Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFP][D&D][5E][FREE] Update need two more at least. Old School DM looking for players, new or veterans, for a 'World Campaign'

* UPDATE* Reaching to folks now to get discord IDs for a meet and greet. If you are interested PM me your discord ID and I will respond. Will be around computer late into night and over the weekend. Still have some slots open. Let's start this off with the simple rules:  1) must be 18+ years old, 2) There is NO discrimination, diversity is awesome, 3) this is a Fantasy game so NO real world politics discussions, 4) This is about roleplaying and teamwork and having fun. 5) We help each other not belittle one another.  6)  If you intend to 'what they call' power-game or have designs on monopolizing control of the game please don't apply.    Problem players will be asked to leave or be kicked.      Ok now that's done, I'm hoping to find 2-4 (preferably 4) players for a hopefully long World Campaign. I am planning a beginning to middle of March start date. Will most likely be Weekends (Fri, Sat or Sun). I don't want to set that in stone till our group is established and we are closer to start date.   A little about me.  I'm Old School of course, I started as a player in the early 80's. Started DM'ing in the late 80's. Took a little over a decade break due to life. I ran a two year campaign that averaged 8-10 players that consisted of 6 core and the rest revolving. We maxed out a number of times at 18 players and it was a blast. I don't do one shot book campaigns. I have a mostly fleshed out World that has become so much more diverse with all the new content I have gleaned from the 9 or so source books I have for 5E and a computer to store and organize my thoughts and information on. I am all about the story and its players. Once we start  our  Campaign, together we will build and change the world. When I come to the table for the first meeting I will already have a large number of hooks and paths for you to choose from through roleplaying your characters and most you probably won't even realize are there. I don't believe in saying ok we are doing The Demon Web pits today let's start. I believe in starting in the world, interacting with it and the players making their own way based on events and information they gather. I want you to decide who to help, save, rob or remove from power, should you slay a monster or chase it away, for example. Also your characters are integral to the world and its story so EVERYONES background will have influence and everyone will shine. I'm new to Roll20 so bare with me, I probably won't have all the macros I want ready at first but I am learning quickly.   Now to what you need to know that will make or break your decision here, if I haven't already done that. Before you read further don't believe you will be too powerful, remember its 2-4 people and whatever allies you can make against a world and the planes of existence. Not to mention Gods, Demi-Gods, Demons and Devils. Character Creation So I'm from the school of player characters that believes you use every tool at your disposal when building your character, to that point, you can use any of the following source materials during said process: Players Handbook Tasha's Cauldron of Everything Xanathar's Guide to Everything Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica Guide to Ebberon Legendary Dragons Mythic Odysseys of Theros Please submit any Homebrew ideas for consideration If I missed anything it is because I don't own it lol. That being said even though I own all of these I may not have them memorized or read cover to cover by the time I hope to start our Campaign but I will have them for reference.       To sum up, I want everyone to enjoy creating their characters the way they want to with the background, race and classes they want. Also you can be from any of the D&D worlds (Faerun / Ravnica / Theros / Greyhawk / etc.  even Homebrew) it won't disrupt the order of the things (no spoilers so don't ask :-)).   Other important character building info. Starting Character Level Note it may seem single class characters get the short end of the stick but I promise you they won't. Nor will anyone deciding to go straight by the book. Single Class Characters level 9 possibly 10 Multi class characters whether dual or triple classed Levels can't add up to more than 11 and the single highest level          Can't be any higher than 7 (for example: 7-3-1, 6-5) Your Stats (Str,Con,etc) Start at base of 10 and you get 30 pts to spread out where you want Each point you raise a stat only costs one until you hit 18 It will cost you 2 pts for each pt above 18 (max is 20) Important note: Any new players that want help making a character I have your back.   Final Important Info (I think)   Communication: Roll20 or Discord, will be decided once group is formed. Video Chat can be discussed as well. Frequency/Duration: Either Fri, Sat or Sun of each week, will be decided once group is formed  . I run on CST, we will determine a time slot as group forms. Runtime 3 hours +   Application? no that's not right how about..... Join Request Please send info asked for below so I can see how we mesh thank you What Class(es) do you want to play What Species(race) do you want to play - has NO affect just curious What would be your second choice for character class(es) Why do you want to join this campaign - not looking for an essay Your time zone What makes you reliable How long have you played D&D Are currently in a group What makes you a good fit for any group Note: Once your request is accepted I will set up semi short zero day session with you so we can test all the waters and see if we truly mesh. I'm normally easy to get along with.
