Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Help with Dynamic Lighting and explorer mode

Hello, I'm working with dynamic lighting for the first time. I created the walls the light sources for the exterior of the palace (the idea is that they go with torches and opening doors) but when I activate the explorer mode, so my players can see clearly the area they already had discovered, they begin to see everything grey and the light sources disappears.  I paste a picture of what they see after I joined as a player with a token controlled by "All Players". Can you help me, please?  Thank you
I'm still using LDL, so this may function slightly different for Explorer Mode. (It's not  supposed  to... but it might.) 1. First, check all your tokens, to make sure they are only set up to use one lighting system.  I just found out a couple nights ago that several of my players weren't able to see explored areas of AFoW, because somehow their vision was turned on in UDL.  Everything else was correct (page settings only for LDL, token settings for LDL) but that prevented them from seeing explored areas. So definitely double check that each token is only using the system you want, and that the page is set up to only use one system as well. 2. Then on the Fog of War toolbar, click on the Reset Fog button.  That should reset both the AFoW/Explorer Mode  and  the Fog of War/Darkness. 3. Next, select the Reveal Areas button on the Fog of War toolbar. 4. Last, hold down the Alt (PC) or Option (mac) key and drag over the entire map to remove only the Fog of War/Darkness.  That should have reset all the hidden areas on the page, and removed the Fog of War/Darkness, leaving the explored areas hidden until tokens explore those areas. If you don't want to use Fog of War/Darkness at all, you have to turn it off on the Legacy Dynamic Lighting tab of the page settings. It's weird that it's on it's still on that tab, but it functions for both LDL and UDL. I'd strongly suggest using a  Dummy Account  to get a true player's view and use that for testing, instead of using 'rejoin as player'. Then it's an easy task of making sure the 'dummy player' is on whichever map you want to look at, at the same time as you are making changes, instead of having to jump back and forth.
Hello! I'm having the same issue, came on the forums for this specifically. This occurs only using the newest version of Dynamic lighting.  I can confirm the issue also occurs on my players' side.
Thank you Jarren! :D Following those steps I was able to fix it beck to normal!  But the UDL is a little bugged, isn't it? Yesterday, in my game all the map began to being dicovered and my players were not moving it was super weird and I had to change everything to LDL for the rest of the game... :( 
If you don't want to use Fog of War/Darkness at all, you have to turn it off on the Legacy Dynamic Lighting tab of the page settings. It's weird that it's on it's still on that tab, but it functions for both LDL and UDL. Jarren K., you mean if I want to use permanent darkness in UDL, I have to have fog of war turned on, and that's on the LDL tab? I would never have found that on my own!
Valerie M. said: If you don't want to use Fog of War/Darkness at all, you have to turn it off on the Legacy Dynamic Lighting tab of the page settings. It's weird that it's on it's still on that tab, but it functions for both LDL and UDL. Jarren K., you mean if I want to use permanent darkness in UDL, I have to have fog of war turned on, and that's on the LDL tab? I would never have found that on my own! Yup. Like I said, it's weird that it's still on that tab, but that may be because LDL will eventually only become 'Permanent Darkness' once UDL is completely working and the other LDL functions are turned off. That just a guess, or it could have some other backend reasoning for not moving that away from the LDL settings page. Honestly I wish that Dynamic Lighting and Fog of War/Darkness were on completely separate layers of the game. It's really confusing to figure out if the dark area I'm seeing as GM is from the FoW/Darkness, or from AFoW/Explorer Mode.
I've been fighting and fighting with what looks like this newfound bug. My explorer mode seems to be bugged to where it cause my players vision to go completely grey, regardless of token vision, as soon as  they move. No idea why and even following these steps I can't seem to work out any rhyme or rhythm to it. Anyone else have ideas?
Andy, someone else,  Permalink , has the same problem and found some factors that seem to contribute to triggering it.  No solution, though.
Thanks! Much appreciated!