Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Video Series on setting up D&D 5E using a Pro account with APIs

Edited 1613438829
There's been a bit of talk about doing this, but I haven't seen any yet, so I started! Here is the link to the youtube channel I set up &amp; I've posted the first 2 videos in what will be a dozen or more. Appreciate feedback, criticisms, suggestions, etc. The setup I am doing the series on is: Roll20 Pro account D&amp;D 5E D&amp;D 5E by Roll20 Character Sheet Basing it around the module "Escape from Duergar Mine" Custom Token Markers APIs HTML Builder, 5th Edition OGL by Roll20 Companion, Welcome Package, TokenMod &amp; Supernotes <a href="https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIAPFeXDRor4b7VQ0xDEGjsGiLyERnj5n" rel="nofollow">https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIAPFeXDRor4b7VQ0xDEGjsGiLyERnj5n</a>

Edited 1610871292
OK. just posted video number 11. The list so far is: Video 00 - Intro Video 01 - Creating a game Video 02 - Deep Dive on creating a game Video 03 - Changing Defaults Video 04 - The Compendium Video 05 - Default Sheet Settings Video 06 - Token Set Video 07 - Dynamic Lighting Conversion Video 08 - Setting up an image for the game Video 09 - Creating an X-Card pack Video 10 - Loading your first API - HTML Builder Planned additional videos are: Video 11 - Using a Dummy Account &amp; the "Stupid Tricks" forum post Video 12 - The Welcome package Script Video 13 - 5th Edition OGL by Roll20 Companion Script Video 14 - TokenMod Script Video 15 - Supernotes Script Video 16 - Setting up DM Menus Video 17 - Setting up Player Menus Video 18 - Setting up Room Descriptions Video 19 - Checklist before you start a campaign Can anyone thing of anything I have left out? I will be covering these API scripts in the coming videos, but otherwise this is all i can think that someone needs to run a fairly automated D&amp;D on Roll20.&nbsp;
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Maybe GroupInitiative?&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
ChatSetAttr is like the companion for TokenMod, doing for character sheets what the other does for tokens. Token Action Maker is also very simple but incredibly handy for automation.
As stretch videos if you're looking for ideas: Using a Dummy Account to see player views Include explanation of Ctrl-L/Cmd-L limitation APIs: Bump Aura/Tint HealthColors Message of the Day GroupCheck &amp; Apply Damage Door Knocker TokenAction Adding/Using Custom Status Markers Stupid Tricks Invisible Tokens (auras, shared party vision, mood lighting, etc.) Chat Menus 'Language' character sheets Macro 'mule' character sheets HTML Style injection in chat messages Landing Pages
Thanks all, that's the sort of stuff I am after. I'm an old-hand at D&amp;D, but still got my learners plates on for Roll20. Just wanted to do a series to assist people like me in the transition to Roll20.
Kai
Plus
Sheet Author
May I suggest the&nbsp; Combat Master script ?

Edited 1610871366
Thanks, I've already changed the episode order because of your suggestions, realised I hadn't covered creating a dummy account before starting on the macros that will need testing.
Going to be a newbie here and say "What Ctrl L limitation?" Jarren K. said: As stretch videos if you're looking for ideas: Using a Dummy Account to see player views Include explanation of Ctrl-L/Cmd-L limitation APIs: Bump Aura/Tint HealthColors Message of the Day GroupCheck &amp; Apply Damage Door Knocker TokenAction Adding/Using Custom Status Markers Stupid Tricks Invisible Tokens (auras, shared party vision, mood lighting, etc.) Chat Menus 'Language' character sheets Macro 'mule' character sheets HTML Style injection in chat messages Landing Pages
Grat (Evil DM) said: Going to be a newbie here and say "What Ctrl L limitation?" Ctrl-L is only usable by the DM to check the Line of Sight of a specific token.&nbsp; It does not show a player's view . It is used primarily for checking to see if dynamic lighting lines (walls) have been set up correctly, because when the DM uses it, they will still see anything that is visible on the GM layer from that token's point of view.&nbsp; However, a player using that token will not see anything on the GM layer.&nbsp; There are semi-frequent posts from GMs who use Ctrl-L and ask about how to fix it so that players can't see things on the GM layer... but those things aren't visible to players. They are just assuming the Ctrl-L stands for 'Look through this token's view as a player'. This directly ties into setting up a Dummy Account (as DM) so that you can get a true view of what players see, and it's much better than simply using the 'Re-Join as Player', because you can be logged in as a player at the same time as staying in as a GM to see changes in real time. keithcurtis lays out all the benefits quite nicely in the Stupid Tricks post I linked to above (testing macros, resetting the game URL, etc.) along with a nice Gmail trick.&nbsp;
OK, wan't sure what you meant. That's fine. Yes. I've already included that tip about gmail accounts in the script for the next episode. That's something that I had never noticed. Thanks, again.
Jordan C.
Pro
API Scripter
Love the idea and think a lot of people will find it useful! I have found rollable tables to be a huge asset when scripts get involved so these a invaluable to me: Rolling Tables - Recursive Tables Creating/Importing Tables - Table Export/Import (plus Excel/Google Sheets that do formatting for it) - Roll Handout Tables (could still be improved, but works well with compendium purchases for 5e) Also Map Change &nbsp;is pretty great in my experience.
Been busy with other stuff this month, should be getting back to this during this week.
OK, completed the intro plus the first 12 videos now. <a href="https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIAPFeXDRor6t8X1Ci6LRIkyHgnKTQgJ5" rel="nofollow">https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIAPFeXDRor6t8X1Ci6LRIkyHgnKTQgJ5</a> Video 00 - Intro Video 01 - Creating a game Video 02 - Deep Dive on creating a game Viceo 03 - Changing Defaults Video 04 - The Compendium Video 05 - Default Sheet Settings Video 06 - Token Set Video 07 - Dynamic Lighting Conversion Video 08 - Setting up an image for the game Video 09 - Creating an X-Card pack Video 10 - Loading your first API - HTML Builder Video 11 - Creating a test User Video 12 - The Welcome package Script

Edited 1613439280
Well a couple more videos done: Video 00 - Intro Video 01 - Creating a game Video 02 - Deep Dive on creating a game Viceo 03 - Changing Defaults Video 04 - The Compendium Video 05 - Default Sheet Settings Video 06 - Token Set Video 07 - Dynamic Lighting Conversion Video 08 - Setting up an image for the game Video 09 - Creating an X-Card pack Video 10 - Loading your first API - HTML Builder Video 11 - Creating a test User Video 12 - The Welcome package Script Video 13 - Loading 5th Edition OGL by Roll20 Companion Script, TokenMod Script, Supernotes Script Video 14 - Setting up GM Macro Menus Part 1 (5th Edition OGL by Roll20 Companion Script) Still to come: Setting up GM Macro Menus Part 2 (TokenMod) Setting up GM Macro Menus Part 3 (SuperNotes) Setting up Player Menus Setting up Room Descriptions Checklist before you start a campaign GroupInitiative ChatSetAttr Rolling Tables Look at these to see which I want to intergrate: Bump Aura/Tint HealthColors Message of the Day GroupCheck &amp; Apply Damage Door Knocker TokenAction Combat Master Script Go through Stupid Tricks
Had my YouTube Play List get corrupted - had to delete &amp; recreate so the new link is: <a href="https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIAPFeXDRor4b7VQ0xDEGjsGiLyERnj5n" rel="nofollow">https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIAPFeXDRor4b7VQ0xDEGjsGiLyERnj5n</a>