Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFP] Ars Magica, 7PM CET, Wednesdays, voice.

System – Ars Magica 5th Edition. Time and day – 19:00 CET, Wednesdays, weekly. Method of Play – Roll20 for dice and notes + Discord for voice and discussion when not playing + GDrive or something else for bookkeeping. Contact Info – DM this account or start a thread in the listing. Additional Notes:   Welcome to Mythic Europe. It is the beginning of the XIII century, and you are magi of the Order of Hermes, a society of magicians that pursue their magical arts living in locations called covenants. The setting, Mythic Europe, is primarily based on Europe of the 12th and 13th centuries; the geography is the same, and the mundane (non-magical) politics are practically identical. However, in Ars Magica the "Medieval  paradigm " - the way the world was described or understood in that time period - is the literal truth. In this setting, Faeries actually do steal lost children, Demons cause disease and crop failure, Angels help the righteous, and dragons and other Magical creatures are real (though perhaps forgotten or hidden).   Every player is supposed to have 2 characters, a Magus and a Companion (who is not a member of the Order, but still can possess some minor magical abilities). The game group also has a pool of shared minor characters called Grogs (who are often described as peasant redshirts) whom any player can pick up if they need someone to play them in any given moment.   The game is played in “seasons”. The GM might set an adventure in any given season, or might just say that everything is as usual, and skip to the next one. When not adventuring, the magi do research or study in their labs, train apprentices, or devote time to some other pursuit (maybe your magus has a hobby). The bulk of game mechanics related character advancement happens in these “skipped” seasons.   The default assumption is that everyone runs a session or two from time to time while their characters are preoccupied with something not related to the plot or are absent. That allows the GM to also run a magus and have an opportunity to play from time to time. But at the start I am willing to be the main GM until players get comfortable with the setting and rules.   Players new to Ars Magica are welcome. I have experience launching a pretty successful chronicle (4 years at this point, and still going) in which all players were new to the game. 
I'm possibly interested. The time is a little early for me, but we can discuss that later. What do you have in mind regarding tribunal, and what source material would you exclude? I'm a bit of a veteran of the setting and system, and have found that the more you allow, the less story manifests - it practically succumbs under the weight of mechanics.
Hello, Pat. The group that is forming consists mostly from players new to AM. I will keep you in mind, but will give preference to newer players so that everyone is on the same page.  As for covenant, tribunal and saga type, it will be discussed when the group forms. But I am partial to Spring covenants. 
Vladimir R. said: Hello, Pat. The group that is forming consists mostly from players new to AM. I will keep you in mind, but will give preference to newer players so that everyone is on the same page.  As for covenant, tribunal and saga type, it will be discussed when the group forms. But I am partial to Spring covenants.  Fair enough! We can see where things go on your end, and if you feel you'd like someone along who combines wide-eyed wonder with a bit of an understanding as to what's up, I'll be here to have a chat. :)
I'm extremely interested in playing ars magica. I read the core rulebook a year or two ago, but could never find a group. Please let me know if there are still open slots left.