Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

On creating demonic character art. When does content go from rated teen to adult?

Xenobunny
Marketplace Creator
Hey, I am a very new marketplace creator and "so far" my character designs have passed review. I do not intend to stress or violate the boundaries of allowed content on the marketplace but I am curious where the line on graphic demonic character illustrations should be drawn. With the hype for "The Descent into Avernus" I have been working on demons. I am fascinated by the Klurichir type demon and have works in progress for male and female characters of that type. They are rather grotesque, unclothed, and have red gaping maws with teeth where their bellies are from sternum to lower abdomen. My style is not cartoonist, the images in this series are large and rendered for a more adult audience (I'd like to stay in the teens and up category). The question is on exposed bone, blood, and a suggestive physical forms (hair, claws, mutations, ect. cover or replace anatomy). I am also looking into illustrating a pair of Armanites, which in reading on the wiki are represented more audience friendly than in prose. Are there examples of passing work in the adult category that I can follow for reference and draw a line upon. I am not fond of censorship but I do not want to risk getting flagged during product review submissions.
Elemental Flame
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I've tried to get a creature known as a Rusalka approved. She is a nude woman, but between her pose and long hair, nothing is visible. I've been unable to get it approved in a "Teen" set and I don't know anything about what mature content means for sales, availability, etc. so I haven't attempted to create a mature set to see if it would pass there. So this post probably didn't help you out at all. Sorry!
The MapHatter
Pro
Marketplace Creator
HI XenoBunny - interesting question, I couldn't find much in the documentation - so I went looking in the R20 Terms of Service and found they list a 'play nice clause' part of which reads as follows: " You will not post or otherwise submit any topic, name, material or information that is ... defamatory, excessively violent, harassing, inappropriate, indecent, lascivious, lewd, obscene, profane, racist, unlawful, or otherwise objectionable. This is in relation to using the forums and VTT but I can't imagine it wouldn't also extend to creator content. I would suggest contacting R20 directly with any material that attempts to push the adult envelope - especially as a new creator, there are probably reasonable concessions. It is not others standards you need to address, but theirs and that may be decided on an individual case? In general if you think you have to ask, the answer is generally no but if you don't ask you won't know. RPG has a lot of elements that fringe on horror, debauchery, torture, terror, lust, ravaging and rampaging - I mean even though one of the core concepts of RPG itself is centered around killing - a lot - all the time - even WOTC is very cautious about addressing even the basic representation of demons, sorcery, satanism. I'd be surprised if they went anywhere near nudity anymore.  It's an interesting dilemma that what began as an adults game with so much adult content, is now also aimed at inclusion by children and encourages their involvement causing a lot of gaming companies to tone everything down and pare everything back - because D&D et al are at their heart adult, violent games, and often times because our fantasy hobby is represented managed (and sustained) by companies who must be very careful with PR - we have to share the same space and marketing space of and by adults with kids. If you're trying to create the broadest customer net possible then you don't want to offend anyone, especially today when a single incident can kill your business. I think some blood, guts, bones, bodies, zombie gore, torture devices, savage traps, skeletons if stylized into a fantasy appearance, are considered acceptable by many gaming companies, - but anything suggestive, especially overt nudity is a landmine.