Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Copy of games cannot be used - yes/no?

I went to my recently copied game (2 weeks old from 2/5/2021) to check on a PC Character sheet for review and couldn't bring up the Core. I got the abilities and attributes, but no Core. Then I went to all my copied games and the same thing happened. Am I under the misconception of what the reasons are for using  Copy Game ? I've come of accept that copy doesn't include the APIs and such, but what's the point of Copying a game if the most important part (The Core) is excluded? and, unlike the APIs, cannot be simply regenerated? I've read Roll20 advice to "be sure to make a copy" of your games once in awhile so as not to lose something by accident. I sure hope I'm missing something or, heavy sigh. I surely needed that backup.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
What is "the core" you're referring to? Are you sure you checked all the boxes for things you wanted to be copied from the game?

Edited 1612569937
Gold
Forum Champion
You can play Copied games. You're right about the API not copying. I don't know what "the core" means, clarify? Guessing you mean the CHARACTER SHEET since you said you got Attributes but not this?  If it's just that, go to the Game's Game Settings Page (from Game Details Drop-down of that game) and set it to the Character Sheet that you want, this should then populate from the Attributes & Abilities tab.
Gold  said: You can play Copied games. You're right about the API not copying. I don't know what "the core" means, clarify? Guessing you mean the CHARACTER SHEET since you said you got Attributes but not this?  If it's just that, go to the Game's Game Settings Page (from Game Details Drop-down of that game) and set it to the Character Sheet that you want, this should then populate from the Attributes & Abilities tab.         Maybe I should have said character sheet core page. Anyway, reestablishing the Character Sheet template solved that problem.  Thank you.          I must ask, however, why more detail is not copied; i.e. the default tokens. For instance, in the backup game, I had to rebuild and reassign scores character sheet default Tokens - both players and NPCs. I have not tried to copy the current game for fear of what's going to happen to all the linked, rollable tokens - some of which have multiple PC/NPC sheets assigned to them on account of Wildshape. These tokens have id's, so it seems to me, on the face of it, a backup connection should be doable.         The scariest part of Roll20 is: after months of configuring, building unique approaches, and creating work arounds, I have no way to locally back up the game - especially the Character sheet; the heart of the game. I've been configuring Roll20 for just under a year, now, and though it has served me reasonably well, I've experienced a few updates that suggests to me a questionable backward compatibility migration strategy. It's like not knowing if the bungee cords will be properly measured.    
ᐰndreas J. said: What is "the core" you're referring to? Are you sure you checked all the boxes for things you wanted to be copied from the game? On the character sheet there is a page called CORE left of BIO and SPELLS .  I see now the drop-down is for selecting more details. Thanks for the heads up. I must confess, since the column said Optional: Choose a Character Sheet , and since I didn't think of my activity as creating a new game, I simply clicked on the "I'm ready, Create Game" button, and went for a cup of coffee. I figured the "I'm ready, Create Game!" was a single use button for both copy and create purposes, especially since I used the Copy Game button to get there. Oh dopey me.
Rosco James said: Gold  said: You can play Copied games. You're right about the API not copying. I don't know what "the core" means, clarify? Guessing you mean the CHARACTER SHEET since you said you got Attributes but not this?  If it's just that, go to the Game's Game Settings Page (from Game Details Drop-down of that game) and set it to the Character Sheet that you want, this should then populate from the Attributes & Abilities tab.         Maybe I should have said character sheet core page. Anyway, reestablishing the Character Sheet template solved that problem.  Thank you.          I must ask, however, why more detail is not copied; i.e. the default tokens. For instance, in the backup game, I had to rebuild and reassign scores character sheet default Tokens - both players and NPCs. I have not tried to copy the current game for fear of what's going to happen to all the linked, rollable tokens - some of which have multiple PC/NPC sheets assigned to them on account of Wildshape. These tokens have id's, so it seems to me, on the face of it, a backup connection should be doable.         The scariest part of Roll20 is: after months of configuring, building unique approaches, and creating work arounds, I have no way to locally back up the game - especially the Character sheet; the heart of the game. I've been configuring Roll20 for just under a year, now, and though it has served me reasonably well, I've experienced a few updates that suggests to me a questionable backward compatibility migration strategy. It's like not knowing if the bungee cords will be properly measured.   Later that night . . . I take it back about the token assignments I ranted about earlier. I was a victim of my mistake of not doing the copy correctly in the first place. I tried a new copy with more success. Whew. So much to know and so little time. Anyway, thank you who have responded so quickly. It was very helpful. I'm still worried about local backups.  
As a work around, you can save Characters and Character Sheets in your Character Vault. You find the Character Vault in the Tools Drop down menu.
Gold
Forum Champion
Glad we made some positive steps here. Unfortunately you're right there is no offline Roll20, local backup.