Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Mature player looking for a "mature" weekly game: D&D 3.5 (UTC-5 but VERY flexible)

Edited 1403302147
Dan
Plus
Let's start with my name is Dan. I am 42 years old and have had an affinity for role-play since the late 1970's. I started with the original box set (red) and a few cousins playing whenever we got together. I graduated to another box set (blue) and finally had a weekly game with friends. That game continued well into high school, with Sunday sessions lasting 6-8 hours... our parents loved it! :) After H.S. life happened... a new wife, a couple kids born, a career started and barely any time for anything else. In 2005 I was diagnosed with MS, and by 2010 I was finally unable to keep up with a daunting work schedule anymore so I went on SSDI. I am doing a lot better (health wise) now and find myself actively looking for things to do. I came across Roll20 and immediately fell in love again with the idea of being someone else. Here are a few bullet points about my play-style: I am a mature player I enjoy some darker themes I prefer simple motivations rather than convoluted and/or confusing story-lines I can RP most any class but prefer the "nature" ones (Ranger,Druid,Barbarian) I prefer human characters, but I like to have the choice I am located on the east coast, but am a night owl and can accommodate most schedules. I guess I would consider myself a "heavy RPer" as I like to emote most everything I am NOT a power gamer. I do not like to get caught up in the "statistics" aspects of the game. Meaning that I do not want to lay out my character according to what gets the best bonuses (or loopholes) that the game allows, rather I lay out my character to what is in my head. Right or wrong. I would enjoy being with others who are like-minded rather than my age. I realize that most "my age" probably don't RP much any more :P I do not like "verbal" types of campaigns. My voice is my own and not my character's. I am not an actor nor do I want to be one. I prefer text style games as the chat lag gives me a moment to come up with the "best" possible answer. ("best" being from my character's perspective not the "correct" answer) I have an abundance of patience for teaching, but little to none for acts that go against common curtsy. (ie: tardiness, abscenteeism, inattentive gaming, people speaking over others, power crazed people who don't allows others to speak up, etc) Lastly, as a player who has reached my age, I have a healthy level of respect for the DM role (been there done that) and for my fellow players who choose to role-play their characters to the fullest. (no you do not need to roll d100 to figure out if your character should do something). When it is game time, I am ready to just have some FUN! I would enjoy hearing from you!
Actually old school is well represented here. Welcome.
Hello! I've been thinking about starting up a new campaign, as my last ones on here kinda crumbled to dust. If I could get some solid players on board before I start opening up for applicants it would be nice. I am UTC+1 and if I was to start a game up again it would either be weekdays from 7pm local time onwards, or sundays starting before noon local time. So UTC-5 that would be 1pm onwards on weekdays or sundays starting probably somewhere between 4 and 6 am. Don't know if that suits you...? Judging by your bullet points I think we would be a good match! You can PM me if you want to know more. Just be advised at this point I have no other players on board, save perhaps 1.
I find that the biggest mistake being made on the "Looking for a game" forum is that DM's seem to be more interested in what character I will play rather than ME the player. Do they not understand that if you choose good people, you'll get good characters? Please keep me in mind.

Edited 1403226547
Dan said: I find that the biggest mistake being made on the "Looking for a game" forum is that DM's seem to be more interested in what character I will play rather than ME the player. Do they not understand that if you choose good people, you'll get good characters? Glad to see I'm not the only one who's noticed this trend. Mayhaps fewer games would sputter out and fewer vacancies would need filling if GMs selected good players, rather than ticking off boxes from a Party Class Composition list? I confess I derive far too much enjoyment from poking fun at GMs who declare they "need a healer", for example. No kidding - who would have thought that shoehorning one player into the least interesting role would lead to that player dropping out? Especially when there's so many fun and interesting things the traditional D&D "healer" classes could be doing.
