Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Severe lag tonight

Lag for every action -- clicking tokens, firing non-API commands to the menu, everything. API was brutal. Had to restart it constantly and everything just chugged. I was on a map with DL and AFoW off and Global Illumination off and everything still forever. Unacceptable performance. Whatever you did in early October has messed with performance in a real way. Please fix ASAP.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Out of curiosity, what browser/platform are you using? Due to some computer problems, I had to switch to my Chromebook of all things in the middle of last game, and lag virtually disappeared, even on a huge map with DL and AFoW.
Chrome on macOS Catalina. I'll try Firefox next week, because last night was just not acceptable performance.
I had a similar experience last night (Windows 10, Firefox). I tried again today and the problem was entirely gone... None of the players seemed to have the experience, but every time I clicked on a text entry box (like the green bubble on a token, or a query popup, or even the iniative order, there was upwards of a 10-15 second lag before I could do anything. Even worse, apparently players were rolling things and my entire Roll20 tab just was not processing/updating until it decided it was ready to let me alter the text of whatever entry I was in. Restarting the browser multiple times did not help at all.
Sunday evening - Europe time - i had the same experience. The whole UI seems to freeze and be unresponsive for some time. I think this stalling can have two sources: 1) it indicates some sort of issue in the connectivity of an individual user. These issues are very hard to pinpoint, because so many network elements can be the reason (it's internet...) 2) it is due to a change in the browser. The update frequency of firefox and chrome is so high, and every time there can be a small change that can have stalling effects.