Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Translation & Crowdin Changes

Exciting news! We’re making some changes to the way translations function on our site! Currently, we allow amazing community volunteers to translate various aspects of our site via our translation service, Crowdin . We’re still going to be using Crowdin for all of our translation services, but there are going to be a few changes coming up.  Going forward, the translation of our platform will now be split into 3 different Crowdin projects. Those 3 projects are as follows: Main Site Text on our site that exists outside of our Character Sheets. The text for the Marketplace, Toolbar buttons, My Account page, etc.  Roll20 Official Character Sheets Text for Character Sheets that are created and maintained by Roll20. Roll20 Character Sheets Text for Character Sheets that were created and maintained by the community. With this split, we are also changing the way folks can access and be approved to translate for those projects. Here’s the general gist: Main Site Approval to translate for this project is required . Submit a translation approval request through our Help Center form . Roll20 Official Character Sheets & Roll20 Character Sheets Approval to translate for these projects is no longer required . You’ll either create a new Crowdin account or log in to an existing account, join one of those projects, and you’re good to go. We are looking to move forward with these translation changes by 11/6/2020.  As we make these updates, we will be temporarily cutting off translation requests/changes from 11/5/2020 to 11/6/2020. Translations during that time will not be accepted. Here are a couple of things that are important to note with these changes. Until we make the above changes, translations and translation approvals will function as they did before and the linked Character Sheet projects will be empty. We are no longer accepting Character Sheet translations through GitHub . Crowdin will now automatically overwrite any translations added through GitHub. All translations must be done through Crowdin now.  New translators in the Character Sheet projects will not receive Translator badges on their profiles at this time. Adding this functionality will be a future improvement. Translators in the Main Site project will still receive badges. No one will be losing existing translation badges. Please let us know if you have any further questions, comments, or concerns! Thanks everyone! :)
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
This is great, I was just recently thinking about this and related things.
Evil Hat Productions
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Will this address the tendency with some sheets for the en.json file to *not match* the translation.json file source? Is it safe to assume that translation.json should still travel with the rest of the sheet stuff when posting sheets to the character sheet github?     
Evil Hat Productions said: Will this address the tendency with some sheets for the en.json file to *not match* the translation.json file source? Is it safe to assume that translation.json should still travel with the rest of the sheet stuff when posting sheets to the character sheet github?      To confirm, the translation.json will still be required for translation of your sheet and will remain the same as before. As for the mentioned issues, we would need some additional information on the specific instances where the en.json and translation.json files weren't matching. If you could provide me the name of a sheet from our repo that had this issue though, I'll definitely have our team take a look.

Edited 1604090393
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Here are some of the recent ones, where automatic updates didn't work out, or caused troubles: <a href="https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/issues/7509" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/issues/7509</a> <a href="https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/issues/7459" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/issues/7459</a> <a href="https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/issues/7386" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/issues/7386</a> <a href="https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/pull/7601" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/pull/7601</a> I recall there was some issues with the Forbidden Lands sheet as well, but don't care for digging it up right now.
ᐰndreas J. said: Here are some of the recent ones, where automatic updates didn't work out, or caused troubles: <a href="https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/issues/7509" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/issues/7509</a> <a href="https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/issues/7459" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/issues/7459</a> <a href="https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/issues/7386" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/issues/7386</a> <a href="https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/pull/7601" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/pull/7601</a> I recall there was some issues with the Forbidden Lands sheet as well, but don't care for digging it up right now. Awesome, thank you Andreas! I'll have the team review as soon as we can.
It says something about Translator badge, how do I know if I can get one? I been translating on crowdin for awhile but not sure if I can get the badge

Edited 1604146487
라브
Pro
Translator
Excited by the new changes!&nbsp; +) So if you are part of the Main Site team, you should be in three different projects (Roll20-Site, Roll20 Official Character Sheets, and Roll20 Character Sheets), correct?&nbsp;
Lucas X. said: It says something about Translator badge, how do I know if I can get one? I been translating on crowdin for awhile but not sure if I can get the badge Currently, Translator badges are granted when you get approval to translate via our support team . If you are currently approved and don't have one, make sure to contact support and we'll get you squared away. With these changes, you will only get a Translator badge if you contact our support team and are approved to translate for the Main Site project. Translating for the open Character Sheet projects will not provide badges, although that is an improvement we're looking at later down the road.

