Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

DnD 5e Char sheet preview

Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
All, I have been working on a new sheet for the upcoming release Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition. The sheet is essentially an updated and reworked version of the Next playtest sheet that is available right now on Roll20. The mentors have already had a look through the sheet for a few weeks and I've made some changes based on feedback and testing and it's pretty much ready for more people to have a look over it now so i'd appreciate any feedback/comments you may have. Details of how to join the test campaign are at the bottom of the post but please read the list below first - I have begun to make changes to the sheet to account for the updated 5e ruleset but as this has not yet been fully released I am only making changes that I am 100% sure wont have to be redone again. As such you should expect that a few things may not yet match up with any of the preview articles and leaks that WOTC have been sending out. The sheet will of course be fully updated as and when the new rules come out but for right now you should expect to see some mechanics in it that are based on the last playtest packet rules, and not the 5e release rules. The most notable thing that hasnt been updated yet is the proficiency bonus . We all know it starts at +2 in the full rules and scales up to +6....but we dont know where the breakpoints are yet. As such the proficiency bonus right now on the 5e sheet follows the rules in the last public playtest rules and scales from +1 to +6 accordingly. This will be updated when the rules are released but for now this is likely to be the thing that will throw up an unexpected modifier or result from what you expected to get. The class section of the sheet provides some class specific facilities based on whether you have levels in a class or not. In order to make sure the sheet is legal and all above board it can only calculate how much of a resource a class may have (by using your class levels) and not auto display the options you have for using that resource. As an example, It will give clerics an autocalculated maximum uses of the Channel Divinity class feature...but it wont list the options you might have for that. another example is that it will autocalculate both the unarmoured armour class and the max number of Ki points someone with monk levels will have...but it wont provide you with a list of options for spending those Ki points. Again those are all calculated based on your monk level. So in summary, the sheet does not auto level you in the slightest but it does provide some useful facilities that are based on what levels you have on a per class basis...how you use them/fill these in is up to you! You toggle the visibility of the class specific sections using the buttons in the class section...some classes have nothing here. (but might once we see the full rules!) The "Help" section of the sheet is currently completely empty and pending the rest of the sheet being complete and updated with the final ruleset Unlike the playest "Next" version of the sheet, this one does not prompt you for Misc Modifiers on every roll. It instead provides space on the sheet for modifiers to be added including an "Active bonuses/Penalties" area in the Core section of the sheet. Think of this as an easy way to add things like the buff from a Bless spell to all the appropriate rolls on the sheet without having to continually re-enter it. Finally, the sheet tries to do a lot of the hard work for you by autocalculating various fields. The vast majority of these are based of your class levels and these are set in the class section...so if you see results you dont expect please check that these are set correctly first. So if you are interested and have some free time i'd appreciate some feedback on how the new sheet is shaping up. You can join the campaign by clicking on this link - <a href="https://app.roll20.net/join/434711/9BMznw" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/join/434711/9BMznw</a> In the campaign you should find 5 blank test characters that people can use and abuse as they like as well as a fighter, cleric and wizard character sheet that is essentially a recreation of the recently previewed ones from the 5e starter set. There is also a level 20 mage as well should you want to see how a higher level character looks...though I havent updated it since the last version of the sheet went on this test campaign so there may be areas of it that are not fully populated...particularly in the Skills and Background sections. Other than this the campaign is empty (no maps/tokens/anything)
I'm having an issue with my modified version of your character sheet, and I can't check your latest version out now. I did find it to be a bit too much. I merged the spell book / attack sections into the 9 page list, so players can use them fairly easily and tie in token actions through easy ability %{CharacterName|AttackRoll1} use. On top of that, I tried to duplicate the inventory section and modify it slightly and unfortunately it won't let me save. I hate to waste your time as you are working so hard on this, however maybe you could grab it back to add to your character sheet as WoTC has mentioned factions being in 5e. I did also add a reputation / order score tracker which is more of a DM to player feedback in terms of a world view on their character, and obviously wouldn't be worthwhile for the general public but for a long term 1-20 level campaign such as mine I want the players to get some feedback. (this is a very small section)
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
I'll see if i can find some time to look at your sheet and respond in the appropriate thread. You should note though that there were significant changes made to the 5e sheet to alleviate some performance issues with it so if your work is based on an earlier version you may want to update. Also note that there are some sections on the 5e sheet that are auto generated HTML using a script and i dont recommend editing them directly unless you have a lot of time on your hands. These sections are clearly marked with inline HTML comments As for the reputation/faction tracking - thats planned to be a big part of the organised play program as I understand it and whilst I can see something like that might be good to work in to a game I dont believe i'll be adding support for it to the sheet as it falls a little outside of what the standard ruleset actually is. There are plenty of options to just store a note somewhere on the sheet indicating this detail too should you want to.
