Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

How to use Dynamic lighting as premium?

Basically as title - i cant seem to get it to work - i have run a few tests with dynamic vs FOW etc and- nothing :/
Pat
Pro
API Scripter
Are you viewing it as a player or using [Ctrl]-[L]? 
no idea - all i know is its a FOW option ;)

Edited 1599920327
Pat
Pro
API Scripter
Click on the Page properties and scroll down and for now select "legacy dynamic lighting" and just turn on the lighting, no update on drop or anything else. Next, select a token on this page (a player-controlled token, even if the player is you, the GM) and click on the gear or double-click the token.  On the token edit window, click on the "advanced" tab and click on the checkbox for "has sight" and save the token edits.  If all of the above steps have been performed correctly, if you re-join as player (if the player controlling the token is you) or select the token and press [Ctrl+ L],  you should be in total darkness. 

Edited 1599925846
Lee
Pro
ok i did all this (as GM) and then pressed ctrl+l and map went pitch black (for me as GM) it is only viewable if i *move* it... and ctr+l does not get rid of the darkness (had to delete the page) **no **Legacy** option - only *dynamic lighting* with the note about legacy - and i only ticked that - not enable line of sight/update etc

Edited 1599927067
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
I would recommend not using Updated Dynamic Lighting yet. Use the Dynamic Lighting tick box on the main tab for the page settings (and the "Advanced" tab on the tokens) to use the legacy system. <a href="https://roll20.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360037258654-Dynamic-Lighting" rel="nofollow">https://roll20.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360037258654-Dynamic-Lighting</a>

Edited 1599930249
Pat
Pro
API Scripter
@Graham B. That's good - if everything went pitch black that means it's working.&nbsp; You'll need to set it up again like mentioned above.&nbsp; To get out of the player-view darkness, you click anywhere else on the tabletop off of the original token, or hit F5 (reload page) since you're viewing as the GM.&nbsp; Setting up lights is next. You can set the original token you used with light by setting some of the other tick boxes and fields with values.&nbsp; Open it up to the "advanced" tab again. Once you're there, select inside the "Emits Light" fields - set the first one to 40, and the second one to 20. (This should simulate a lantern in 5e D&amp;D).&nbsp; You can set up other "lights" by clicking "All Players See Light" - otherwise only the token/player sees the light they emit. Make sure you click "Has Sight"!&nbsp; Once you've done this and saved the token edits, try the [Ctrl + L] again.&nbsp;&nbsp;

Edited 1599931944
Lee
Pro
ok great - that works... now how to get it to see walls as **wall*? (cant see beyond etc)? and thanks for the helps **i was in a roll20 game a while back and the DM had it so our chars could not see beyond pillars/walls/etc at certain angles *true line of sight*
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Follow the link I posted and search for the image with the page settings. One of the items is "Enforce Line of Sight." Lines on the Dynamic Lighting layer will then block sight. "Restrict Movement" will also cause them to stop players from moving their tokens through the "wall." These two settings are very often set to the same value, on or off.
Pat
Pro
API Scripter
@Graham B. - Okay now you want to set on the Page attributes, where you set "Dynamic Lighting" to "Enabled" - you want to tick the boxes marked "Enforce Line of Sight" and then the other box below them called "Restrict Movement."&nbsp; Now, back on the tabletop as GM, you get to pick this layer:&nbsp; Once you're on that layer, to create objects that block lighting, you'll want to use the drawing tool:&nbsp; Select "Polygon/Line" and a bright color - these colors never show to players. Select regular width - width doesn't matter to light blocking, but does matter to how easy the lines are for you to see and select.&nbsp; Any lines, polygons, or rectangles you create with the drawing tool will block light and movement.&nbsp; Left-click to start a line, click a second time and more to place points and create a line from the last point. Finish at the first point to create an enclosed shape. If you don't want an enclosed shape, right-click to "finish" a line.&nbsp; Once you've got some shapes made, go back to the Token layer to see how it affects line of sight and movement. You won't see it blocking movement or line of sight as GM , so you'll have to [Ctrl-L] or Join as Player.&nbsp; Don't forget to go back to the arrow tool before you try and pick up tokens on the token layer. You can also use squares to create shapes.&nbsp; Play around with this, note how it works if you try and create all the trees in a forest (really disconcerting regarding all the blocked lines of sight).&nbsp;
yep got it - and now sset up that they cant move beyond it like solid wall ... only issue with this is - if there is a door which is currently closed (they cant see past it) but they would need to walk through it... is such a thing possible?
Pat
Pro
API Scripter
@Graham B. - what I usually do is two things: graphic for the door separate from the "ground" on the map layer, and I use a different color for doors on the lighting layer (I use yellow for walls, red for doors). There's a moment of suspension of disbelief as I move each in turn, but it usually works. The real trick is making sure the yellow and red match up exactly for secret doors.&nbsp;
so i am confused - *how* do you *layer* it that way so the color dictates if they can pass or&nbsp; not? O.o
ohhh you seperate the colors so you can *delete* them :P ok thank you so much for all your help guys much appreciated
Graham B. said: ohhh you seperate the colors so you can *delete* them :P ok thank you so much for all your help guys much appreciated Or just the move the line that represents the door, so that when they close the door you can move the line back (much quicker than drawing it again).
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
If you use the arrow keys to move the door line, you can use the arrow keys to put the door back in exactly the same place. Also, sometimes straight lines can be hard to select. Putting a crooked tail will make the door line easier to select.&nbsp;