Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic lighting problems?

I'm hearing a few comments on some of the forums I'm in that there are 'issues' with the dynamic lighting in Dungeons of the Mad Mage. Can anyone throw any light on this before I decide to not buy it?
I have issues in several campaigns where the group is in a room it makes any tokens on the GM layer vanish (they are still there, I just cant see them) This 100% happens on Mad Mage and Storm Kings Thunder for me. 

Edited 1599677695
I'm having an issue where my new (and old) phone is incapable of exiting the Loading Screen once I pull up a page with Advanced Dynamic Lightning enabled, like the Splash Screen. LG Android Phone: LM-K500MM on up to date Chrome App without Add-ons, Android 10 operating system. Edit: this appears to be linked to a Blocked JavaScript issue.
Angwysh said: I have issues in several campaigns where the group is in a room it makes any tokens on the GM layer vanish (they are still there, I just cant see them) This 100% happens on Mad Mage and Storm Kings Thunder for me.  This is a known problem with UDL (updated dynamic lighting). It does not occur with the legacy lighting. UDL still has a lot of issues.
Pat
Pro
API Scripter
One thing to try: kill "sight" on any enemy tokens. A lot of tokens have night vision, and if they've been converted to UDL, this will definitely cause the screen blocking cause by night vision overlap. This is the reason I don't use any of the tokens as-is from the Monster Manual etc. - turning on vision for tokens other than players causes a lot of problems. A lot. 
I have started playing the Sunless Citadel and enabled the new Dynamic Lighting.  It is working, but when I load the Fortress map, moving tokens is very slow and totally unplayable.  I turned on "Update when Token Drop" in the page settings and that improved things somewhat as the system is no longer trying to dynamically render light as the token moves, but it is still very slow.  Others experiencing this and/or any suggestions?
Johnny said: I have started playing the Sunless Citadel and enabled the new Dynamic Lighting.  It is working, but when I load the Fortress map, moving tokens is very slow and totally unplayable.  I turned on "Update when Token Drop" in the page settings and that improved things somewhat as the system is no longer trying to dynamically render light as the token moves, but it is still very slow.  Others experiencing this and/or any suggestions? OK, I solved my own problem!  It seems that the Sunless Citadel module automatically set vision to "ON" for all non-player tokens (maybe it did this when I upgraded my game to the new Dynamic Lighting per the suggestion of Roll20) and this was really slowing things down.  I set vision to "OFF" for all non-player tokens and things speed up to what I would consider "normal".  Problem solved.
Pat said: One thing to try: kill "sight" on any enemy tokens. A lot of tokens have night vision, and if they've been converted to UDL, this will definitely cause the screen blocking cause by night vision overlap. This is the reason I don't use any of the tokens as-is from the Monster Manual etc. - turning on vision for tokens other than players causes a lot of problems. A lot.  What Pat said...non-player tokens with sight also slows the game down...a lot.  I discovered this on the Sunless Citadel fortress level where after turning off vision for non-players sped things up a lot.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Newer modules leave off sight for NPCs, I believe. There is an API solution to modify this game-wide, but requires a Pro subscription.