp 17-20 - 40 (20) days - 80gp Characters must pay their normal upkeep costs in addition to training costs. Training with a mentor takes half as long, but typically costs (at least) the same total amount. Until a character can train, their XP is capped at the minimum needed for the second level up - eg a level 1 character's XP total caps at 900 until trained. A level 2 character's XP total caps at 2700 until trained. _________________________ So you can self train using the 5e DMG rules, or train twice as fast with a mentor.
Simon N. said: I've edited the training rules to bring them into line with the official 5e DMG rules on training to gain levels: Training to Gain Levels - as per DMG page 131. Level Attained - Training Time  (with mentor) - Training Cost 2-4   - 10 (5) days - 20gp 5-10 - 20 (10) days - 40gp 11-16 - 30 (15) days - 60gp 17-20 - 40 (20) days - 80gp Characters must pay their normal upkeep costs in addition to training costs. Training with a mentor takes half as long, but typically costs (at least) the same total amount. Until a character can train, their XP is capped at the minimum needed for the second level up - eg a level 1 character's XP total caps at 900 until trained. A level 2 character's XP total caps at 2700 until trained. _________________________ So you can self train using the 5e DMG rules, or train twice as fast with a mentor. Thanks Simon. Quick question on this - How does one train themselves? Could it happen entirely during the course of a single long rest (assuming a mentor is available) or is further downtime required? And if Erasmus were to train now with just 30 or so XP required for lvl2, would he a) jump to lvl2 with zero progress to lvl3; b) jump to lvl2 with some progress to lvl3; c) make no progress to lvl 2, but be able to obtain XP in excess of the 900 cap? Also, how many times is training actually required? For example, if Erasmus received training now, that would remove the lvl1 XP cap of 900 but if he waited until after gaining lvl2, would the cap of 2700 apply and be lifted instead? Forgive my ignorance but I am new and I don't have access to the DMG. Thanks! :)
Hi Tim, When you have enough XP to level up, you can then train to do so. You must train once for each level to be gained. You may Long Rest while training. To reach level 2-4, per the DMG training to level normally takes 10 days, longer than the 7 days for a long rest, but with a mentor training you I house rule halve it to 5 days. So you could eg travel 1 day to find Mentor, train for 5 days, travel back for 1 day, and have completed both training and a LR at the same time. The nearest potential Monk trainer to you is the former Yellow Rose Master of Dragons Monk Patrick of the Roadhouse Inn festhall. Old Master Temminische is probably still in Ravensburg and could train you if not too busy.  Tim M. said: Simon N. said: I've edited the training rules to bring them into line with the official 5e DMG rules on training to gain levels: Training to Gain Levels - as per DMG page 131. Level Attained - Training Time  (with mentor) - Training Cost 2-4   - 10 (5) days - 20gp 5-10 - 20 (10) days - 40gp 11-16 - 30 (15) days - 60gp 17-20 - 40 (20) days - 80gp Characters must pay their normal upkeep costs in addition to training costs. Training with a mentor takes half as long, but typically costs (at least) the same total amount. Until a character can train, their XP is capped at the minimum needed for the second level up - eg a level 1 character's XP total caps at 900 until trained. A level 2 character's XP total caps at 2700 until trained. _________________________ So you can self train using the 5e DMG rules, or train twice as fast with a mentor. Thanks Simon. Quick question on this - How does one train themselves? Could it happen entirely during the course of a single long rest (assuming a mentor is available) or is further downtime required? And if Erasmus were to train now with just 30 or so XP required for lvl2, would he a) jump to lvl2 with zero progress to lvl3; b) jump to lvl2 with some progress to lvl3; c) make no progress to lvl 2, but be able to obtain XP in excess of the 900 cap? Also, how many times is training actually required? For example, if Erasmus received training now, that would remove the lvl1 XP cap of 900 but if he waited until after gaining lvl2, would the cap of 2700 apply and be lifted instead? Forgive my ignorance but I am new and I don't have access to the DMG. Thanks! :)
Thanks everyone who could play last night, sorry it didn't go so well, but at least you avoided the TPK I was expecting once you blew all your Sleep spells on the apes! I'll do a shorter 2 hour game next Thursday 10/9, then I can run a game Sunday 13/9. I'll start next session 10 days after the party's return to Fulscarp, when Erasmus & Syrus have rested, healed and trained up to 2nd level. Mirabelle rendezvouses with them after spending most of the past 10 days with Aretha or home at Cumin Manor, so she does not need to deduct any gp for maintenance - the privileges of rank. :) Erasmus & Syrus deduct 20gp for training & 5 gp for maintenance; Percy deduct 5 gp for maintenance.