Good evening.   What Class(es) do you want to play - Fighter / melee or range focused, depends on my mood at the time of creation, to be honest :) What Species(race) do you want to play - has NO affect just curious - Human/Minotaur/Half-Orc, really in the long run doesnt matter much to me.  I start with a personality concept more so than a race, and choose a race to add flavor to the character concept What would be your second choice for character class(es) Rogue, maybe Cleric? Why do you want to join this campaign - not looking for an essay  I am central time zone, and work Monday through Friday, weekends off.  Your proposed days fit really well with my schedule.  That said, I am just looking for a regular game to have fun and play with some cool people Your time zone  Central What makes you reliable  When I am part of a game, I make every concession I can t make the time open.  I do have children, but they are pretty self sufficient at this point and have their own avenues of entertainment.  The only thing that would potentially cause issues for me being able to make a session would be that I am on-call for my job for 2 weeks every 8 weeks.  This usually doesnt affect me, as it doesnt happen often that I have to respond to an after-hours issue, but it is always present when I am on call. How long have you played D&D  I have gamed since AD&D second edition Are currently in a group  I have a group that plays every other Sunday, usually mid-day What makes you a good fit for any group - I like to play to the setting, while exploring and developing the idea of the character I create.  I dont like to Meta play the game, as I feel that takes away from the immersion, and thus the entire point of playing tabletop games. All that aside, I know Roll20, I use Beyond, I have used other VTT platforms, have Discord, good mic, ect.    So let's talk about it and see if you think I would be a good addition to your game!
Hello, my name is Johnathan. I have not had the best luck with campaigns and have been eager to join a game with not only players who are passionate and excited, but also an experienced DM who still loves the game. I have played off and on for about... 8 years but have only started campaigns and not had a chance to develop my characters or a deeper understanding for the rules, so I would not consider myself experienced. I like trying new things and am willing to play any class if I come up with a character I enjoy, but I would prefer to play a college of glamour bard or a hex blade warlock (maybe even multiclass both, but I really want to focus on the character developing organically.) I usually play a Tiefling of a Half-Elf, but again, as an inexperienced player and open to input and suggestions. I am in the EST and would prefer games later in the day as I work retail, but I am usually free by 8 on Friday and Saturday and 7 on Sunday, and weekends are also the best time for me. I am definitely reliable; I’m usually waiting 30 minutes early with notes in hand, but I am also the first person to wait for an extra hour if someone is late. I will say, I hope for consistency in a campaign as I have had my fill of constant reschedules, tardiness and outright cancelations and am currently not part of any campaigns because of these. I greatly admire any campaign that is open and accepting of diversity; being openly and obviously gay has been a consistent issue in my life. I also appreciate that you value world building and character development over statistical domination. Overall I would say I am an eager to learn newbie who appreciates each experience as it comes and enjoy working with all types of people to form a group of unlikely heroes that maybe save the world?   P.S. Sorry I wrote so much.
First I want to say Hi. I look forward to hearing from you. I am Robert What Class(es) do you want to play - I enjoy playing all classes. I like to make a fitted piece character filling the gap where needed. What Species(race) do you want to play - Standard 2e type races I dislike the tiefling, aasamir, and dragonborn stuff, but I can fit in if we are playing in those types of settings. What would be your second choice for character class(es)- If I had a choice of character I prefer hero types over villians, so paladins, and good aligned priests are my jam Why do you want to join this campaign - looking to find some fresh chops at a table that isnt my typical one. Your time zone - EST What makes you reliable - I show up every week, I roleplay, and I take notes How long have you played D&D- 25+ years Are currently in a group- yes I have a standard group What makes you a good fit for any group- I dont make lone-wolf types, and I try to engage the other PC's