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
Updated the sheet to provide checkboxes to indicate whether armour (or any AC providing effect/item/entry) is active/worn/equipped or not
I just wanted to say great work, it looks amazing. I haven't had the chance to put it through a test but I love the layout.

Edited 1404322173
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
Thanks for the feedback received thus far. I'd appreciate some feedback, if you have time, on some specific issues/comments/suggestions that have been made and are listed below. In each case I'll list the suggestion and intent behind how the sheet would handle those situations right now and i'm looking for feedback on what sounds better/more useful (current or suggested change) and whether the suggested change should be implemented. Separate "Base" stat score and "Current" - Suggestion is to add another field for some key stats, like the six core stats for example, so that a "Base" score can be tracked and a "modified" score can also be tracked that takes into account things like (de)buffs/effects/equipment/etc... that a character may be affected by. Right now the sheet would handle this by players simply making notes in their inventory or other appropriate area and modifying the single stat...the proposal is that the sheet should list additional stats so as to maintain a "base" score separately. A couple of examples :- Character equips gauntlets of ogre power that sets their STR score to 19 Character is hit by an attack that curses them and reduces their Max HP by the damage dealt for 24hrs Various spellbook changes - Suggestions to add an additional area so that players and DM can quickly note down which spells they have prepared for a given day, change the spellbook to primarily deal with spells that make best use of macros (like attack rolls and so on) and move spells that are more text/effect based elsewhere, go back to a large static spellbook section, etc.... The spellbook section on the sheet is currently intended to be the definitive and fully featured spell section providing support for all types of spells in a single location so players dont have to duplicate effort by noting things down twice. The intent is that players who want to use all the features of it can do so, and those that just want to note the spell names can also do so. Each spell row currently provides suport for indicating whether the spell is prepared or not. Critical damage/healing entry - Suggestion is to provide a way of listing/entering the critical damage a weapon/spell will do alongside it's base damage. The sheet does not currently implement any critical damage or healing calculations Global Healing Bonus - Suggestion is to add a section to record a global healing bonus in much the same way as the current attack/damage bonuses can be added in the Core Stats section of the sheet....this would help support the Life specced cleric for example. The sheet currently does not support heal bonus. Faction Support - The organised play program for 5e will be tracking faction/reputation gains/losses and it has been suggested this be added to the sheet somehow. It seems that the optional 3rd page of the character sheet in the starter set will also provide space for this as the faction system can be used for home play too should you choose...the OP sheet I have seen though largely leaves this as a large empty area rather than anything particularly structured. The sheet does not support faction tracking specifically but there is room in several notes fields as well as the suggestion that the characters Bio could be used for data such as this which can often require a larger free-form data field. ----- For clarity, my gut feeling on all of the above suggestions, with the exception of the crit damage/heal one and the global heal bonus, is that the sheet handles those situations/examples fine the way it is right now but the idea behind posting this is to find out if whether thats the consensus or whether i'm the odd one out! I actually have an idea to improve the output for a lot of dice rolls on the sheet (since the tooltips are less useful with all the hidden calcs exposed in them) and that might at least allow crit damage to be easily manually calculated rather than it having to be another field added to the sheet....tho that remains to be seen....... Thanks to anyone that takes the time to throw in their thoughts :) Edit : Actually crit damage/healing looks as though it will be easy since it seems, from watching the preview stream of the starter set adventure WoTC did the other day that the crit rule appears to be simply double your damage roll now...if thats what it turns out to be then there should be no need to add an additional field for recording crit damage
This new sheet looks good. Very well laid out. Are you adding the spot for Inspiration on it?
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
Yes I will add inspiration somewhere along with the other updates the sheet will need for the full rules release :)
Just so you know the Starter Set was released at some Wizards Play Network stores. However, more importantly, Basic D&D is now available as a free pdf on WoTC's site.
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
Am already working on updating the sheet :) Dont have the starter set in the Uk till the general release though i'm afraid but the basic pdf should be fine :)
Oh perfect! And yeah from what I've seen looking at both it should be all good! Excited to see this sheet!
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
Some very quick and minor updates (as I need to get some sleep i'm afraid) - Proficiency bonus now uses the progression as listed in the basic D&D pdf Added inspiration tracking to the core stats section as a simple toggle Added unskilled Con Check to the skills page Thrown (finesse) option added for ranged weapon type Speed penalty for heavy armour updated to be -10ft instead of -5ft (though this is for reference only...it doesnt tie in to any field or autocalc) Updated spellbook save DC select field so the custom option wasnt first
This is looking really good! I'm launching my 5e Starter Set campaign on Monday, is there a way for us to use this sheet? I'm a Roll20 Noob, sadly.
