Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFP][D&D][5E][FREE] Old School DM looking for players, new or veterans, for a 'World Campaign'

Edited 1613282258
Sorry we are FULL now. Thank you all for your requests to join I am truly humbled. If I decide to start up a second group I will reach out. Let's start this off with the simple rules: 1) must be 18+ years old, 2) There is NO discrimination, diversity is awesome, 3) this is a Fantasy game so NO real world politics discussions, 4) This is about roleplaying and teamwork and having fun. 5) We help each other not belittle one another. 6) If you intend to 'what they call' power-game or have designs on monopolizing control of the game please don't apply.   Problem players will be asked to leave or be kicked.     Ok now that's done, I'm hoping to find 2-4 (preferably 4) players for a hopefully long World Campaign. I am planning a beginning to middle of March start date. Will most likely be Weekends (Fri, Sat or Sun). I don't want to set that in stone till our group is established and we are closer to start date.   A little about me. I'm Old School of course, I started as a player in the early 80's. Started DM'ing in the late 80's. Took a little over a decade break due to life. I ran a two year campaign that averaged 8-10 players that consisted of 6 core and the rest revolving. We maxed out a number of times at 18 players and it was a blast. I don't do one shot book campaigns. I have a mostly fleshed out World that has become so much more diverse with all the new content I have gleaned from the 9 or so source books I have for 5E and a computer to store and organize my thoughts and information on. I am all about the story and its players. Once we start our Campaign, together we will build and change the world. When I come to the table for the first meeting I will already have a large number of hooks and paths for you to choose from through roleplaying your characters and most you probably won't even realize are there. I don't believe in saying ok we are doing The Demon Web pits today let's start. I believe in starting in the world, interacting with it and the players making their own way based on events and information they gather. I want you to decide who to help, save, rob or remove from power, should you slay a monster or chase it away, for example. Also your characters are integral to the world and its story so EVERYONES background will have influence and everyone will shine. I'm new to Roll20 so bare with me, I probably won't have all the macros I want ready at first but I am learning quickly.   Now to what you need to know that will make or break your decision here, if I haven't already done that. Before you read further don't believe you will be too powerful, remember its 2-4 people and whatever allies you can make against a world and the planes of existence. Not to mention Gods, Demi-Gods, Demons and Devils. Character Creation So I'm from the school of player characters that believes you use every tool at your disposal when building your character, to that point, you can use any of the following source materials during said process: Players Handbook Tasha's Cauldron of Everything Xanathar's Guide to Everything Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica Guide to Ebberon Legendary Dragons Mythic Odysseys of Theros Please submit any Homebrew ideas for consideration If I missed anything it is because I don't own it lol. That being said even though I own all of these I may not have them memorized or read cover to cover by the time I hope to start our Campaign but I will have them for reference.       To sum up, I want everyone to enjoy creating their characters the way they want to with the background, race and classes they want. Also you can be from any of the D&D worlds (Faerun / Ravnica / Theros / Greyhawk / etc.  even Homebrew) it won't disrupt the order of the things (no spoilers so don't ask :-)).   Other important character building info. Starting Character Level Note it may seem single class characters get the short end of the stick but I promise you they won't. Nor will anyone deciding to go straight by the book. Single Class Characters level 9 possibly 10 Multi class characters whether dual or triple classed Levels can't add up to more than 11 and the single highest level          Can't be any higher than 7 (for example: 7-3-1, 6-5) Your Stats (Str,Con,etc) Start at base of 10 and you get 30 pts to spread out where you want Each point you raise a stat only costs one until you hit 18 It will cost you 2 pts for each pt above 18 (max is 20) Important note: Any new players that want help making a character I have your back.   Final Important Info (I think)   Communication: Roll20 or Discord, will be decided once group is formed. Video Chat can be discussed as well. Frequency/Duration: Either Fri, Sat or Sun of each week, will be decided once group is formed  . I run on CST, we will determine a time slot as group forms. Runtime 3 hours +   Application? no that's not right how about..... Join Request Please send info asked for below so I can see how we mesh thank you What Class(es) do you want to play What Species(race) do you want to play - has NO affect just curious What would be your second choice for character class(es) Why do you want to join this campaign - not looking for an essay Your time zone What makes you reliable How long have you played D&D Are currently in a group What makes you a good fit for any group Note: Once your request is accepted I will set up semi short zero day session with you so we can test all the waters and see if we truly mesh. I'm normally easy to get along with.
