Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic Lighting on different height levels - "unphysical" behavior or map bug in Rime of the Frost Maiden?

Dear all! There is an issue we realized when playing "Rime of the Frost Maiden". The group was standing right in front of the entrances to the cauldron caves, c.f. the picture I attached below. Some players have night vision and others a light-source and therefore emit light as you can see in the picture. Everything works out fine (in a 2D world) as walls make shadows and restrict the line of sight. But then there are entrances to the cave that are 20 or 30 ft. above the players/tokens. These tunnels also become visible. This is not realistic, as the characters are not 20 or 30 ft. tall ;-)  I assume, that the dynamic lightning feature is purely two dimensional and effects due to height differences in the third dimension cannot be taken into account. Is this correct or is the map not set up correctly? As lazy as I am I did not read through all the documentation but preferred to post our question here. Thanks in advance for every answer.  Best regards Ulf. 
Dynamic Lightning is sadly only two dimensional, so you have to find a different solution, sorry.
Ok, I feared as much, thank you.
I simply added extra lines on the dynamic lighting layer in order to block off vision down the cave entrances at height until they'd climbed up there - at which point I simply delete the line I'd added on that entrance.
Ok, thanks for the tip, I will try that. I am not sure how to draw an element on the map that restricts sight, but I should be able to figure that out :-) 
Farling said: I simply added extra lines on the dynamic lighting layer in order to block off vision down the cave entrances at height until they'd climbed up there - at which point I simply delete the line I'd added on that entrance. Ok, thanks again, I did that and it works fine.