Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Being a DM: Setting up a campaign, recruiting players and...

OK, so I have not advertised too many campaigns of my own, but I have two that have given me fairly similar results. Lots of folks want to play Many will sign up Many will never log in (launch game) If you don't launch the game the DM cannot assign token/characters to you If you do sign up, be willing to communicate and share some basic information Scheduling is a multi-part negociation Usually this is set by the DM (hey, they have to be there) If there is a schedule: Please communicate if you can't make it Please try to work out when you can Please show up on time Sessions Show up early to work out voice/video issues be prepared know you character Log in before the session and set up macros, etc  be ready to chat and have fun Setting up campaigns read all the notes on how to tweak and position maps I have found that creating a character for each type of creature allows me to easily set multiple attributes and macros that are easy to find, have flavor and lets me quickly update token information when I have different tokens for the same type of creature. don't worry about having everything ready, just 1-2 things more than you think you will get through in a session. Ok, now we can discuss the above or add your own.
I am starting up a game (will play on Monday, weekly), I hosted a game a few months ago, it feel apart after the 3rd week. I'm not the best at storytelling or plots, but my group is aware of this and have opted to help me out. But I have a few encounters and quests set up. I think the 1st session we will be setting everything up and making sure everything works and then we will see how far we get through these starter quests. Any other points/tips are welcome.
what voice option are you using? Skype/Ventrillo/Google+Hangouts/Built in voice/video?
Google Hangout launched from Roll20. Seems to be the best option so far
The layout of this makes me think you are building a game and needing players.  I'm all about joining in.  Hope I can get some more details.
Nice outline ^.^ Some things you might want to add: If you're using something other than roll20 voice, make it clear before sessions. Link character sheet before game. It's not good cutting into the first hour of play to set them up.  Let players know any house rules Managing after start... If someone misses more than one session, you're likely to need a replacement. I've noticed the small groups tend to die off because players just don't bother to show or show up late/early and then leave because it was canceled seeing as people weren't there at start. 
Im using G+, I'm getting their character sheets via PDF and/or Myth-Weaver. I'm trying to follow the DM outline for players (6 players, 5 PC's, and 1 DM) So as of now we are full. But if spots do open up i'll let everyone know. I don't really have any house rules, to be honest I'm winging it a bit. 1st session is going to be about setting things up, and then I have 3 encounters set up for them (xp budgets 1st=500, 2nd=600, 3rd=650) I doubt we'll make it through everything in the first session. OH and i'm limiting it to PH1 & 2, to make things a little easier.
Part of this was in response to my own and other DMs experience of setting up games, doing lots of leg work and then have 1/3 to 1/2 of the players "signed up" even bother to connect or continue to show up.  I'll admit that I do have fun building maps and macros and prepping for games, but it is a little down to have players not show up.  But then most of my games are not with close associates, but folks that I found here or other RPG forums.
I just want to play :L *whines*
And you're allowed to. Downside is that there's a shortage of us GMs and an excess of players, which means it might take a while before you manage to snag a spot as a player :) (been two years since I was one, so I know how it feels)
is there a way to share campaigns, I might just start one, even though I have no Idea what im doing.Im definitely not up for building one atm
83 pdfs ... no all work if you don't have D&amp;D insider. <a href="http://www.dungeonmastering.com/campaigns-adventures/83-free-dd-adventures" rel="nofollow">http://www.dungeonmastering.com/campaigns-adventures/83-free-dd-adventures</a>
Yes, you can share a campaign. Start one, invite the other GM, "promote to GM" on the campaign screen. Voila, two GMs. :)
Michael B - That is a problem. I think part of it can be helped by not posting join link publicly. Some people just click to look at what you're offering and don't bother leaving. Having players need to make/submit a character and be involved gives them some investment in joining. It's useful to overbook. Set it up for 6...make it easily scalable to as little as 3, less than that you can rescedual and try to find more reliable players.
more is the continuing sessions: not getting enough players to continue (say I have 7 players and only 3 show for a session). &nbsp;If I get 4 we proceed, I log in early (20-30 minutes) an will wait an extra 30 (unless those that do show are talking about something interesting)
This is the closest thing to a handy preparedness checklist I've found about roll20.net specific advice for GMs. Thank you thank you hurray hurray
Haven't even started yet and 1 guys bailed out, and had to re-adjust time to fit for another.
This may not work for all campaigns, but I invited more people than I needed, and had a signup post for the session. &nbsp;First signed up, first in. &nbsp;If someone doesn't show, next on the list. &nbsp;Worked out pretty well. &nbsp;But you have to be able to have a campaign where you can slot in different players each week. &nbsp;Given the roll20 format, I think you've got to accept there's going to be turnover.
So I have a few handouts, and all the macros done. But its a lot of work &nbsp;how do you guys handle your games.
Lots of PRE Game set up. &nbsp;Take a day to set up a module (I've got the first Scales of War done). &nbsp;The more ground work you do (maps, macros, etc.) the less stuff you need to during the game. &nbsp;Easier to copy a token than scramble finding one and adjusting on the fly. &nbsp;Same with Macros. &nbsp;As noted above I set a character for each Monster so I can quick find the macros in game. &nbsp;It's like teaching a class, 2-3 hours prep for each hour you expect of game time.
Create a character for the monstet? What do you mean, how do you do that?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Casey, I don't bother with creating NPC sheets. I just use the tokens and dump the statblocks into the tokens and then tweak the layout of the stat block. While I don't wind up with macros for the creatures I just have to look at the statblocks to see what bonuses to apply.&nbsp; - Gauss
THis is what Immean by make a "character" for a monster. Make an entry in the Journal like the below Then I can Select represents&nbsp;Character when I edit a token, &nbsp;This pulls in HP and name then you set it back to generic token. &nbsp;saves typing. This makes it easy to have different tokens that have the same basic stats. &nbsp;It also lets me put some flavor text around the macro.
That looks cool, ill give it a try.
If you sign up for a game, communicate. &nbsp;Let the DM know any questions/issues that you need clarified.&nbsp; The DM is a 100% participant, please try to be the same. &nbsp;In this format we usually do not interact outside of the game/fora, expect to monitor these for details/changes/answers. DMing is like teaching classes, for each hour of the session the DM has put 2-3 hours putting things together (even if it is just maps and tokens). &nbsp;Respect this.