Hi, 1st thing, everything sounds amazaing and i would really love joining the team! Basicly the class im mostly intrested on trying out is circle of stars Druid from Tasha. Race: pallid elf / Vedalken My 2nd choice of char would probbly b a cleric or a monk. I want to join because im really looking fir a long term campaign with rich story and a team that will work together and not just shout and do stuff for shit and giggles and it seems like that exactly what you are aiming for. My time zone is GMT+2 Im mostly on time and tend to take good alligenments so hope it makes me reliable Playing 5e for about a year now so fairly new to be honest. Currently in a irl group that meets once 2-3 weeks. I believe in letting everyone have fun and some stand in the spotlight.
What Class(es) do you want to play What Species(race) do you want to play What would be your second choice for character class: I like to bass my characters around what I feel fits well in the world. I have a few basic ideas for characters that would need fleshing out but would depend on the world that surrounds them. Why do you want to join this campaign: Been looking for a good story driven campaign for a while now with an experienced DM that would both be able to drive the game forward and control some of the slightly more chaotic players if necesary and you seem like the type who does this.  Your time zone: GMT (UK) What makes you reliable: Been looking for a quality game for a while now and have a few exciting character ideas that I can't wait to play out! How long have you played D&D: Only a year or so on and off with fairly unreliable campaigns so pretty new overall. Are currently in a group: No. What makes you a good fit for any group: I'm easy to get on with, very laid back and believe that everyone should be able to enjoy the game!
What Class(es) do you want to play:  I would say im up for  trying any class   but most  likely  Bard, Paladin or Cleric What Species(race) do you want to play - Currently  unsure i tend to pick as  i go along   What would be your second choice for character class(es):  Im  okay with playing any class, but if not the above  Monk and barbarian do look like they could be fun and I have had  ideas for barbarian  Why do you want to join this campaign - not looking for an essay:   You  sound  like a  fun  and enjoyable  Dm  and  like  you will make a  rich  world  full of  amazing and fun story which is what I like and  enjoy in this.  Your time zone: GMT What makes you reliable:   I like to try and be on time  for events  and  to  try and fit in best i can, I do like to try and be  reliable an friendly as i can How long have you played D&D: 3 or so  years on and off  with 5e and one  game of 3.5  but  the groups never finished sadly Are currently in a group: IN a Pathfinder one on my Fridays, but  Sat and Sunday should be free   What makes you a good fit for any group: I  love   spending time with others  in roleplay, trying to get on with others  and just have everyone  enjoy themselves. I do believe that everyone  should have a  voice in the group  and not be ignored even if  an idea  just might not work.
What Class(es) do you want to play I'm willing to play Ranger, Barbarian, Sorcerer, Bard, Monk, Druid  What Species(race) do you want to play - has NO affect just curious I don't know why but I tend to lean closer to the monster/weird races lizardfolk, Minotaur, Leonin Shifter, kalashtar  What would be your second choice for character class(es) Why do you want to join this campaign - not looking for an essay  I'm looking for a game that will last for a while and where character backstory and decisions actually matter and this seems like it's that Your time zone CST What makes you reliable Never missed a game except for ones during the holidays How long have you played D&D 3 months Are currently in a group Yes one every other Tuesday and then another every Wednesday What makes you a good fit for any group I try to mesh as fast as possible with the group and try to make rp as easy as possible for other players 
hello! What Class(es) do you want to play: Wizard What Species(race) do you want to play - has NO affect just curious: Elves or some homebrew content possibly? What would be your second choice for character class(es): Cleric Why do you want to join this campaign - I'm looking for a long-term campaign that has rich story and interested in combat and that it allows all players to grow together and individually. Your time zone - EST What makes you reliable - Consistent work schedule. Plus if you prioritize something then you can always be on time for it (unless emergencies of course). I tend to never miss sessions and when I do, it is known weeks in advance the reason why I can make a particular day. How long have you played D&D: 4 years Are currently in a group: No What makes you a good fit for any group: I like to involve others in the narrative and not simply "take" the spotlight. 
Well have played most every race and class at one point or another. Been playing off and on for 40 ish years tho I haven't played much since 1999( I moved  had kids and got married side note don't get married lol) I was in a group around two years ago and I was just getting into it and of course I ended up moving again. I'm really just trying to get back into the grove so I guess that may put me in the questionable side for reliable but I guess we're both taking a chance here,  I'm a SoCal guy so It's fair to say I'm pretty laid back but I've never had a socal surfer accent unless I had a joke to make. But I'm pretty quick to laugh at myself first because I work in a serious industry. (Oil) I usually need a bit of laughter after work. If you've ever seen the treehouse of horror it's the "no tv and no beer make Homor something something..." 