Edited 1604169566
Nicholas
Roll20 Team
라브 said: Excited by the new changes!&nbsp; +) So if you are part of the Main Site team, you should be in three different projects (Roll20-Site, Roll20 Official Character Sheets, and Roll20 Character Sheets), correct?&nbsp; Hmmm yes and no.&nbsp; After these changes, if you are approved to join the Main Site project (Roll20-Site), you will still have to manually join the other 2 Character Sheet projects if you want to translate for them; we want to leave the choice of which ones to join up to you. Keep in mind the Character Sheet projects are open projects though, so there is no approval process for them. However, if you are already a translator before these changes have been made, we are looking into adding all current translators to the 3 projects. Current translators have access to everything right now (Character Sheets, Main Site, etc.), so it makes sense to get you added to all 3 projects right off the bat. Does that make sense? Or can I clarify anything there?
라브
Pro
Translator
Nicholas said: 라브 said: Excited by the new changes!&nbsp; +) So if you are part of the Main Site team, you should be in three different projects (Roll20-Site, Roll20 Official Character Sheets, and Roll20 Character Sheets), correct?&nbsp; Hmmm yes and no.&nbsp; After these changes, if you are approved to join the Main Site project (Roll20-Site), you will still have to manually join the other 2 Character Sheet projects if you want to translate for them; we want to leave the choice of which ones to join up to you. Keep in mind the Character Sheet projects are open projects though, so there is no approval process for them. However, if you are already a translator before these changes have been made, we are looking into adding all current translators to the 3 projects. Current translators have access to everything right now (Character Sheets, Main Site, etc.), so it makes sense to get you added to all 3 projects right off the bat. Does that make sense? Or can I clarify anything there? Makes Sense! Thanks for the clarification :)

Edited 1604701948
Nicholas
Roll20 Team
Hey folks! Quick update! We're running into some issues with the migration. As such, all 3 projects &nbsp;won't be ready to use until tomorrow. We'll continue to keep you updated as we make progress here. Apologies for the trouble!
Hey everyone, another update here! Unfortunately, we’re running into some issues with Crowdin and have not been able to fully complete the noted updates yet.&nbsp; As we work through these issues, translation submissions will be temporarily closed from now till Monday (11/09/2020). Our sincerest apologies for this inconvenience!&nbsp; If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let us know. Otherwise, we’ll continue to keep you updated on the status and situation.

Edited 1604856565
Nicholas
Roll20 Team
Hello again! Just wanted to update you here that all issues regarding Crowdin have been resolved. As of now, translations are up and running and you can begin to translate in any of the 3 new Crowdin projects. To reiterate, here is the general process and approval changes to each project. Main Site Approval to translate for&nbsp;this project&nbsp; is required . &nbsp;Submit a translation approval request through&nbsp; our Help Center form . Roll20 Official Character Sheets &nbsp;&amp;&nbsp; Roll20 Character Sheets Approval to translate for&nbsp;these projects&nbsp; is no longer required . You’ll either create a new&nbsp; Crowdin &nbsp;account or log in to an existing account, join one of those projects, and you’re good to go. Let us know if you have any other question, comments, or concerns! Thanks for your patience everyone! :)
Daniel T.
Sheet Author
Translator
Well, now all of the community sheets' translations to portuguese have been lost. For instance, the Savage Worlds official sheet was greatly translated, but in crowdin it now shows as 0% in Portuguese. The same for every other sheet.