Hello Dan! Nice to see another older player who got the urge to return to the hobby :) You sound like the sort of person who might fit in very well with the players in our campaign. It's a Pathfinder game, and I'm not sure how familiar you are with that system, but we're very open to players just learning and I'd be willing to help you get squared away to start. If you're interested, I've cut and pasted our application for the group here, in this case, it's as much to give you an idea of what type of players we are as much as to get to know you. Just PM me your answers if you're interested and we can go from there. If we're not for you, I still wish you the best of luck in your search for a good fit :) ====================== I am now recruiting players for the Ragged Vestiges homebrew setting! Welcome to the land of Vorkalis, foremost of the kingdoms descended from those destroyed by the Godswar that nearly brought an end to all life. Man, dwarf, elf and orc all took up arms against one another and heeded the call of their kings, queens and even gods in a mad struggle for supremacy that shook the pillars of heaven while releasing hell on earth. Nations fell, civilization crumbled, immortals died and knowledge was lost as the world fought desperately to survive the chaos it had wrought upon itself. The path back to civilization has been a long and painful one, but it HAS been traveled and the you are the offspring of those who have cut that path. You find yourselves in unique times as your homeland, the mightiest empire of the modern age, begins exploration and colonization to both the east and west. In the north, the dwarves continue their ages old battle with the giantkin and have allied with the norselike men of the frigid wilderlands, about whom much has been whispered but little seen firsthand. And, in the lands of the south, it's rumored that a nation of the dark jungles has built it's capital in the very heart of an active volcano, calling it Anshur-Tervahl; "the city of black glass". In Volungrod, a nation whips itself into a frenzy of hatred for non-humans and sets it's collective will toward the annihilation of all who are different. Magic is the stuff of legends and feared by most, but for those with the courage and openness of mind to learn more of it, it can be as capable of miraculous blessings as horrendous evils. There are secrets lost and forgotten awaiting discovery by the bold explorers of this new age and you will be at the forefront of that wave. Things to note: there are no alchemists, gunslingers, summoners, firearms, or tieflings in this setting. If you are hoping to play a character or race that is unusual please run it by me via PM first. Your character background and answers to your questionnaire will be drawn upon to help flesh out areas of the world that will come into play later in the game, so please feel free to be as creative as you like. I see world-building as a cooperative venture and like getting my players involved since they're the ones who are going to be crawling all over it :) As mentioned in the title, this will be a PF game more than likely scaling to Mythic at some point in the campaign. Game time is usually 8:30 or 9 pm EST on Friday or Saturday night, depending on everyone's schedule If you're interested, please take a moment to cut & paste the short questionnaire included and post here or PM me your answers so I can get a feel for your taste and compatibility for the group. I've had bad experiences with past groups and would like to try to avoid them this time with a more intensive vetting process. Thank you. 1) What race and class are you hoping to play? What style of that class are you imagining for this character? What is his or her name? 2) Please give a description of your character, including physical and personality traits you see as important. 3) Give a bit of your character's history; i.e- age, relationships up to this point, occupation, apprenticeships, enemies, etc. 4) What are your character's goals? What drives him or her? 5) What is your favorite fantasy series or novel? Please describe why. 6) Favorite fictional character in fantasy? All genres? Please describe why. 7) Favorite figures from history? Why? 8) Preferred atmosphere for your campaign? Dark, epic, mysterious, light? 9) Describe your ideal gaming group.
Wow, it is just AMAZING to me the feedback and the GREAT conversations this thread as brought me. I attempted a similar thread a couple months ago and the reactions were almost nil. Thanks to everyone who has sent me a PM describing their experiences with Roll20 and how difficult or easy it has been for some to ultimately find the game that was right for them. Mine has certainly been an "interesting" path and I while I am eager to find a "home" for myself, I am at least encouraged to see that I am NOT alone out there. Of course it makes sense that the group I would probably want to join, is already full and not searching these forums. Those people are happy with their gaming and would have no need. The best I can hope for (tongue in cheek) is for one of them to die so it opens up a chair at the virtual table. (yes of course I am kidding... maybe they just had a child or something GOOD) Anyways, if there is a lesson to be learned here is that we should not give up hope. Thank you folks who were kind enough to remind me.
<bump> Still looking for a weekly scheduled game.
Sorry to hijack your thread a bit, but your situation seems to be similar to my friend and I's. Would you perhaps be interested in forming a group with he and I? Our thread is here .
<bump> Still looking for a weekly scheduled game.