I dig the game already...   Jason here: so I played Red Box a ton as a kid, eons ago - yes I'm old (50), not Yoda old, nor as wise. I got back into it about a year ago and played a session that lasted almost a year.  Discord Name:   Bodizepha#1836 D&D 5E Experience:   A couple years of 5e, around 84 hours in game on Roll20 Character Info :  A nomad, a wanderer. Strong and wise, he can fend for himself in the wild. As a small child, he was abandoned and the Holy light of Pelor spared him. Since then he has devoted himself to helping those in need as Pelor did for him, paying his debt with a lifetime of devout servitude. Now he travels from place to place, meeting and interacting with the impoverished. He knows nothing of history or politics, speaks simply; Yet he has a deep understanding of the world. Race:   Dragonborn     Class:   Cleric
I would like to play a wizard for my class maybe spec'd with secondary class like fighter or barbarian Lizardfolk first choice for race Alternate class would be cleric This campaign stands out to me in great part because you seem to be putting real thought into getting this setup right; taking time to find people that fit and getting the campaign to work with the player’s and their schedules.  You also seem quite experienced like you know how to respect player choice and would reward players showing initiative.   EST (GMT-5) I have played and dmed for several years now, I have seen several campaigns get canceled owing to one issue or another but I have never ducked out of a campaign, rarely missed a session unexpectedly, have never canceled a campaign I’ve been running, nor been the source of a serious inter-player conflict.   I have played continuously for about 2 years now and played on and off before that.   I am currently DMing for a group of friends but I am not a player in any group.   I feel I owe it to my fellow players to make sure they have a good time.  So I will take the lead if the group is struggling to make decisions but will gladly go along with whatever crazy plan the group cooks up.  
This is exactly what I'm looking for. As a player I love being a muse to the DM and with good ideas subtly influencing the game world. What Class(es) do you want to play  I always have a bunch of character ideas bouncing around my head (its my happy place). I have a fun warlock(fathomless)/cleric(tempest) character I'd like to play. Also I haven't played a Artificer, yet. That would be fun too. What Species(race) do you want to play - has NO affect just curious The warlock/cleric would be a Aasimar. But I like playing gnomes, goblins, and halflings alot. What would be your second choice for character class(es)  I haven't played a Artificer, yet. That would be fun too. Why do you want to join this campaign - not looking for an essay  This is exactly what I'm looking for. As a player I love being a muse to the DM and with good ideas subtly influencing the game world.I really like a steady game versus one shots. I like being part of a bigger plot than just bar/dungeons. Your time zone  Pacific What makes you reliable  I'm a stay at home dad with lots of  (mostly) free time on my hands. How long have you played D&D  I've played D&D in some form for 30ish years . Are currently in a group  I currently have a Friday night Ebberon game, but that is it. Looking for a little more. What makes you a good fit for any group  I'm a good team player. I understand the game. I am always trying to better the roleplaying experience for me and the people I play with. I enjoy boosting people up to give them a chance to shine. If one of us wins, we all win.  :) Thanks, -Lowkey
Please send info asked for below so I can see how we mesh thank you What Class(es) do you want to play I would love to play an artificer specifically a battlesmith their tools and kit just look like fun to me What Species(race) do you want to play - has NO affect just curious Half elf or a genasi What would be your second choice for character class(es) a fighter of some sort Why do you want to join this campaign - not looking for an essay I'm just getting back into the game and this honestly seems like the kind of thing I was looking for and it sounds fun Your time zone CST What makes you reliable My job lets me out no later than 5pm cst every day and I'm off all weekend so I have flexibility to join whenever needed How long have you played D&D I played for about two years several years ago and have only started testing the waters by playing a few one shots with friends Are currently in a group No What makes you a good fit for any group I listen to other people and I feel that people just like being around me.
Hello, like most other people here so far i also think this looks (reads) incredible and sounds very fun. As for the join request What Class(es) do you want to play: Wzard What Species(race) do you want to play - has NO affect just curious: Fire genasi (fun rp), aasiamar, or maybe something homebrew like slimefolk What would be your second choice for character class(es) Why do you want to join this campaign - not looking for an essay: Looks engaging, long term is something i prefer since having 2 groups cancel and disband recently. Your time zone: California PST What makes you reliable: Never miss scheduled sessions and take pride in being on time unless something serious comes up (happened once) How long have you played D&D: Maybe 2 years infrequently due to unreliable groups or drama in one instance (not involving me) Are currently in a group: No What makes you a good fit for any group: I like to think im reliable and while i like to give my characters their own personality, i find the game most fun when all players are enjoying the scene without unnecessary irl drama. Thank you for reading and consideration, have a fantastic day everyone.