Edited 1604888552
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Daniel T. said: Well, now all of the community sheets' translations to portuguese have been lost. For instance, the Savage Worlds official sheet was greatly translated, but in crowdin it now shows as 0% in Portuguese. The same for every other sheet. Seeing the same!&nbsp; Something is VERY wrong. <a href="https://crowdin.com/project/roll20-character-sheets" rel="nofollow">https://crowdin.com/project/roll20-character-sheets</a>

Edited 1604937379
Nicholas
Roll20 Team
Hey folks -&nbsp; It actually looks like the&nbsp; Roll20 Character Sheets &nbsp;project is still temporarily unavailable due to the project size - it's still working through the update. Our sincerest apologies for not catching that and notifying you. To confirm though, both the&nbsp; Roll20 Official Character Sheets &nbsp;and Main Site projects are up and good to go. We'll let you know as soon as soon as that final project ( Roll20 Character Sheets )&nbsp;has finished and is up and running. Thank you!
Hello everyone -&nbsp; Final update (hopefully)! The&nbsp; Roll20 Character Sheets &nbsp;project has finished updating and should now be available for translation as well. If you run into any issues or have any questions, please don't hesitate to let us know! Happy rolling! :)
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Thanks for the update Nicholas.
라브
Pro
Translator
D&amp;D 5e official sheet is no longer available on Roll20 Official Character Sheet Project. Is this an error or is it intended?

Edited 1605429836
Gan
Translator
Hi guys! I've been translating Blades in the Dark character in the local json file and just realised that the whole translation process has been moved to crowdin. As I appreciate the move I only realised this recent change when I commited the changes to Roll20 github. I understand you don't pull changes from github anymore so my question is - can I upload the json to crowdin or do I need to retype 1,2k lines again? Hopefully not the last one.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Gan said: Hi guys! I've been translating Blades in the Dark character in the local json file and just realised that the whole translation process has been moved to crowdin. As I appreciate the move I only realised this recent change when I commited the changes to Roll20 github. I understand you don't pull changes from github anymore so my question is - can I upload the json to crowdin or do I need to retype 1,2k lines again? Hopefully not the last one. It's been a good while that the process have been steered toward being on CrowdIn only, as Roll20 have said to every translation PR something like "we accept this now, but please do them on CrowdIn in the future." That's a lot of translations, so I'd assume Roll20 will make an exception for it still, so maybe wait a bit until retyping everything in CrowdIn, but do sign up for it so you can use it for any future translations. Submit your .json to github, explain the situation, and link to your comment here for context.
Gan
Translator
Thanks Andreas for your advice. I have already committed all my changes and they were merged into master. I also got that messege you mentioned. I can see the changes in the github, but nothing in the Roll20 nor in the crowdin. Does it takes some time to see these changes or do I need to contact someone from the Roll20 support? And yes I see that the process is going for quite some time, but after a two-year break, I get back to translating the sheets and didn't realize how much's changed. I should've visit the forum before diving into translation straight away. My bad.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Gan said: I can see the changes in the github, but nothing in the Roll20 nor in the crowdin. Roll20 merged some character sheet stuff on Friday, but think they didn't run the translation updates, which happens now and then, so I'd wait until after Tuesdays regular weekly updates have gone out before assuming something is wrong.

Edited 1605469643
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I recently updated the translation.json for the Forbidden Lands sheet (merged #7683 on Friday), but I'm not seeing any of those changes reflected in the language files on crowdin to allow for translation...&nbsp; I understand that sheets are now being merged more frequently(awesome), but how often will the translation updates happen?&nbsp; Is this an automated process (api) or does someone have to manually merge/update translation changes? Please excuse my ignorance... Thanks

Edited 1605662672
Nicholas
Roll20 Team
라브 said: D&amp;D 5e official sheet is no longer available on Roll20 Official Character Sheet Project. Is this an error or is it intended? Hey there! You should be able to access the 5th edition sheet at this point. If you are still having trouble accessing it, please let me know.
∇ince said: I recently updated the translation.json for the Forbidden Lands sheet (merged #7683 on Friday), but I'm not seeing any of those changes reflected in the language files on crowdin to allow for translation...&nbsp; I understand that sheets are now being merged more frequently(awesome), but how often will the translation updates happen?&nbsp; Is this an automated process (api) or does someone have to manually merge/update translation changes? Please excuse my ignorance... Thanks Hey&nbsp;∇ince -&nbsp; No worries at all! We might tweak the timing a bit, but right now the Crowdin API checks for and uploads any changes made to the translation.json files in the various repo's roughly every hour. Translations then submitted by translators through Crowdin are manually reviewed/merged and made live at the same time (usually) as the weekly sheet update.&nbsp; Does that make sense? Or can I clarify anything there?
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Thank you for the explanation Nicholas.&nbsp; I've re-checked crowdin and I now see the translation.json changes reflected in the language files now.&nbsp; I probably just needed be a little more patient... ;-)&nbsp;

