Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Updating an official custom character sheet submitted to roll20 later on?

Edited 1610499130
Daniel S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Hi everyone. I'm working on getting my custom character sheet and game to line up with the code guidelines for Roll20 so I can be ready for the first pull request. My question might have a simple answer. I read through the Github guidelines and just want to make sure I'm understanding this process right: Once I submit a sheet with a pull request and theoretically it's accepted by Roll20 as an official sheet, can I then make changes to the code, and just submit another pull request later when I'm ready to update it? I'd like to start letting other people playtest with the sheet but would like to be able to update it later and continually improve it. Is there a realistic frequency or etiquette for how frequently to submit another pull request once changes or improvements have been made? And can the sheet keep the same name? Pardon if this comes off as a total noob question or if the answers to this are already in the Github guide. I found this but not exactly sure what that means in regards to future revisions. " Making changes to your PULL Request If you create a pull request and then commit & push some additional changes to your repository/branch before the Pull Request is merged, those new changes will be automatically be updated/included in the original pull request; there is no need to make a second pull." Thanks!
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Daniel S. said: Once I submit a sheet with a pull request and theoretically it's accepted by Roll20 as an official sheet, can I then make changes to the code, and just submit another pull request later when I'm ready to update it? I'd like to start letting other people playtest with the sheet but would like to be able to update it later and continually improve it. Yes, you can do this. It's normal. Is there a realistic frequency or etiquette for how frequently to submit another pull request once changes or improvements have been made? And can the sheet keep the same name? There's no set frequency. Actively maintained sheets used to get weekly updates, but that's only because any the roll20 staff transferred changes from the github to roll20 servers once per week. They have a more dynamic system for that now, I think. Update as often or as infrequently as you can manage. Pardon if this comes off as a total noob question or if the answers to this are already in the Github guide. I found this but not exactly sure what that means in regards to future revisions. " Making changes to your PULL Request If you create a pull request and then commit & push some additional changes to your repository/branch before the Pull Request is merged, those new changes will be automatically be updated/included in the original pull request; there is no need to make a second pull." Thanks! To explain thsi: Understand that the github and the roll20 server are different collections of files. When you post changes to github you have wait for those changes to be transferred into roll20, to see them in game. If you update the github files, and then update them again, before the changes have been transferred to roll20, it will work fine. Basically the above messages means you dont have to wait for changes to be processed into roll20 before making a new set of changes.  In other words: make your updates as often or as infrequently as you want, and let githiub keep everything organised
Daniel S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Great, this helps. Thank you! Might still get stuck later but good to know that's common practice.