Hopefully everyone will check in and read this! I am ever humbled by a community of fellow adventurers. Thank you to everyone who has responded to my post. It's my first time 'advertising' for a gaming campaign, not gonna lie it's a little weird.  I had forgotten what it is like to communicate, for lack of a better word right now, with folks of a like mind. Being straight with everyone, this is gonna be hard picking 4 and now possibly 5 people to start with out of all these posts. I will apologize now for any who feel slighted if I don't choose you straight away. Note: Depending on how this works out I have plans to expand to two separate groups hoping to see if their paths cross or merge organically through play and will they be on same path or at odds. That's not a promise or a guarantee just a personal hope and goal. Which we all know those things don't always go as planned, life has a way of laughing at goals and plans. That being said I do not expect that down the road anyone not on first round will still be available but if you are I will reach out. Sincerely, SchadowKnyght Life member of "The Old Guard"
If so.done is willing to take me under their wing and teach me/show me a few pointers, I will join.
Heya, I'm interested in meeting you/the eventual group and seeing if we get along! Here's my info: What Class(es) do you want to play? I've played almost every class in the game at this point, so honestly, I'm happy to fill whatever role is missing from the group once everyone else has taken first pick! That being said, I think cleric and bard are my two favorite classes. What Species(race) do you want to play - has NO affect just curious: Pretty much same as above-- race is usually the last thing I pick, I like to come up with a concept first and fill in the details from there. What would be your second choice for character class(es): Again, literally just whatever the group needs to be balanced. :) Why do you want to join this campaign - not looking for an essay: I've just been craving more D&D lately and I'm trying to find a group that I mesh with. Hopefully you'll be the one! Your time zone: EST. I'm looking for Sunday to be our day, with a start time anywhere between 8 to 10pm est. What makes you reliable: I don't really have a life outside work and D&D lmfao, this is my main hobby and I am always itching to play-- not just on our designated day, but often on "bonus" days if I've got nothing else going on and everyone else is free. How long have you played D&D? I think going on 4 or 5 years now? Time kind of blends together. Are currently in a group? Yep, I play with my regular crew in 3 different games per week. Once upon a time we actually had 9 games running at the same time, two alternating bi-weekly. We've been playing together since the beginning of my D&D lifespan and I'm hoping I can find a second group that I can become just as close with. What makes you a good fit for any group: I'm friendly, enthusiastic about D&D, and kind of a people-pleaser tbh. I'm also fully LGBTQ+ friendly (am queer myself) and consider myself pretty progressive; if I do mess up and make someone uncomfortable, I'm always open to hearing about it and taking steps to resolve both the issue and whatever my behavior was. Of course, I only ask that the same consideration be applied to myself from everyone including the DM. I won't play with any group that considers any form of bigotry to be acceptable, whether as a "joke" or not.
What Class(es) do you want to play Monk What Species(race) do you want to play Aarokokra What would be your second choice for character class(es) Fighter Why do you want to join this campaign I'm so eager to play at higher levels Your time zone PST What makes you reliable good internet and headset How long have you played D&D Are currently in a group Yeah, I try to have 4-6 games going on at any given time What makes you a good fit for any group I play defensively, cooperatively, and play to further the group's interests and cohesion.
Still looking for players?
What Class(es) do you want to play: I have an Oathbreaker Paladin I want to explore deeply What Species(race) do you want to play - has NO affect just curious: An Aasimar What would be your second choice for character class(es): A Warlock or a Barbarian (I have and idea for this one with Path of the Beast) Why do you want to join this campaign - not looking for an essay : I love to play D&D and a good story, but also it a lot of fun knowing new people, and making new friends. Also all of what you said about you world, sounds AWESOMEEEE!!! Also... The group I was playing just disappear and want to make new friends to play more. Your time zone: GMT-6 (same as CST) What makes you reliable: When I make a commitment with someone, I always do my best to stand by my word. How long have you played D&D: I think for like 5 years maybe... Are currently in a group: No What makes you a good fit for any group: If I can help someone, I will always do it. I always build my characters from an idea and/or backstory and see what it goes from there. I like "Evil" character but never screw the party, since it's a game where everybody wants to have fun. So if the party wants to go somewhere we all go. No one like a guy that screws the fun. But most important I think I'm a goof fits since, I'm open to play anything and try new stuff.
