Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Macros that break chat

Hello, I wanted to ask, if a player creates some sort of macro or whatever that they then run and it breaks chat, is there a way to fix that without having to clear out the chat and archive? That's been the only way I've been able to fix it, but our groups prefer to keep the chat archive incase we need to refer to a roll or something later on.
Other than asking the player to make their own custom game and test their macros there before implementing them into a live game.

Edited 1610568274
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
I haven't heard of a single macro that reliably corrupts the chat archive. It can get corrupted on its own, seemingly randomly. That being said, clearing the archive is going to be required to fix it.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I do remember someone posting such a macro a couple of years ago. I don't think it was a divide by zero, but it was something along those lines.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
There was evidence that incorrectly formatted templates could break the chat but haven't confirmed the exact recipe nor whether it would be one entered into the chat or from incorrect syntax on a character sheet's roll button. Ridiculous, exponential, dice rolling can likely break it also but most things should be protected against using common sense lol. If your chat log is important AND subsequently gets corrupted you can also go into the chat archive (which seems able to withstand corruption) and save it first, then clear it to expel the corruption. Not ideal but at least if it does happen to you, you have a chance to not lose everything ;)