Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Display layer on map and tokens

In the VTTES extension, you can choose to have a clear visual display of what layer you're on in one of the corner windows of the map (top left, top right, bottom left, or bottom right). If you're on the Object layer, it says so at a font size you can control, white text on a red background. GM layer is green background. Map layer is yellow background. DL layer is blue. This functionality lets me know at a glance where I am, and needs to be built into Roll20 itself. I don't want to waste time clicking on the toolbar to figure out whether I'm on the Object layer or the Map layer, and I don't want to depend on page opacity to distinguish GM tokens from Object layer tokens. Correspondingly, the VTTES extension lets you choose whether to display a visual, color-coded layer marker on tokens. Same color scheme, and you can decide which layers should have that marker. For example, I have the Object marker off, but the GM marker on, because I want to know at a glance what tokens are hidden from players. Both these pieces of (basic) functionality would make a big quality-of-life difference to Roll20 users, I think.
I am making this suggestion, in part, because it seems like it would be fairly straightforward to implement. No complicated features, it's not resource-intensive. Just the ability to display the active layer on pages and tokens. Functionality that the free VTTES extension has had for a long time now. 
I don't understand why you say you "waste time clicking on the toolbar" to see the layer you are on. The Toolbox toolbar gives a visual indicator of the active layer without clicking: a stylized map pin for the Map Layer, a cube for the Objects & Tokens Layer, an eye for the GM Info Layer, and a flame for the Dynamic Lighting Layer.
Rabulias said: I don't understand why you say you "waste time clicking on the toolbar" to see the layer you are on. The Toolbox toolbar gives a visual indicator of the active layer without clicking: a stylized map pin for the Map Layer, a cube for the Objects & Tokens Layer, an eye for the GM Info Layer, and a flame for the Dynamic Lighting Layer. It's really not that visually apparent, though.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .