Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Timer

In some games it may be adventitious for the GM to say, for example: "Right, you need have 20 minutes until X thing happens. Go!" And then the group would have 20 real life minutes to succeed. Having a timer that you can put on the map would increase the tension and tell the group how much time is left.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
there is an API (mentor level feature) script that functions as a timer.
ArcCain said: Having a timer that you can put on the map would increase the tension and tell the group how much time is left. +1. Between using a timer for board games and time tracking in RPGs, I feel it would be a solid addition to the standard tool suite of Roll20.
If they are using windows they have a clock in the corner of their screen, just point out the exact time when you give them the information. You can increase the tension verbally by giving them an occasional update. Add in a ticking clock low in the sound layers when 3/4 of the time is up and increase the volume as the minutes run out. drop all of the other sounds for the last minute, just the tick, tick, tick as their time runs out. you can also play with the lighting, dimming or increasing the brightness as the time runs out. think of time running out in a film and use some of the tools you have.
Here is a ticking clock <a href="https://soundcloud.com/lubrowning/ticking-clock" rel="nofollow">https://soundcloud.com/lubrowning/ticking-clock</a> loop it when you play it.

Edited 1402729720
That could work but it would mean that I as a GM would have to play around with settings in the background. And at times this would get in the way. I might also just forget about it from time to time. And if it has to be a paid for feature, then why not bump it down to Supporter level?
timer would be great
I think a chess like timer option for play turn length would be a huge asset to Roll20. A cool looking hourglass to keep things fantasy-like. Again I stated the word option. I certainly would make use of this utility. Should be a supporter level utility.