Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

how to use torches with dynamic lighting and other things?

Reworded title and bulk to make it clear what i am asking 1. I am trying to allow the torch holders to see 20ft radius bright and 10 radius dim (as torches generally are) it works BUT (but is below) 2. i have enabled dark vision and superior DV on those who need it... BUT... *BUT* both situations = i have rejoined as *player* but i can see everyone's light (they are not emitting any)
<a href="https://www.dropbox.com/s/1bmfqdvyzlhb2la/Screenshot%202021-02-18%2019.28.38.png?dl=0" rel="nofollow">https://www.dropbox.com/s/1bmfqdvyzlhb2la/Screenshot%202021-02-18%2019.28.38.png?dl=0</a> DM VIEW <a href="https://www.dropbox.com/s/j0l7941klclj09r/Screenshot%202021-02-18%2019.27.44.png?dl=0" rel="nofollow">https://www.dropbox.com/s/j0l7941klclj09r/Screenshot%202021-02-18%2019.27.44.png?dl=0</a> PLAYER VIEW
realised the issue... its because they are in my journals because i am DM lol so it is *myself* who can see their light
I'm a little confused about your issue: is the issue that you have a view from all the tokens? Or that all the tokens are emitting light? If the issue is that you can see a view from all the tokens, then it sounds like you have 'Edit and Control' access on all of the tokens, so you'll 'see' from all of them simultaneously. If the issue is that all of the tokens are emitting light, then you need to double check that the light settings are correct on each token.&nbsp; Also make sure that you don't have 'Daylight Mode' turned on in the page settings. I also strongly suggest using a ' Dummy Account ' instead of using the 'rejoin as player' option, as you'll get a true player view, and you'll be able to view changes live as you make them, instead of logging back and forth.&nbsp;&nbsp;

Edited 1613677608
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Barney said: Reworded title and bulk to make it clear what i am asking 1. I am trying to allow the torch holders to see 20ft radius bright and 10 radius dim (as torches generally are) it works BUT (but is below) 2. i have enabled dark vision and superior DV on those who need it... BUT... *BUT* both situations = i have rejoined as *player* but i can see everyone's light (they are not emitting any) If all of them have the light settings in the first screen shot, then they are all emitting light. If any others have different light settings, it would be good to know what they actually are. 5e torches are 20 feet bright and 20 feet dim. Because you have DL walls in place and you can still see from each PC token simultaneously, it looks like you still have permissions on every PC token. That means you will see what they would see and would not really be able to tell if they were emitting light or not.
my point is, without removing myself from the journal i need to rely on a player test to tell me if they can see everyones light or not?

Edited 1613678390
When you are logged in as GM you will always have all of the characters in your &nbsp;journal.&nbsp; When you are logged in as a player, you will have any in your journal where you are listed in the 'In Player's Journals'. That is separate from the 'Can be Edited and Controlled by' access.&nbsp; You can have a character set to be 'Edited and Controlled by' without being 'In Player's Journals' and vice-versa. This is part of why I strongly suggest using a ' Dummy Account ' instead of using the 'rejoin as player' option. How would you envision checking to see what player's are able to see, if not by logging in as a player?
ohhhhh yeh then that is the issue,,, thank you very much :)

Edited 1613679955
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
EDIT - ninja'd! Btw, the most reliable way to test player vision is by setting up a free dummy account with a throw-away email address. Invite yourself to the game. Then you can open in another browser or in an InPrivate/Incognito window to have them both open at the same time.