Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Character Sheet Backend Changes

Hey folks! More awesome and exciting news! We’re making some updates to the way Character Sheets work on the backend. These updates will not have any user-facing changes, but allows us to do the following: Support Character Sheets in the mobile app beta Improve Character Sheet deployment Character Sheet changes will deploy automatically after being merged (no more waiting till the next Tuesday. Yay!) Faster fixes for breaking changes Utilize better caching services for Character Sheets Additionally, this will allow for some exciting new possibilities down the road, including but not limited to: automatic versioning, designated ‘beta’ sheet versions, and much more! These changes do impact how we're serving the data for all sheets. As such, there is the potential that HTML, CSS and Translations might not work in the VTT exactly the same way as the previous system.  We've been testing this internally for a while, but with 800+ character sheets, we can't check them all ourselves. To help verify these new updates, we would love to have the community review your sheets to test these backend changes as well. Please test and give us any feedback, issues, or comments you have! Starting now, these changes are available for testing on the Dev Server . To test, create a Custom Sheet Sandbox game on the  Dev Server , or create a normal game on the Dev Server , and add your sheet via Custom Character Sheet code, or select it via the Character Sheet dropdown.  As you go through and test, here are some things to specifically look for: Is your sheet displaying correctly? (html, css, etc.) Are translations showing up normally? Are any missing? Are you noticing anything strange occur with sheet workers, roll templates, etc.? If you notice anything in your testing, please respond in this thread with the following: A description of the problem and reproduction steps if possible The name of the Character Sheet A link or name of the game you were testing with Thank you for your assistance in making Character Sheets better! As always, happy rolling! :)

Edited 1604160502
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Nicholas said: These changes do impact how we're serving the data for all sheets. As such, there is the potential that HTML, CSS and Translations might not work in the VTT exactly the same way as the previous system.  1. Can you give some form of rundown or speculation on what kind of things might not work as it used to, give some examples you've found so far? Support Character Sheets in the mobile app beta 2. Does this mean sheet authors have a guaranteed spot on the mobile beta, if they choose to apply for it? 3. Is there a timeline for when this update is going to come? The Translation stuff is next week, but I sure hope this is on the dev server for a good while and waiting on feedback from sheet authors.
ᐰndreas J. said: 1. Can you give some form of rundown or speculation on what kind of things might not work as it used to, give some examples you've found so far? 2. Does this mean sheet authors have a guaranteed spot on the mobile beta, if they choose to apply for it? 3. Is there a timeline for when this update is going to come? The Translation stuff is next week, but I sure hope this is on the dev server for a good while and waiting on feedback from sheet authors. 1. Probably the thing that has the biggest potential of being different is special (non Unicode/non ASCII) characters. While we've resolved all of the issues that we've actually observed, there is still the possibility that some characters aren't converted correctly, or at least are not converted in exactly the same way as they currently are. Outside of this, we’ve also purposefully left the rest of the suggested testing a bit open-ended. Due to the nature of the changes, we would rather have you do more free form testing so we can catch any weird edge cases or one-off type things. We don’t expect any, but we would rather be thorough in this case. 2. At this time, no. We are developing tools to help sheet authors get their sheets mobile ready, but we're not quite ready to talk about those yet. 3. This update will be on the dev server for a minimum of 2 weeks, possibly more depending on how many issues are found.
Richard T.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
This is off to the side but while we're on backend stuff, wondering if there's going to be more support for character sheets' ability to use <video> and broader @keyframe support. 
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Richard T. said: This is off to the side but while we're on backend stuff, wondering if there's going to be more support for character sheets' ability to use <video> and broader @keyframe support. 1. Or other sheet-related suggestions, like display the character's Avatar or bio description from the Bio tab? 2. What will the mobile-based adaptions entail, will we get access to new hmtl/css/js options to use in sheets? 3. From the mobile trailer teaser, the 5e sheet looked to be a complete redesign, but I'd assume that's not actually needed for things to work? Q: Does this mean sheet authors have a guaranteed spot on the mobile beta, if they choose to apply for it? A: At this time, no. We are developing tools to help sheet authors get their sheets mobile ready, but we're not quite ready to talk about those yet. Oh, I would have thought roping in sheet author among the early testers would be a smart idea, if there is any "closed" beta stage.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Character Sheet changes will deploy automatically after being merged (no more waiting till the next Tuesday. Yay!) Currently authors submit by Monday, pulls are merged to the master repo, then it takes a day or two to see the results on the the main servers.  So, will the pulls still be processed weekly but sheet changes go live at the time they are merged, or are we going to see daily merges that go live at the time they are merged? Thanks
Vince said: Character Sheet changes will deploy automatically after being merged (no more waiting till the next Tuesday. Yay!) Currently authors submit by Monday, pulls are merged to the master repo, then it takes a day or two to see the results on the the main servers.  So, will the pulls still be processed weekly but sheet changes go live at the time they are merged, or are we going to see daily merges that go live at the time they are merged? Thanks We will be increasing the frequency of PR merges. Not necessarily daily, but they will be more frequent than the current merge schedule. And yes, the changes will go live automatically as PRs are merged (usually within a few minutes).

