Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Switching Characters While Retaining Token Bars

Edited 1605234067
So I play on a West Marches style DND 5e game, we have hundreds of players and dozens of games each week. I wanted to put together a streamable system in which it shows the players general stats and spell slots within roll20. However I've hit a barrier. I have a bunch setup but if I change out the Represents Character, it resets all the token bar attributes. Is there a way to switch which character it represents, while retaining the attribute selection? IE HP or Hit Dice?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I think that's new behavior. Hmm. Me no like.
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Yeah.... hope that isn't intentional.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
The link is stored as the unique id of the attribute it's linked to.  Attributes are associated with a character, which means they must be cleared when you are representing a new character.  I don't think this is new behavior, just not something you would normally notice or think about as you'd be starting with a blank token and setting the initial links. 
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ohhhhhh, me misunderstandy. I was thinking the actual numeric values were being wiped. I don't think I've changed the "represents" and paid attention to whether they stay linked.
This looks a smart way of using tokens. I think there are multiple ways to achieve what you want. If you were pro, you could alternativily write a script that writes this info to a handout every time a character is changed and then use that handout.  Or create these tokens with a api script. Or what i have also seen: create a handout with just the data and use that in an external program to create the character display.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Yeah, I could certainly be misremembering here. I very rarely set those manually.

Edited 1605293275
I want to try to do a non API version, not cause I don't wanna go pro. But cause our campaign admin owns all the rooms (all the DM rooms) and I would have to convince her to setup the script, which would be a hassle, as well as others that wanted scripts in their rooms were turned down. And it doesn't seem possible to display attributes values in a handout, or am I mistaken?