Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Bigger map completely unplayable - slowing down bandwidth

Hi there, I recently subscribed for Roll20 Plus, and purchased several tile and animation art packages. I used these to make some bigger maps with various character tokens and animations on it. When I switched to these maps in today's session, bandwidth instantly collapsed - all players had to switch off video, I stopped all animations, and while it got better a little, even with all that, we still had problems hearing each other. Switching back to a page/map with just a plain image improved the situation. Switching back to the map, one player (using a Chromebook) even mentioned getting an alert because of high CPU usage. We had these problems with different systems (Windows 10, Chromebook) and browsers (Chrome, Opera). We tried different setups, using Zoom or using Roll20 voice chat, and nothing really helped. We finally decided to stop the session. Right now it seems to me that tile sets and animations are basically completely useless purchases because building maps this way seems to wreck Roll20 completely, increasing bandwidth needs so drastically that playing becomes impossible.
An addition after I read in another post about dynamic lighting lagging problems: When switching off dynamic lighting, animations play smoothly. With dynamic lighting on, animations are a major problem. Tokens update faster without dynamic lighting activated, etc. I can't test chat / bandwidth problems right now, as we've already interrupted our session, but this SEEMS to be a dynamic lighting problem.
Question for the Roll20 Team: There seems to be an answer here from someone called "Ajax" when I look at the topics overview, but it doesn't appear in the post itself..?
Sometimes when I reply to topics my message never actually appears in the page, but the "Last Post" status does get updated to say that I replied.  I posted a bug report about it before .
In fact it took me 2 attempts to get that reply to appear.  I think the issue might be to do with quoting text.  My first attempt used a quote, the second attempt did not.
Wow, that's bad. Wonder how many helpful comments just get lost in the void...
And I actually got three notifications from answers from you, but only see two comments.

Edited 1605542225
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Heiner said: Question for the Roll20 Team: There seems to be an answer here from someone called "Ajax" when I look at the topics overview, but it doesn't appear in the post itself..? I'm not on the Roll20 team, but speaking as a former Roll20 forum moderator, I can say that there are several was that situation can appear, arising from a deleted post. The post could have been deleted by a user, who maybe thought their answer wasn't helpful or who realized they posted in the wrong thread, or it could have been deleted by a moderator for violation forum Code of Conduct, or it could have been spam. The post disappears, but the notification stays.
Ah I see - thanks! A bit confusing, but once you know it, it's okay. Only problem is if a post actually disappears, like Alan described. And then you have no way of telling if something went wrong or not. :-/