Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Advice on switching to top-down tokens

More and more, I'm starting to want to use top-down monster tokens, rather than the monotonously red-bordered tokens that come standard in, say, the 5e Monster Manual. However, to do that, I have to resize the top-down token to twice its actual size in order to make it take up the right amount of space (otherwise it looks pitiful small crowded into one square). But when that monster is at twice its normal size, it snaps to grid in the wrong way (not neatly within a five-foot square), making it impossible for me to move it unless I'm holding down ALT at all times (and thereby stopping me from using waypoints), which is kind of a pain. To get around the snap to grid issue, I was thinking about just making all my monster tokens drawings, but then I started wondering if that would mess up aspects of combat I hadn't considered. So I am just looking for any and all advice on using top-down tokens for monsters in my game, particularly with tokens that are drawings. Any tips, things to watch out for, behaviors that differ from non-drawing tokens? Or is the whole drawing thing a bad idea?
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Drawings don't have the bubbles pop up when you select a token, though they still show the bars.  Have you considered just abandoning the grid? Or perhaps having a grid with no snapping?  (I have a script that will draw a grid on a page, if you need one)
The Aaron said: Drawings don't have the bubbles pop up when you select a token, though they still show the bars.  Have you considered just abandoning the grid? Or perhaps having a grid with no snapping?  (I have a script that will draw a grid on a page, if you need one) Grid with no snapping, eh? Hmmmmmmm. Yes, I will look into this, and if I need that script, I'll ping you. Thanks!
Maybe you've already done this, but I would tinker around with the Grid Scale options in Page Settings (e.g. set 1, 5 ft. square as equal to 140px), to see if something works. By changing the scale, any token dropped on the TT will adjust its size. Also, it's worth pointing out that there are tons of top-down monster token images in the "freebie" Library, which you could use to explore your options.
Chris said: Maybe you've already done this, but I would tinker around with the Grid Scale options in Page Settings (e.g. set 1, 5 ft. square as equal to 140px), to see if something works. By changing the scale, any token dropped on the TT will adjust its size. Also, it's worth pointing out that there are tons of top-down monster token images in the "freebie" Library, which you could use to explore your options. Thanks! I hadn't tinkered with grid scale, so I'll look at that. I have definitely looked at the free top-down tokens, and will probably use some of them going forward.