Edited 1605716117
Gan
Translator
Gan said: I have already committed all my changes and they were merged into master. I also got that messege you mentioned. I can see the changes in the github, but nothing in the Roll20 nor in the crowdin. Does it takes some time to see these changes or do I need to contact someone from the Roll20 support? It seems all my changes have been overwritten by the crowdin update. So it seems, that there is no other way then copy-pasting the translation one-by-one?
Gan said: Gan said: I have already committed all my changes and they were merged into master. I also got that messege you mentioned. I can see the changes in the github, but nothing in the Roll20 nor in the crowdin. Does it takes some time to see these changes or do I need to contact someone from the Roll20 support? It seems all my changes have been overwritten by the crowdin update. So it seems, that there is no other way then copy-pasting the translation one-by-one? Hey Gan -&nbsp; In general, we are no longer accepting translations outside of Crowdin. However, I've sent you a PM to help get this resolved without copy-pasting. Send me a reply via PM whenever you get a chance. Thanks!
Gan
Translator
Hey Gan -&nbsp; In general, we are no longer accepting translations outside of Crowdin. However, I've sent you a PM to help get this resolved without copy-pasting. Send me a reply via PM whenever you get a chance. Thanks! I've just sent you PM. Thanks for your help and sorry for all the fuss.
On Sunday I finished 5th Edition OGL by Roll20 character sheet translation into Catalan using Crowdin. This week no Catalan translation are shown in live Roll20 character sheets. Is strange because previous week partial translations were really visible. This problem seems to only happen with Catalan translations, as the other language translations ​are working well. Is there a problem with Catalan language selector? Or it's a matter of time that the Catalan translation could be committed to live? Thank you very much
It was solved yesterday and the Catalan translations are already visible again. Thank you very much