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
@John P - Because you are a mentor, you can use the custom character sheet option in your campaign. You can then cut and paste the HMTL and CSS files into the appropriate sections on the campaign settings page. You'll find the latest version of both of those files here - <a href="https://github.com/Actoba/roll20-character-sheets/" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Actoba/roll20-character-sheets/</a>... Use the pre release versions at your own risk! I make no guarantee that the version you use will be fully functional or retain 100% compatibility with the future release version ----- In other news, first the good part, I managed to get a hold of the Starter set today thanks to my FLGS being awesome and keeping one of the 6 copies they got for me! The bad news is I have a pretty jam packed next couple of weeks starting from tomorrow that will make it very difficult to get much work done on sheet updates. I'll keep getting as much done as possible but as I'll be doing some work that I actually get paid for that will understandably have to take priority....i'll still be around and able to respond to forums every so often but less likely to have much time to do any major updates from Monday onwards. I'd particularly like some feedback on the class section - I am pretty much planning to remove the class specific section/buttons as it's waaay too much work to support/maintain as well as being a bit of a minefield with regards to what can and cant be provided legally.....especially as we dont yet have any licensing details yet for 5e either. What that means is I'll probably remove the individual recording of class specific levels and allow people to just record a single overall level value again in the core stats section. The class section will then just provide fields to take notes on what your class features are and how many of each resource you have and have used. Thoughts?
So the sheet looks like some serious awesomeness! Understanding that there is still much work just to get all of the recently released rules worked in, I'd like to add something to the list - reset buttons representing short and long rests. These would bring all the appropriate "current" levels up to the max levels as appropriate. Is this doable?
Sam M.
Pro
Sheet Author
That would require an api command. It can be put in but it'd only usable by games with API access.
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
@ Edwin - As Sam mentioned this isnt possible without APi support (which i'm trying to avoid so the sheet can be used by all users...tho i may create a 2nd version that uses API features at a later date for use in campaigns with Mentor level DM's) ---- A couple of very quick updates - Added a misc mod field to the "unskilled" ability checks on the Skills tab Removed the class specific buttons and associated details from the Class section. This has been replaced with additional free text space so class specific features can be tracked manually on the sheet. There is still space to setup macro's for your class features, if you so desire, on the sheet. The class section change was done because.... It was difficutl to produce good and useful tools with it due to restrictions regarding auto levelling and the other potential legal issues It became clear that building and maintaining it would be tricky and time consuming given the breadth of class options that will be available once the PHB is released My free time is about to reduce significantly and I didnt see a way of getting a usable solution completed anytime soon...and nor did I think that updating it for future class options that may become available would be much fun either...so better to go with a more generic solution that people can use as they see fit. Thats it for now. As mentioned i'm less likely to be around a whole lot the next couple of weeks at least though i'll be trying to get a few updates as and when I can. I'd very much appreciate reports of anywhere the sheet doesnt follow the up to date rules (from either the basic DnD PDF or the starter set rulebook) and i'll try my best to prioritise those updates so the sheet can get to a state where it could be sent to the Roll20 guys and added to the available ones for anyone to use on their campaigns. of course i'm happy to hear any other feedback/suggestions/comments too....but i'm likely to prioritise updates relating to rules so we can get to a release state for now.
Keith
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I really like this sheet. It seems to be working great. I did notice that the word Armour was misspelled as Arnour in the proficiency section. Would it also be possible to change all the 'Mage' entries to say 'Wizard' like the Basic Document indicates? Again, great work on the sheet.
Not absolutely necessary, but a crit button would actually be useful, as crits only double the damage die 9or dice), but not the modifiers. So you can't just add two clicks of the damage macro.