Edited 1604359448
Nicholas
Roll20 Team
Richard T. said: This is off to the side but while we're on backend stuff, wondering if there's going to be more support for character sheets' ability to use <video> and broader @keyframe support.  ᐰndreas J. said: Richard T. said: This is off to the side but while we're on backend stuff, wondering if there's going to be more support for character sheets' ability to use <video> and broader @keyframe support. 1. Or other sheet-related suggestions, like display the character's Avatar or bio description from the Bio tab? 2. What will the mobile-based adaptions entail, will we get access to new hmtl/css/js options to use in sheets? 3. From the mobile trailer teaser, the 5e sheet looked to be a complete redesign, but I'd assume that's not actually needed for things to work? Q: Does this mean sheet authors have a guaranteed spot on the mobile beta, if they choose to apply for it? A: At this time, no. We are developing tools to help sheet authors get their sheets mobile ready, but we're not quite ready to talk about those yet. Oh, I would have thought roping in sheet author among the early testers would be a smart idea, if there is any "closed" beta stage. These are all awesome ideas! However, we’re going to save most of these discussions for later down the road. We want to focus this thread and discussion around the backend changes only.  To answer the broad point though, yes, we are looking into additional tools and offerings for Character Sheets, especially around responsive development. We'll definitely be reaching out to the community and sheet authors for feedback and thoughts when we get closer to time.
Nicholas said: Is your sheet displaying correctly? (html, css, etc.) Are translations showing up normally? Are any missing? Are you noticing anything strange occur with sheet workers, roll templates, etc.? hello, i'm simple user and MJ in my small group, i have a probleme with the character sheet i use, nothing displaying and showing correctly, missing the back page and hides my view on page. it's become impossible to roll a D on character sheet i don't realy understand and i need your help for that (i hope my english is correct)
Hi. The One Ring Character sheet is now broken. Not only lost the style, the character sheet lost the character hability points and is unplayable.

Edited 1604749793
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
There are multiple sheets broken right now, it looks like a problem with roll20's servers. These aren't on the dev server, so this might not be the right thread to report it, but it seems to be happening across every sheet I've tested (on the production server). The most obvious symptom is background images that are being loaded through roll20's image servers are not being loaded. Here's two threads reporting this: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/9443317/forbidden-lands-dice-images-lost" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/9443317/forbidden-lands-dice-images-lost</a> <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/9453783/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/9453783/</a>
The Shaped 5e sheet has lost all its background textures. While still functional it's really annoying to the eye
Same with the Conan Character sheets. But with all the missing text it is really difficult to use them. Do we know how long it will take to fix this?&nbsp;
Shadow of the Demon Lord's background image is missing, also causing some of the labels to be gone.
FFG Star Wars scharcter sheet crashed too.
The sheet for the Alien RPG (both in the Destroyer of Worlds module and independently) does not show any images on the dice when the sheet is used to roll base dice and stress dice, just blank squares.
Pathfinder 1e Community Sheet has also lost its background images
Scum &amp; Villainy and Wrath &amp; Glory also broken. Same issues as others in these threads with The One Ring, Conan 2D20, The Witcher.
Same goes for The Forbbiden Lands Sheet... That is not so cool. My next session is on Tuesday. I hope thy fix the problem as fast as possible for all players that will play in the next hours.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
There are multiple sheets broken right now, it looks like a problem with roll20's servers, and this have nothing to do with future sheet changes this thread is talking about GiGs said: There are multiple sheets broken right now, it looks like a problem with roll20's servers. These aren't on the dev server, so this might not be the right thread to report it, but it seems to be happening across every sheet I've tested (on the production server). The most obvious symptom is background images that are being loaded through roll20's image servers are not being loaded. Here's two threads reporting this: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/9443317/forbidden-lands-dice-images-lost" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/9443317/forbidden-lands-dice-images-lost</a> <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/9453783/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/9453783/</a>
Fabien F. said: FFG Star Wars scharcter sheet crashed too. Yup. Any Updates from roll20?
The 5E OGL sheet looks fine on production. Shaped sheet - not so much (the only two I've tested)

Edited 1604775358
Atlau
Roll20 Team
Hey Folks, we're looking into the character sheet images being broken right now. We'll try to provide updates as we have them. EDIT: This issue should be solved as of 10:30 AM Pacific time.
Runequest in Glorantha also crashed.
Coriolis charcter sheet&nbsp; repaierd, TY!
One ring character sheet works again!!!!!! Thanks team.