What Class(es) do you want to play:  I am interested in playing a rogue or rogue/ranger What Species(race) do you want to play - has NO affect just curious: Most likly a Half-elf or halfling What would be your second choice for character class(es): Possibly a bard Why do you want to join this campaign - not looking for an essay: The premise sounds very interesting and the fact you are open to new players Your time zone: West coast (pst) What makes you reliable: I am currently off work for the next month at least and when I do go back my afternoons/evenings will be open (except later at night as I work graveyard). How long have you played D&D: Have not played at all and am looking for a group that will accept my lack of experience. Are currently in a group: Not currently What makes you a good fit for any group: I am easy to get along with and don't make a huge fuss about things. I am also eager to learn new things.
Going to jump in a little late it seems. But I am part of a Role playing group who is looking for a GM. We've taken turns over the years and decided we would all like to play together, which is a new approach. Each of the 4 of us have been playing for a minimum of 25 years with most of us starting in 1st edition. We love the world building approach and would be happy to assist in one of your games. Since there are four of us, it would be an easy way to fill an entire game with a group who enjoys role play and desires nothing but fun in the game. Regarding the questions, I can honestly say that we will play any class and have no reserves or restraints on a certain aspect. We've all played various races, from themed games to a random group of misfits.  We are all in EST timezone and would appreciate the privilege of sharing in the building of a world with a GM that shares our years of experience.
What Class(es) do you want to play: Sorcerer, Wizard What Species(race) do you want to play - has NO affect just curious: Depends on which character, Human comes up a lot, sometimes Orc, Tiefling, Aasimar or the odd Elf will pop up. What would be your second choice for character class(es): Fighter, Barbarian, Rogue Why do you want to join this campaign - not looking for an essay: It sounds like the campaign is a more player driven story, which is the style of play I most prefer. I like the sandbox feel of that kind of game, instead of going after the evil king like the DM might have planned, the players are nervous about it and instead decide to flee and the campaign suddenly turns into one about avoiding the law and keeping a low profile while adventuring and trying to make a difference instead of a revolutionary tale about overthrowing a tyrant. That's the kind of stuff I like, the emergent stories. Your time zone: PST, I'm used to playing with EST/CST so no timezone issues to worry about. What makes you reliable: My weekends are very flexible so I can adapt to whatever time the group runs at, I also haven't had the chance to play in a while so you can rely on the fact that I very much want to be able to play lol. How long have you played D&D: I started playing around when 5e released, having only played a few months of Pathfinder before that. Roughly 6 years or so in total, give or take. Are currently in a group: As I alluded to above, I'm not in any group right now. What makes you a good fit for any group: I'm a pretty laid back dude from California so I'm fairly easy to get along with. I'm a team player, I share the spotlight well, I'm the kind of guy who doesn't mind the rogue going off to sneak through the dungeon, having their own mini adventure to scout it out. I like those interesting, tense moments even when I'm not directly involved, it's all part of the fun.
What Class(es) do you want to play- Wizard  What Species(race) do you want to play - has NO affect just curious- Forest Gnome  What would be your second choice for character class(es) Rogue  Why do you want to join this campaign - not looking for an essay- I am also Old School.I also started playing D&D in the late 80's at recess. Life happened and I rarely got the chance to play until 2010.  I ran into a group of co workers who were playing. When the virus hit , i came to roll 20. I had no luck LFG so i stated a high level (evil) Drow campaign and learned how to r20. As much as i love being DM, i still have that itch to be a player as well! Your time zone EST (But my time is pretty free) What makes you reliable   I am an executive Chef.  How long have you played D&D On and off since the 1980's Are you currently in a group   I DM a Drow Campaign What makes you a good fit for any group   Im laid back and just looking to roll some dice and have some fun with like minded people. I enjoy a good dungeon crawl, political intrigue, puzzles and mysteries alike.  
What Class(es) do you want to play Fighter (Either Samurai or Mercer's Gun Slinger)  What Species(race) do you want to play - has NO affect just curious Human Variant What would be your second choice for character class(es) Paladin/Warlock (Aasimar)  Why do you want to join this campaign - not looking for an essay I been struggling to find a group for about 1.5 years (mainly with work and my last group broke apart badly which I can explain in Private messages) Your time zone I am in Moutain Standard  What makes you reliable well as of now I have Friday and Saturday evenings off and any schedule change will be notified asap and if needed I would take the bullet to let someone else play over me. How long have you played D&D about 3 years I have played 5E and have a bit of the expansion and DM guide. Are currently in a group nope as mentioned above I do not which I am trying to find a group as much as possible  What makes you a good fit for any group Well I am willing to accept feedback and tips to improve if there are any issues and I tend to avoid PvP at all cost unless its for fun or a plot point and well my characters always like  to buy the first round of drinks normally :D