Edited 1607174871
There is an issue for Shadowrun 5th character sheet with french translation. Skills variables attributes have been translated, most of the dices pool are no longer correctly calculated. Example : @{primary_melee_weapon_skill} refer to @{unarmedcombat} but in the attributes list, @{unarmedcombat} is now called @{combatàmainsnues}. This issue concern only skills attributes names. Is there a way to make a rollback ? All (and only them) the skills variables in attributes list are now translated and all formula using it are no longer working.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Akefal said: There is an issue for Shadowrun 5th character sheet with french translation. Skills variables attributes have been translated, most of the dices pool are no longer correctly calculated. Example : @{primary_melee_weapon_skill} refer to @{unarmedcombat} but in the attributes list, @{unarmedcombat} is now called @{combatàmainsnues}. This issue concern only skills attributes names. Is there a way to make a rollback ? All (and only them) the skills variables in attributes list are now translated and all formula using it are no longer working. The attribute names shouldn't have been changed, those must stay the same between translations. Translation updates are done on CrowdIn, and a "rollback" on translations isn't the same as on github, so not sure whats the easiest way to fix that. You can go to github and dig up the previous version of the fr.json&nbsp; file and use it until the main thing is fixed.
ᐰndreas J. said: The attribute names shouldn't have been changed, those must stay the same between translations. Translation updates are done on CrowdIn, and a "rollback" on translations isn't the same as on github, so not sure whats the easiest way to fix that. You can go to github and dig up the previous version of the fr.json&nbsp; file and use it until the main thing is fixed. How can I use a previous .json ? Where can I choose to use a .json than another in my game ?
Heya&nbsp;Akefal - Were you still running into troubles here? Or were you able to get this resolved?
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
Nicholas, There is a long standing issue in the translations for the D&amp;D 3.5 sheet.&nbsp; The original translation.json file has the line "height": "Height", but when viewed in game, it reads "Page Height" (presumably from Roll20's main page translation string) in that spot: How is the best way to fix this issue?&nbsp; Thanks.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Diana P said: How is the best way to fix this issue?&nbsp; Thanks. By joining the CrowdIn project for community sheets and changing the translation so it's correct. <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/CrowdIn" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/CrowdIn</a> has some older info on this, but the "translate" option from when you open the menu under "Profile" should lead you there.
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
All the translation files for the character sheet are correct as best I can tell.&nbsp; "Page Height" is not listed in any of them anywhere.&nbsp; That is why I assume it is coming from the main site's file.&nbsp; For example.&nbsp; in the translation file for German, it says--&nbsp; " height " : " Höhe " , but when I change my game to German, I get:&nbsp; Seitenh öhe in that spot.. which is "Page Height". Basically it looks like the Roll20 main site translations are overwriting the translations for the individual character sheet and that someone took the short cut of putting their key for "page height" in as "height".&nbsp; I would assume this actually affects other character sheets as well if they also used "height" as a key. The only way I see to fix it on my end would be to actually go in and change my key to be something else.&nbsp; But that would not fix any other sheets which may also see the same issue.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Diana P said: All the translation files for the character sheet are correct as best I can tell.&nbsp; Huh, seems you're right, didn't find anything wrong with the .json files for the sheet. So you said "Page Height" appears on at least the English and the German versions, even if they have the correct correct codes there. I would assume this actually affects other character sheets as well if they also used "height" as a key. The only way I see to fix it on my end would be to actually go in and change my key to be something else.&nbsp; But that would not fix any other sheets which may also see the same issue. Hmm interesting. Do you remember when this started happening with the sheet, was it a few weeks ago, around when the translation changes was made by roll20? Quite plausible other sheets are affected.
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
If I recall correctly, it has been happening for a while.&nbsp; Longer than a few weeks, anyway.&nbsp; I just became motivated to try to do something about it because one of the translators brought it to my attention again. Also, I can go into a game with a custom sheet and put in: HTML Layout:&nbsp; &lt;span data-i18n="height"&gt;Height&lt;/span&gt; Translation:&nbsp; { &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;"height": "Height" } And the output is: Page Height So something odd is going on.

Edited 1607985240
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
I found the part on Crowdin that is linked to what you're talking about. <a href="https://crowdin.com/translate/roll20-site/4732/en-en?filter=basic&amp;value=0" rel="nofollow">https://crowdin.com/translate/roll20-site/4732/en-en?filter=basic&amp;value=0</a>
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
Hm.&nbsp; So how do we get this fixed?&nbsp; Is there a better place to report this?
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
<a href="https://roll20.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new" rel="nofollow">https://roll20.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new</a> is for reporting things to Roll20
This issue is most likely caused by an earlier version of the sheet having a different translation for this key, and then changing the source translation after the initial version. There are two possible solutions here: Add a new translation key for "height". This is recommended if there are other places in the sheet that use the "Page Height" translation. Simply add an English translation as "Height" in that translation box. The latter solution can be done through Crowdin, the former would require modifying the source "translation.json" file in GitHub, as well as the places in the HTML file that use the translation.

Edited 1608059195
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Nathanael W. said: Simply add an English translation as "Height" in that translation box. Oh, didn't consider updating CrowdIn would help from changing the default, good to know! And the change would be recommended for the English version, and every untranslated language that also uses the default translation. Edit: I updated for english and every language that hadn't translated it so far with "Height" <a href="https://crowdin.com/translate/roll20-character-sheets/9698/en-en?filter=basic&amp;value=0#q=hei" rel="nofollow">https://crowdin.com/translate/roll20-character-sheets/9698/en-en?filter=basic&amp;value=0#q=hei</a> Did add translations for to word in some languages that had suggestions.
Hey folks! Since these changes have been deployed and most questions or concerns have been answered here, we're going to go ahead and close this thread. If you have any other feedback or issues, please reach out to our support team via this form &nbsp;and they'll get you squared away. Thanks all!