Edited 1605107896
Drude
Plus
Edited for being off-topic
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Drude said: Hi all! I have still some problems with the Warhammer Fantasy 2nd Edition (French) sheet. When rolling dice from the spreadsheet, some images are not loaded. Not a deal breaker, but still, not enjoyable ^^ Whatever is going on with that sheet has nothing to do with the Character sheet changes mentioned in the thread, as roll20 haven't implemented it yet. Seems that the URL for one the images used in the sheet have stopped working, likely due to the original image being deleted in the original source. Looking at the sheet source code quickly, I didn't find anything not working, so couldn't identify the problem right away. Uploading the nonworking image to github &amp; then changing the url to it should solve the problems. Do you know what image should be shown in place of that broken-image symbol?(don't answer here, give that info in a separate thread) I suggest you make a separate thread about the broken sheet, with info on what the image should be or if it can just be removed, and us sheet author people can take a look at it.
ᐰndreas J. said: Whatever is going on with that sheet has nothing to do with the Character sheet changes mentioned in the thread, as roll20 haven't implemented it yet. My mistake, I understood the changes were live. I have created a dedicated topic on the subject, as per your advice. Thanks for your time!
I'm not sure if this is the right place to pose this question but if I want to take a character I have irl on paper is it possible to put that character into the site on a blank sheet?&nbsp;
Joshua S.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
On the dev server, when I paste in my custom character sheet code and click "save changes" everything works initially, but when I go back to the custom code editor I find that: 1) my textworkers have been removed from the html 2) all of my html class names have been changed to add "sheet-" 3) my CSS has been altered to add ".charsheet" before each entry Points 2) and 3) do not seem to alter functionality in any way, but my textworker being deleted every time means that I have to put it back in every time. If I save without retyping the textworker my sheet breaks. I am guessing that this is related to the backend changes?

Edited 1606782850
This might be related, but at least on D&amp;D 5e, default sheet settings are not retaining checkbox values when saved. I've been trying to select ADD DEX TIEBREAKER TO INITIATIVE and other checkboxes in the form and they will not save in Firefox or Chrome (latest versions).
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Mark L said: This might be related, but at least on D&amp;D 5e, default sheet settings are not retaining checkbox values when saved. I've been trying to select ADD DEX TIEBREAKER TO INITIATIVE and other checkboxes in the form and they will not save in Firefox or Chrome (latest versions). Best place to ask that is the&nbsp; D&amp;D 5th Edition by Roll20 &nbsp;thread.
Thanks @kiethcurtis. New to the forums and didn't see that thread.