Hello,  My name is Chris (male, 38, he/him). I have been playing some version of rpg's for roughly 25 years. I nearly always run the game and tend heavily towards player and story driven long-form campaigns. Right now, I am running a group online through a Wildemount campaign and am absolutely loving it. I would like to try my hand at playing to flex the muscles of that side of the hobby and, being honest, see how someone else with a lot of experience does it.  Join Request Responses: What Class(es) do you want to play? I am open to any class and am willing to pick up a "role" that might be missing from the group. If I am choosing, I tend to prefer classes with a lot of options, which typically means spellcasters of some kind (wizard, sorcerer, cleric, bard, etc.).  What ancestry do you want to play? Again, open to anything. Happy to play the default human or spice it up with something weird. Also happy to literally roll on a random table or be assigned an ancestry and make it work.  Second class choice. If playing a spellcaster is out, a hyper-focused, niche style character works as well. Meaning, a fighter with heavy emphasis on protecting one person; a rogue with a lot of skill at mimicry. Whatever.  Why do you want to join? I think I answered this in my opening. Time Zone. Central. I am military and if we hit it off and this goes on for a long time, I would move.  Reliability. I simply do not play in very many games. If we gel, and this group gets off the ground, I will stick. For reference, my current group was playing in Germany in person. We love each other so much and our game that we have survived a total party kill, restarted the game, and are playing from 5 different time zones, once a week, each Sunday. We have missed less than 5 weeks in the last year and a half.  How long have you been playing D&D? 25+ years. I have also enjoyed many other games, most notably Legend of the Five Rings (L5R) under AEG and FF (I actually wrote for AEG books), all World of Darkness (WoD) games, 7th Sea (old and new), Dungeon World, Cypher System (Numenera), Shadowrun (5E), Cyberpunk RED, FATE, Burning Wheel, and more.  Currently in a Group? Yes, see above.  What makes you a good fit? I think I have probably answered this, but I will add to it. My philosophy for RPGs is that we are building a shared illusion, a story that requires all members to participate and develop. I am as eager to dig into another player's backstory as the whys and hows of the BBEG. The game is fun when we are all having fun. I am flexible for what I want to play, have a ton of experience, am willing to flex on options in game, and love failing in a game as much as success.  I also have a fair amount of experience with Roll20 and can help with setup, API scripts, and general knowledge of the game.  Contact. Please feel free to PM me and we can set up other contact info.  Questions and Clarifications. 1) What world is your World Campaign on?  2) Are you willing to use Google Meet, Hangouts, or some kind of video option? I have found straight voice to be a lot less...immersive.  3) Character Creation.  -- a) Seems that we would be starting at Level 9 (or 10) as a single class OR Level 11 as a Multiclass. Is this correct? -- b) Stats are 10 plus 30 points? This means, effectively, every stat starts at 15 if you want?  -- c) Is this a High Magic kind of game? Low, gritty feel? What kind of tone are you hoping to set with the game?  I'm sure I will have more questions as we move forward.  For now, thank you for your post,  Chris 
I am interested in playing in your game. Please invite me to the first session to talk with you and any others. What Class(es) do you want to play I can play any class and race and will choose a character to support the party. Why do you want to join this campaign. I have plenty of free time and simply want to game. Your time zone. EST What makes you reliable. LOL. I have never missed a game due to illness in the last 15 or so years. I may have missed a few for other reasons, but when I say I will be there – I am there. How long have you played D&D. I started playing D&D in 1974. Are currently in a group. Yes. Unfortunately I cannot make a Sunday game, but Friday or Saturday is good What makes you a good fit for any group In reality none of us are a good fit for every group. I believe that we should get together and play a few times and then we can decided if it is a good fit. That being said for myself, I am reasonably understanding of people, have a great sense of humor (if laughter is not a part of the game, then count me out), and bottom line is I absolutely love fantasy.

Edited 1613464159
I am interested in playing in your game  What Class(es) do you want to play - I'm down to play just about anything but as of writing this I'm leaning towards a cleric What Species(race) do you want to play - As of right now I'm not sure they usually come after I have thought of ideas for how I want their personality and backgrounds to look like. What would be your second choice for character class(es) - Once again I play just about anything I'm not that picky but I think I'm leaning towards a Fighter for my second option Why do you want to join this campaign - Honestly just sounded like fun I have four other games that I play in One is on hiatus for a unspecified amount of time. One is starting soon and will be on Saturdays and two are on Mondays swapping out soon one will be moving to Sunday. So right now I would be able to make Fridays for the game. Your time zone - EST What makes you reliable - As of now with the four games going on and some in the past I have never missed a game unless it was because of storms causing power outages or something I cant control  How long have you played D&D - Pretty new I have these 4 games under my belt as of now and that's about it i would say about 2 - 3 years of experience maybe  Are currently in a group - Yes the four games I'm in are all played by the same group What makes you a good fit for any group - I try my best to get along with everyone and just want to have a good time.
