Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Handling recharge powers

All right, folks. Hit me with your best macros (API-dependent or not) to handle monster powers that recharge (die roll or conditional recharge). I'm starting to get irritated at having to manually track whether the dragon's breath weapon recharged or not, especially between sessions when we're in the middle of combat. What do you do, and how do you do it?
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Since youre a Pro subscriber, you can handle this with a script like Ammo.
GiGs said: Since youre a Pro subscriber, you can handle this with a script like Ammo. Hmm. I can see how you'd use ammo to track, well, ammo (provided it's on a character sheet as a resource), and how to refill spent resources. But I'm not sure how I would use it to roll 1d6 and only refill the attribute on a 5 or 6. Thanks for the rec, though. I will look into it.
I add an Action on any monster with a recharge, such as "Recharge Poison Breath" for a green dragon, and make it a Token Action.  The description is simply: Rolling a 5 or 6 recharges @{selected|npc_name}'s Poison Breath ability. Recharge Roll = **[[1d6]]** Then I just click the Token Action on the Green Dragon's Turn. You could automate this with a script like OnMyTurn .
Jarren K. said: I add an Action on any monster with a recharge, such as "Recharge Poison Breath" for a green dragon, and make it a Token Action.  The description is simply: Rolling a 5 or 6 recharges @{selected|npc_name}'s Poison Breath ability. Recharge Roll = **[[1d6]]** Then I just click the Token Action on the Green Dragon's Turn. You could automate this with a script like OnMyTurn . Ah, thank you! And I'd forgotten about that script. 
Tried the OnMyTurn script, followed Aaron's instructions in the thread, but nothing happens on the token's turn (the ability doesn't fire). For now, I'm just appending a recharge roll to the monster's attack power, similar to what Jarren recommended, though it sure would be nice if there was a way to indicate success or failure conditionally.
The Aaron  made a comment in that thread that there are some limitations: Ability and Macro references won't work. So as an initial test, try setting the "OnMyTurn" to simply whisper to the GM: /w gm Testing On My Turn If that works, then it's an issue with whatever other command you're trying to run in the OnMyTurn ability. 
Jarren K. said: The Aaron  made a comment in that thread that there are some limitations: Ability and Macro references won't work. So as an initial test, try setting the "OnMyTurn" to simply whisper to the GM: /w gm Testing On My Turn If that works, then it's an issue with whatever other command you're trying to run in the OnMyTurn ability.  I wasn't calling abilities or macros, just trying to get a die roll. Which wasn't working. I tried it again just a minute ago, using the test setting you suggested, and it worked. But as soon as I tried a dice roll, it stopped working, and then even that test didn't work anymore. I wonder if there's some weirdness with Combat Master, which I am currently running?