Edited 1606860033
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Character Sheet Backend Changes where rolled out yesterday The multiple bugs on a number of unrelated character sheets today/yesterday, are likely caused by this update. I'm under the impression the solution is for sheet authors and volunteers to make changes to the sheet so it functions properly with these changes to how Roll20 handles sheets. Hopefully we'll get an official word on this soon. Update 2: fix have solved for some sheets It seems roll20's code for parsing CSS became a bit more strict, and allows less errors that previously passed their filters. A fix have been done that have fixed issues on some sheets, but at least the Traveller 2E sheet still had some issues. As an example, my Stargate RPG sheet had a trailing comma after the last css class, which caused the problem: .sheet-w40, input[type="text"].sheet-w40, input[type="number"].sheet-w40 , { width: 40px; } The sheet would be fixed by either removing the trailing comma(best practice to do so anyway), or by adding .charsheet as an extra css condition. Removing the comma: .sheet-w40, input[type="text"].sheet-w40, input[type="number"].sheet-w40{ width: 40px; } Adding .charsheet : .sheet-w40, .charsheet, input[type="text"].sheet-w40, input[type="number"].sheet-w40,{ width: 40px; } It stands to reason that many of the bugs are are related to this type of mistake in the sheet code, and have similar solutions. The sheet should start working again soon(later today?), as I heard this change to the filter will be rolled back, for now at least.
Still issues as of today with traveller 2e sheet.
Pathfinder 1st edition roll20 character sheet an charactermancer still not working today :(
Yeah... Traveller 2e sheet its still broken
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
A new update was supposedly rolled out some two hours ago , good if people check the sheets again and report back if they now work. At least the traveller sheet should be fixed.
Yep, its working for me atm.
Correct, a hotfix earlier today fixed the reported issue on Traveller 2d of not being able to switch between tabs. This will likely address several of the other reported issues. Please make sure issues are still happening before adding them to this thread, as we are actively working on reported issues. Please be as specific as possible when describing issues, as the devs may not be familiar with the sheet in question.
Specifically, the latest hotfix addressed an issue where only the first set of sheetworkers were actually being used. So, if a sheet used multiple separate script tags, only the code within the first set of tags would actually be running. This issue should be fixed now.
Also, to further clarify, the backend changes were indeed pushed live on Monday. We apologize for the lack of messaging around this, for various reasons we had to change our release plans rather suddenly, because of this we ended up dropping the ball when it came to communication.
The charactermancer in 5e is not giving starting equipment to characters, and the entire equipment box is blank. Is this a result of these changes?
Hello folks. I don't forum much, so sorry if this is in the wrong place or doesn't have enough information. I've made a few custom sheets for little homebrew games among our gaming crew, and they have some weird formatting problems that appeared recently without any edits on my part, so I think it's related to this. The preview image on the editor shows it as normal too. This is what it used to look like and how it looks now: . If it's useful, this is the html I used for the Perceptive skill's line (the name, the 3 variables, and the button.) Most other entries are basically the same. &lt;label title='uses WIS - Anything related to observation, including physical senses of all kinds and seeing through the social tricks of others.'&gt; Perceptive&nbsp; &lt;input type="number" title='perceptive' name="attr_perceptive" style="width: 40px;" readonly=true value="0"&gt; &lt;input type="number" title='perceptiveBonus' name="attr_perceptiveBonus" style="width: 40px;" value="0"&gt; &lt;input type="number" title='advperceptive' name="attr_advperceptive" style="width: 40px;" value="0"&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &lt;button type='roll' title='PerceptiveCheck' name='roll_PerceptiveCheck' value='&amp;{template:default} {{name=Perceptive}} {{ [[ [[ @{advperceptive} + 1 ]]d20kh1 + @{perceptive} ]] }}'&gt;&lt;/button&gt; &lt;/label&gt; Any help or advice would be welcome.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Jacob B. said: The charactermancer in 5e is not giving starting equipment to characters, and the entire equipment box is blank. Is this a result of these changes? The best place to report that would be the&nbsp; D&amp;D 5th Edition by Roll20 &nbsp;feedback thread, I suspect it has to do with an option chose in the settings, but if you post your problem and a screen shot there, I'm sure someone (or me) will help.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Jim C. said: Hello folks. I don't forum much, so sorry if this is in the wrong place or doesn't have enough information. I've made a few custom sheets for little homebrew games among our gaming crew, and they have some weird formatting problems that appeared recently without any edits on my part, so I think it's related to this. The preview image on the editor shows it as normal too. Never fully rely on the Preview image, it's only approximate. Number 4, <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Building_Character_Sheets#Common_Mistakes" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Building_Character_Sheets#Common_Mistakes</a> The update essentially made the Roll20 code parser more strict, so the errors on sheet are essentially coaused by smaller error existing on the sheet, which previously had been okay, so if you run your code through a validator and fix errors found there. And also look at your CSS, we have no idea just based on some partial html to figure anything out. Suggest you make a separate thread on this.
Hey&nbsp;ᐰndreas, thanks for the reply. Yep, the previews are sometimes tricky, but it was more of an example of how it looked for real in the campaign before the update. I'm very much an amateur at the coding side of things, I didn't even know about validators. So thanks so much for your help! That's already helping me sort through the little errors. If anyone stumbles across this with the same issues, it seems the primary problem is that you can't have multiple things inside one &lt;label&gt; in the html anymore. Thanks again for your help!
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Jim C. said: If anyone stumbles across this with the same issues, it seems the primary problem is that you can't have multiple things inside one &lt;label&gt; in the html anymore. Are you saying having multiple inputs doesn't work in labels any longer, or having multiple elements of anything inside labels doesn't work? Can you show the code snippet that doesn't work any longer? This behavior might might not be ideal, but labels are meant to represent a single thing, so it's slightly more proper to use div or span if you start cramming multiple elements inside, rather than a label. So I can understand if the update might have become more strict regarding this.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
ᐰndreas J. said: Jim C. said: If anyone stumbles across this with the same issues, it seems the primary problem is that you can't have multiple things inside one &lt;label&gt; in the html anymore. Are you saying having multiple inputs doesn't work in labels any longer, or having multiple elements of anything inside labels doesn't work? Can you show the code snippet that doesn't work any longer? This behavior might might not be ideal, but labels are meant to represent a single thing, so it's slightly more proper to use div or span if you start cramming multiple elements inside, rather than a label. So I can understand if the update might have become more strict regarding this. I hope we can still have multiple elements inside a label, for example a span and an input element. With internationalization, it's easier to include spans inside the label rather than having to include html stuff in the translation file for the input field. I'd totally understand why only one input type of element, though.