Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

BECMI Skill checks with drop down menu

Edited 1607510775
I know that from the title, this post might look a lot like this one , but I promise you it will not. Playing BECMI D&D with Allen Maher's character sheet I'm in need to have my PC's have their skills checked, the proper way. Unfortunately that character sheet doesn't help it, since it basically does not consider how many (if any) Slots are assigned to each skill when considering the Target Value the roll must be lower or equal to. What I am then looking for is a macro preparing a drop down list with all the owned skills (Name), building up the Target Value from Stat + Slots. Ex. Intimidation skill check. Target Value = Stat (Strenght = 16) + #Slots (2) = 18) or @{skill_target} = @{skill_stat}+@{skill_slots_used} I had thought to something like a sort of array made with the raws that are present in the list (four, in the example), that collects the values in the Name , Stat and Slots fields and calculate a Target Value (as above) for each of them. But I don't know if it's possible, and if positive, how to do that. I don't know how to step on this matter.
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I'm not familiar with the BECMI rules, but the formula the roll is currently using for @{skilltarget} is this: @{skill_stat}+@{skill_slots_used}-1 So it is taking skill slots into account, but only after the first one. Is this how it is supposed to work?
Oosh said: I'm not familiar with the BECMI rules, but the formula the roll is currently using for @{skilltarget} is this: @{skill_stat}+@{skill_slots_used}-1 So it is taking skill slots into account, but only after the first one. Is this how it is supposed to work? Nope, indeed it should have been without the -1. But the status of it is flagged on disabled, so it's not even been taken into account. Actually what the button on the sheet does, is simply rolling a d20 and using the referring ability stat as the target, completely bypassing the slots' column at all.

Edited 1607541450
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
It looks like it's taken into account to me - here's 15 wisdom and 11 slots giving 25. Exactly as @{spelltarget} says, 15+11-1. The easiest way to fix the missing 1 is going to be to give the players an extra slot per skill, so someone using 3 slots in a skill gets a free one to bump it up to 4. The alternative is making a fairly involved chat menu to roll from instead of the sheet - it's complicated by the fact that it's a repeating row with an unknown number of rows, in an unknown order, with freetyped labels. Something like this: &{template:5eDefault} {{ability=1}} {{title=Skill Menu}} {{subheader=@{selected|character_name}}} {{freetext=[@{selected|repeating_generalskills_$0_skillname}](~macros|skill0" style="font-size: 16px; text-align:center; display:none; display:block@{selected|repeating_generalskills_$0_skillname|max}) [@{selected|repeating_generalskills_$1_skillname}](~macros|skill1" style="font-size: 16px; text-align:center; display:none; display:block@{selected|repeating_generalskills_$1_skillname|max}) [@{selected|repeating_generalskills_$2_skillname}](~macros|skill2" style="font-size: 16px; text-align:center; display:none; display:block@{selected|repeating_generalskills_$2_skillname|max}) [@{selected|repeating_generalskills_$3_skillname}](~macros|skill3" style="font-size: 16px; text-align:center; display:none; display:block@{selected|repeating_generalskills_$3_skillname|max}) [@{selected|repeating_generalskills_$4_skillname}](~macros|skill4" style="font-size: 16px; text-align:center; display:none; display:block@{selected|repeating_generalskills_$4_skillname|max}) [@{selected|repeating_generalskills_$5_skillname}](~macros|skill5" style="font-size: 16px; text-align:center; display:none; display:block@{selected|repeating_generalskills_$5_skillname|max}) [@{selected|repeating_generalskills_$6_skillname}](~macros|skill6" style="font-size: 16px; text-align:center; display:none; display:block@{selected|repeating_generalskills_$6_skillname|max}) [@{selected|repeating_generalskills_$7_skillname}](~macros|skill7" style="font-size: 16px; text-align:center; display:none; display:block@{selected|repeating_generalskills_$7_skillname|max}) }} will create a dynamic menu. But you then need to create a macro character sheet , and for each row you'll need to create an Ability macro. Row 0 would be called skill0 and look like this: &{template:5eDefault} {{ability=1}} {{title= @{selected|repeating_generalskills_$0_skillname} }} {{subheader=@{selected|character_name} Skill Check}} {{freetext=Must roll [[@{selected|repeating_generalskills_$0_skill_slots_used} + @{selected|repeating_generalskills_$0_skill_stat}]] or less}} {{rollname=Result}} {{roll=[[1d20cs<1cf>20]]}} then skill1, skill2 and so on until there's enough to cover the max possible number of skills. It's a lot of work for not much reward. The other way to do it would be a generic macro where the players manually enter the details: Skill target: [[?{Which stat?|Strength,@{selected|strength}|Dexterity,@{ selected| dexterity}|Wisdom,@{ selected| wisdom}} + ?{Slots used|1|2|3|4|5}]]
Oosh said: It looks like it's taken into account to me - here's 15 wisdom and 11 slots giving 25. Exactly as @{spelltarget} says, 15+11-1. Yes, correct. I didn't notice because we're all low levels PC and there are only 1-slot skills so far, that's why I thought everything was disabled. Anyway I cannot explain that -1 on the formula, it's the one messing everything up :( In the end I think we're going for the easiest solution. Thanks for the details.