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
@Keith - You are looking at the DnD Next playtest sheet and not the new 5e one. I have fixed the typo on it so it should be updated on roll20 whenever Riley next processes the update requests. Note though that this sheet wont be updated anymore....it is, and will remain, designed for use with the last publicly available playtest packet (which is why it refers to Mage instead of Wizard) and NOT the full 5e release. @Keith S - I plan to add crit damage to the damage output where appropriate but this requires a little bit of work to separate the dice roll portion of the damage completely from any modifiers. It's likely that there wont be an additional "crit" button though....just enhanced output from the usual damage macro button that lists the additional damage if the attack was a crit....i'll be trying to find time for this update later this week
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
Very quick updates (available in the public campaign and in the repo) - Rogue hit die changed to a d8 Changes to weapon and spell damage rolls to display additional damage dealt if the attack was a crit. This meant the inputs for the wepon/spell damage had to be changed so that the damage dice are recorded separately from any other damage modifiers. For example, Magic missile damage would now be recorded as "1d4" in the damage dice field and "1" in the "other bonus" field in the damage section of a spellbook entry. Previously this would have been recorded simply as "1d4+1" in the one and only damage field that was available. I also added an option to add a stat mod to the damage roll of a spell, this was done primarily to allow for the autoupdating of any spell damage that may use a stat mod as a bonus but has the side effect of adding support for the "Empowered Evocation" feature that Evocation Wizards appear to get. ----- If I dont get any further reports of missing rules related stuff/broken features/etc....then i'll try and get a basic help section added to the sheet and submit it by the end of the week at the latest....because if I dont it will be at least a further week before I am able to do any updates at all due to work commitments.
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
One last update - I added a very hastily written out help text on to the help tab. If no-one else spots any major issues i'll probably submit a pull request to get it added officially on Thursday or Friday....at least then everyone would be able to use it and provide feedback from actual gameplay (though as I mentioned any fixes from that point on probably wouldnt come for about another week or so)
I just picked up the starter box today. I really like the simplified combat rules and the new AC format. Adv and Disadv is pretty neat. I might be switching to this edition as my go to. The sheets look great Actoba keep up the good work!
Great job, Actoba! Look forward to using the sheet.
Actoba, I think the number of spells prepared is off. I am currently testing (which appears to work) : I don't know how to do the known spells (for bards etc yet) floor(@{wizard_level} * @{intelligence_mod} / @{wizard_level}) + floor(@{wizard_level} * @{wizard_spell_prepare_mult}) There might be a more elegant way to do it, but essentially the new formula is level + modifier
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
I knew I had forgot to update something! The spell prep calculations are still based on the play test rules, I'll get them updated when I can later this week...for cleric and wizard at least....the rest will come once we have the PHB
If anyone is interested, thanks to most of the work Actoba has done, I took his copy and made a bit more feature filled version with lots of neat systems that tie into the API. If any DM Mentors are interested to take a look feel free to PM me. It's more for a long term campaign, and would require either speaking with me or at least familiarizing yourself with his sheet first as I replaced the Help tab for a section I thought would be useful for my long term campaign related to diplomacy with other races, cities and factions.(it's just a tab you can ignore if you wish). So features include: Players being able to set their own vision radius for their character token. (works wonderful with the dynamic lighting system). My only custom house rule here is dim vision (in a dense forest, in moon light, etc) is 120 dim radius vision for normal vision characters, and 120 bright, from 120-240 dim for characters with Darkvision. I have markers which indicate which weapon type characters have drawn out. (easy for helping to remember) and to have as a default when you go to a new map. A marker for other statuses including difficult terrain. A system for drinking alcohol. A full system for odor. (again all optional). Has a more complete system overall for passive stealth and passive perception (and again passive odor as well). Has a section for exhaustion, death saving throws. Has a quick spell tab list which allows you to grab spells from your spellbook and then be able to tie macros to them. Prepared spell list text box with a show DM button, if you just want to type out your full spell list, or your prepared/known/always prepared spells, can be divided by level and class or combined to suit the player's prefence. Slight tweak to his class section for current and max number of whatever class mechanic you want to enter. (so it isn't just a name and description). Many many more! (including the variant for easily allowing players to do different stats for skill checks (such as noted in the basic PDF for a long distance swim [ Athletics (CON) ]. Once again, thanks Actoba!!! Couldn't have done it without you!
Also I haven't done a long / short rest reset. Short rest wouldn't work with a repeating class skill section. It could be done for a long rest, however if you wanted it to be 100% all the time it could get a bit tricky. You know with lasting effects etc. Plus it might be a legal violation??? I don't know the formulas for the known spells yet for those classes, and also I forgot to do my 2 hour sleep/awake section for the party to keep their sleeping rotation easy to pull from but I'm not sure if anyone other than me would use that feature??? (I just have a lot of stuff happen at night, and it always spurs the who was sleeping in what 2 hour time slot 15 minute discussion).

Edited 1405024980
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
I've updated the sheet in the public campaign with the correct spell prep calcs for wizard and cleric and a few minor tweaks and tidying and I think thats about all I have time for now......a new thread incoming with the release announcement :) Edit: Release thread - <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/996154/dnd-5e-sheet-initial-release/#post-996154" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/996154/dnd-5e-sheet-initial-release/#post-996154</a>