Done. Thanks Simon. Hello Ki points! :D
Thanks Simon! All sounds Great. And Thank You for the non-TPK this week! :-P Have a lovely weekend ahead everyone! :)

Edited 1599289989
GM IC: Rosana Irkell is sad you weren't able to find her father and brother, and that Lothrin was lost in the attempt, but thanks you for trying. Looks like she may have inherited the tavern... While Erasmus & Syrus rest and train, Dawn Wintersmorn hangs around the Fulscarp tavern, listening dreamily to Syrus's ballads. Tenho Isotalo heads off on some business but promises to return in 10 days - he is still very keen to find the Ironwolf's notes on the lost dwarf hold of Hadramkath, rumoured to still lie within Fort Skulnar. At the Jagged Tower, Hag Aretha scolds Mirabelle for not collecting enough bat poo, but brightens when Mirabelle mentions the Bard Syrus and the moon-touched sword. Aretha to Mirabelle: "Make sure the pretty Bard kills the Ghost, and brings me back the Sword! Aretha needs it, I does!" Back at Cumin Manor, Mirabelle's elder sister Angelica listens patiently to Mirabelle's tales of adventure. "It sounds as if these adventurers have dealt with the bandits who've been preying on the King's Road. That's something, at least. But Goblins ? How horrible!"
@Jelly remember you already have the Arcane Recovery power, recovering a spell slot on a 1-hour short rest, once per LR. This is a main way Wizards are better than Bards at spellcasting (Bards get a lot of other stuff!) :)
Re schedule, next games Thurs then Sunday. After that I want to keep Thurs clear so I think back to Wednesday weekly and Sunday fortnightly?
Simon N. said: Re schedule, next games Thurs then Sunday. After that I want to keep Thurs clear so I think back to Wednesday weekly and Sunday fortnightly? Sounds good. Thanks Simon. 
Simon N. said: Re schedule, next games Thurs then Sunday. After that I want to keep Thurs clear so I think back to Wednesday weekly and Sunday fortnightly? Sounds good to me too Simon - Wednesdays are the best weekend night for me in general... Looking forward to this Thursday, when we are all level-ed up! :)
Rumours Heard During Downtime Erasmus - Something evil dwells within the old Chaney Tor, sacked by Bullywugs years ago. Locals wisely avoid the place. Syrus - The Crimson Monks of Loviatar, long thought destroyed by the Monks of the Yellow Rose, have returned! Scarlet-robed figures have been seen near Roadhouse Inn, likely heading for their ruined monastery, now held by the Bullywugs of the Frogmarsh.  Percy & Mirabelle - A hideous Troll has taken up residence in the Egilmarsh and has eaten several peasants. Sir Rodney Carlin of Egilmont offers two hundred gold for its demise.
Simon N. said: Rumours Heard During Downtime Erasmus - Something evil dwells within the old Chaney Tor, sacked by Bullywugs years ago. Locals wisely avoid the place. Syrus - The Crimson Monks of Loviatar, long thought destroyed by the Monks of the Yellow Rose, have returned! Scarlet-robed figures have been seen near Roadhouse Inn, likely heading for their ruined monastery, now held by the Bullywugs of the Frogmarsh.  Percy & Mirabelle - A hideous Troll has taken up residence in the Egilmarsh and has eaten several peasants. Sir Rodney Carlin of Egilmont offers two hundred gold for its demise. O_o
Well I won my court hearing :)  Good to play at 6.30pm today as discusssed.
Simon N. said: Well I won my court hearing :)  Good to play at 6.30pm today as discusssed. Great news! See you later! :D
Simon N. said: Well I won my court hearing :)  Good to play at 6.30pm today as discusssed. Many many Congrats Simon on your Great news!!! See y'all soon at 6.30pm :)
Simon N. said: Re schedule, next games Thurs then Sunday. After that I want to keep Thurs clear so I think back to Wednesday weekly and Sunday fortnightly? Won't be able to attend Wednesdays but would love to join fortnightly on Sundays!
Thanks everyone! Thanks Jelly, of course you are welcome to play fortnightly Sundays. Sorry I can't do Thursdays, it's Imogen's one child-free  weeknight, with the court case settled I will be child-free that day also, & it wouldn't be fair on her to deprive her of my undivided company. :)
Simon, I have a question for you re training: Can we train before we have sufficient XP to level up and then hold on to it until we do? 
Tim M. said: Simon, I have a question for you re training: Can we train before we have sufficient XP to level up and then hold on to it until we do?  Hi Tim - strictly no you are supposed to get the XP then train, but I can be a bit flexible if PCs come in just below the level-up XP total before a long rest, as Percy did.