Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

HELP: Strangeness with NPC Sheet

I have a game with an adult green dragon and a will-o-wisp. I modified the Adult black Dragon slightly. Was working on the rest of the game and added will-o-wisp to the page. The Will-O-Wisp token never materialized on the map so I re added it. However, this is where it got strange. When I open up the Adult Black Dragon NPC Sheet the BIO is for Adult Dragon but the Stats are for a Will-o-Wisp. Confused. I can fix by dragging another Adult Dragon out but I don't want this to happen again... 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If you have a sheet open while you drag a second monster from the compendium, it can occasionally re-write the info on the open sheet. The system should tell you it is going to overwrite (like it does with a compendium equipment or spell drop), but it doesn't. This is a known bug. Some anecdotal evidence suggests that it only occurs if you drag the new compendium creature to a point on the VTT that is vertically lower than the top of the open character sheet (i.e., this is a "live area"), but I don't know if this has been verified. I would suggest two possible courses of action: 1. Make sure you drag new compendium creatures to the top of the map, higher than the top of any open character sheet. (might work, still dangerous) 2. Close all character sheets before dragging a new compendium creature to the map (Safest) Note that although the lack of a warning is a bug, there are uses for the overwrite behavior. Some people will set up a template creature, with actions and settings they prefer, and open a copy, then drag a new compendium creature to it to create a new creature with their custom settings. I do not recommend this, but it is a common practice thanks to a very old tips video.
Thanks Keith This could have been the case but I don't see this as a feature or a use case. If you noticed it overwrote the statistics but left everything else in place (BIO) etc. I'll keep your comment in mind to make sure I don't do this again. It wasn't a huge amount of work to redo but still... keithcurtis said: If you have a sheet open while you drag a second monster from the compendium, it can occasionally re-write the info on the open sheet. The system should tell you it is going to overwrite (like it does with a compendium equipment or spell drop), but it doesn't. This is a known bug. Some anecdotal evidence suggests that it only occurs if you drag the new compendium creature to a point on the VTT that is vertically lower than the top of the open character sheet (i.e., this is a "live area"), but I don't know if this has been verified. I would suggest two possible courses of action: 1. Make sure you drag new compendium creatures to the top of the map, higher than the top of any open character sheet. (might work, still dangerous) 2. Close all character sheets before dragging a new compendium creature to the map (Safest) Note that although the lack of a warning is a bug, there are uses for the overwrite behavior. Some people will set up a template creature, with actions and settings they prefer, and open a copy, then drag a new compendium creature to it to create a new creature with their custom settings. I do not recommend this, but it is a common practice thanks to a very old tips video.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Personally, I agree. It's a huge chance to accidentally overwrite a character. You'd be surprised how many people use it in the way I described, though. It should have an "Are you sure?" dialog.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
This bug has bitten me more times than I care to admit. You really have to make sure that there only the character sheet you want to modify is open (or no other character sheets are underneath it) at the time of the compendium drag and drop.