What Class(es) do you want to play: I'm happy to play pretty much any class. Currently I have character ideas for Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer What Species(race) do you want to play - has NO affect just curious: Depends on the character, but since the option is available, I think it would be fun to play a Dragonmarked human (Mark of Passage Storm Sorcerer) What would be your second choice for character class(es): Like I said, I'm happy to play pretty much anything. I'm not a hog of the spotlight, so picks that are lower on my list would be something like Bard or Paladin Why do you want to join this campaign - not looking for an essay: I'm usually the DM so the chance to be a player sounds good to me, and your world with the opportunity to dig into the character backstories and really explore the world sounds like exactly the kind of world I'd like to play in. Your time zone: US Central What makes you reliable: I've been DMing my own game for 3 years, so I understand how frustrating it is to have people showing up late or not at all. How long have you played D&D: I've been DMing on roll20 ~3 years Are currently in a group: Yes Friday evenings What makes you a good fit for any group: I don't need to hog the spotlight, I can give advice when it's asked and stay quiet when it isn't, and one of my rules of character creation is to make a character who is able to work with a party
What Class(es) do you want to play I can find a fit with whatever the team requires. Why do you want to join this campaign. I like the fact that you're an older, veteran gamer.  I'm middle-aged myself. Your time zone. AST (one hour ahead of EST) What makes you reliable. A light schedule and a love for the game. How long have you played D&D. Since the early 90s, though I'm just coming back after many years. Are currently in a group. I hope to be in yours. What makes you a good fit for any group Probably my love for the game, my creativity in various situations, my love of teamwork and cooperation.
What Class(es) do you want to play- i have interests in rogue and hunter. What Species(race) do you want to play - has NO affect just curious- kind alike the OG fantasy stuff honestly like elfs What would be your second choice for character class(es)- if i couldnt do a rogue or hunter combo more and likely a sorc they alway slook like so much fun and so many options Why do you want to join this campaign - not looking for an essay- ill keep it short and sweet man i wanna play as much as i can im addicted what can i say.  Your time zone est What makes you reliable- always off on sundays How long have you played D&D-still new few months but watched all kinds of critical role and dimension 20 have subs to both. enjoy it alot like watching a tv show, Are currently in a group- just a homebrew i run w/ my family on saturdays What makes you a good fit for any group- friendly guy, im a long time salesman irl so i have great people skills
If you still need more players, but I can only do Saturdays (any time that day) What Class(es) do you want to play- all of them! I love making characters, so I can fit whatever need the party has What Species(race) do you want to play - has NO affect just curious- same as above, although sometimes I like fun/strange class and species combos What would be your second choice for character class(es)- I have plenty of extra character Why do you want to join this campaign - not looking for an essay- the character creation looks fun Your time zone mst What makes you reliable- I am pretty obsessed with DnD, so unless there is something big happening I really want to be there and play How long have you played D&D- under a year, but I DM a group, so I know a lot of things/had to research a lot. I have been a player, but that game just got cancelled Are currently in a group- as a DM, yes. On Sundays What makes you a good fit for any group- I always love to see everyone having fun (as a DM and a player). I actively look for ways to engage with my fellow players
Hi There,  Hopefully I'm not too late to submit my interest.  What classes do I want to play : Looking to try my hand at Paladin or Bard. Nothing really set in stone, still fleshing out some character ideas.  What races do I want to play: Likely a Human, Dwarf or Half-Orc.   Second choice classes: Monk, Wizard.  Why do I want to join this campaign: Honestly, just looking for a good group a people to hang out and have fun with on the weekends. My local campaign fell apart once the COVID lockdowns started. When I stumbled across your post I really appreciated your overall presentation. I love detailed worlds with rich stories to dig up.  Time Zone: EST What makes me reliable: I work Monday to Friday and during that time I will be thinking of D&D.  How long have I played D&D: I am very new. I have maybe 12-15 sessions under my belt.  Currently in a group:  Nope. Schedule is wide open! What makes me a good fit in any group: I'm a very easy going person who avoids conflict like the plague. I would much rather just have a good time and laugh with friends. 
Hey - this sounds like it could be great! I'm a veteran gamer (both long time, and ex-mil). Currently DMing a weekly game for the last 3 years and would love to find a high quality regular game to be a player in, too. More details below. What Class(es) do you want to play Fairly agnostic. I can make anything fun. But I usually like a little of everything. But usually a focus on arcane magic. Arcane Trickster / Bladesinger? What Species(race) do you want to play - has NO affect just curious Like you, I've made thousands of characters, and the species usually ties very strongly into the character's story. Everything from special-esoterics to just really distinctive core races. (My campaign is limited to humans, dwarves, halflings, rock gnomes, with the exception of 1 *wildcard* character per player. So it really feels like a medieval world.) What would be your second choice for character class(es) Aasimar Pally/Sorc, but interesting instead of lame Why do you want to join this campaign - not looking for an essay Meet new gamers and have fun. Enjoy somebody else's version of D&D. Your time zone PST What makes you reliable Been running a weekly West Marches game for 3+ years. How long have you played D&D 30+ years. Are currently in a group Yep. DMing a roughly weekly group. What makes you a good fit for any group Jokes. I got jokes. High CHA. Also understand the meta structure of stories and gaming and facilitate what the DM is doing. Respect the social contract of gaming. Very fluent in Roll20, and can advise on macros and such, if helpful.