Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Token Pack Changed items?

I purchased a token pack a few months ago for some very specific animated tokens, and about two weeks ago I log in to discover the contents of the pack are changed, and the items I purchased the pack for are in a different pack the author offers. I'm not here looking to put the pack in question on blast, but I'm curious, is that a thing? Can authors just move their properties from one pack to another and it change what we have purchased? Cause like... That's shady and I'd be shy of purchasing tokens at that point from the marketplace. So I just want to know WHY or HOW so I can actually be an informed customer, ya know?
Gold
Forum Champion
If you say the name/link of the token pack, others can check theirs too. Yes there has been acknowledgement from Roll20 that Art Pack authors ARE able to change their packs in some degree, I would think there would be oversight and approval process from the Roll20 Team to make sure that users who purchased it don't lose assets you already paid for. The previous complaint about this involved the Tokens/Art being recolored (made brighter neon by Arcknight), not removed or gone missing though!
Tiffany M.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
I truly have no idea how anyone can do this. The back end does not have a means for someone to add or remove anything to a pack after it's been put for sale. We DON'T have a way of just moving things back and forth. As someone who has access to the marketplace for selling items, I don't have a clue how this could have happened to you. It is super shady.

Edited 1610429573
Erik S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Tiffany M. said: I truly have no idea how anyone can do this. The back end does not have a means for someone to add or remove anything to a pack after it's been put for sale. We DON'T have a way of just moving things back and forth. As someone who has access to the marketplace for selling items, I don't have a clue how this could have happened to you. It is super shady. It can be done. I had to replace a few tokens in my most recent pack and module. The asset pack contained the artwork of my campaign module, but I had to change a few of the creatures in the module. I did it relatively soon after initial release so there was hopefully little impact on any customers at the time. (I had used some not SRD safe creatures as placeholders and forgot to switch them out before releasing) IIRC, it required first taking the pack down(which required contacting a Roll20 staff), and I can't remember clearly but I think once it was back in the draft or pending tab I could edit it and remove or upload files. At that point the module and pack needed to be re-submitted for approval. So there should be a review process between the change and update AFAIK. Of course we probably won't know the reason for the change in the pack the OP mentioned, short of directly asking the pack maker, being that review process is between the pack owner and Roll20 staff. (Just to be clear, I agree that what the OP is reporting is scummy and super shady, Im just laying out the process for my personal experience)
Ok, well, I appreciate everyone's responses. It was on Wild Magic Surge's Animated Fire Tokens, which I purchased for candles and torches and bonfires that flicker...that I still have on a couple maps... but now they're in the Assorted Tokens pack by the same creator and I've no interest in the pack I now have. Regardless, I just wanted to understand the process as I've no idea what the Marketplace struggle is like. Thank you for the answers!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I've made corrections once a pack was up. It had an egregious error for which I apologized and notified in-forum. It required help from the Marketing Team, though. It's not something a creator can just do , AFAIK.

Edited 1610520169
Tiffany M.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
keithcurtis said: It's not something a creator can just do , AFAIK. Yes, this is exactly what I'm trying to say. A creator cannot sneakily pull this without Roll20 approving every step of the way. I hope the OP gets their candles and torches.