Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

DON'T sunset Legacy Dynamic Lighting on May 18th, 2021

Edited 1614000788
Tom
Pro
As noted by many other users on Roll20 as well as I :( The new Dynamic lighting is still NOT ready for a seamless and on parity to Legacy now and on May 18th...... As game breaking bugs are still there for over a year now. And after this date we will have no alternative, making running and playing games smoothly with few/any problems with this new Dynamic Lighting not very doable in my humble opinion and many others if one just checks the bug forum :( Tom
While I agree with you that this change will cause tens of hours of work for myself as a DM in a homebrew world, I get the sneaking suspicion that this is going ahead no matter the outcry.
As a professional GM with tons of players and campaigns running weekly I have had endless  problems with Updated Dynamic Lighting which has lost me clients. I've bought countless products and subscribed to pro for years now, many of my clients ask why I bother with what is now unobjectively the worst  VTT and before I used to answer that there was potential still (and R20's business strategy is to hold the books and modules I've purchased hostage) and that UDL could be great once they worked out the bugs. Years later and not only haven't they still fixed the bugs but they're retiring the only version of their Dynamic Lighting that actually... worked? That's going to be it for me if they force the change. Don't force us to update until you have a finished project, you're not Cyberpunk 2077 or Bethesda, I won't be paying for a lump of coal wrapped in nice paper. Edward Patch.
+1
Moved a vote from another item here to show my support. Of course, this will likely fall on deaf ears and Roll20 will not acknowledge that this thread even exists, but I still want to try.
I agree. Also, I don't understand why a simple, one-box toggle isn't available to simply let your players see what they can see as they move (no walls, no barriers, no light source). Just an old-school fog of war to help accentuate the mood of the map. Why is that so freakin' hard??!!??
They are absolutely incompetent. I cant even let my players see a single thing. I dont have programming skills. The old system was click, highlight, and show easily. Ive been fiddling with it and nothing is moving at all. I cannot for the life of me allow a player to see a single thing. it shte most fucking embarrassingly useless change ive ever seen.
UDL lags too much it does feel like an beta still. Legacy is better, it should still have both options

Edited 1613929000
It's flat ridiculous that they'd force something so unfinished on us when they have something that already works.
+1
+1
As long as moving a token just breaks UDL and makes the whole map dark, it should not even be planned to ship it. How can you ship something, that does not even work at all?
Another paying subscriber, soon to be former paying subscriber, who has moved a vote to echo what hundreds of forum post already say: stop removing working features so you can market broken ones.
Thanks for the support gang, 27 votes in 24 hours, hoped for more but one never knows.  I hope if/when the bugs still are not fixed by May18th Roll20 will do a longer period of keeping LDL with the lights on still, but who knows.  remember to tell your players GM's, to vote here as well, every vote could help us, and them out needles to say Tom
Ambitosis
Marketplace Creator
+1, UDL is a downgrade.
Karl V.
Plus
Translator
+1, the new dynamic lightning is not ready. Release when it is ready. Not before.
+1
+1, the new dynamic lightning is not ready. Release when it is ready. Not before.
Ambitosis
Marketplace Creator
Why is UDL being set as a forced feature the same day that a 5E book is being released? Why did the dev team choose May 18?
John B
Pro
Sheet Author
Don't change till good and it isn't that yet.
Patrick Von Raven
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Agreed. My group has had a lot of problems with the new dynamic lighting that we switched back to legacy (which I don't see a reason for this change anyway). <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/publisher/170/patrick-von-raven" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/publisher/170/patrick-von-raven</a>
+1
Fix your features before forcing them on us
I finally gave in and bought Foundry VTT today. Had it running in under an hour
Darkvision is not supported with UDL! Per&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Legacy_Dynamic_Lighting_Examples" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Legacy_Dynamic_Lighting_Examples</a>, &nbsp;the LDL settings should be as follows for&nbsp; darkvision of 60ft: Light Radius &nbsp;= "30" Start of Dim &nbsp;= "0" All Players See Light &nbsp;= "Unchecked" Has Sight &nbsp;= "Checked" Multiplier = "2" Per&nbsp; <a href="https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/articles/360044771413-Updated-Dynamic-Lighting-Cheat-Sheet" rel="nofollow">https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/articles/360044771413-Updated-Dynamic-Lighting-Cheat-Sheet</a> , you are instructed to do the following: Vision = "On" Night Vision = "On" Night Vision Distance = "60 ft" This is not the same thing!!
Several of my players in one game have older computers/slower ISPs, UDL flat doesn't work on their computers. I don't think I will try to recruit replacements when they go, so those customers are gone. LDL is flawed, UDL is incomplete and flawed...
+1 Cancelling my subscription today because of this issue and how they are handling feedback about it. Can't wait to find a new company to spend thousands of hours and dollars on!
+1
Agreed, keep fog of war please sometimes when not running a complicated map fog of war is nice and simple and just plain easier also dynamic lighting takes processing power and I found that it was causing crashes if players computers etc were not up to spec.
Thankfully, basic fog of war (which all accounts including free ones have access to) is not going away.
+1 I recently tried again when seeing the post that you're dumping legacy to try and see if the bugs from before were gone. They still exist and its straight up not useable. Why would you be pushing a feature that literally doesn't even work? Within a day of using the 'new' version the players literally couldn't even see in the maps after moving the token and I was forced to revert to legacy.
Patrick Von Raven
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Last Wednesday, my group and I tried the updated dynamic lighting and it didn’t work. Some players couldn’t see light sources even after the correct settings were confirmed. A token controlled by only one player had dark vision correctly set, but all players were able to see as if that token was a light source.&nbsp; We had to switch back to legacy lighting.
I'd like to send this back to the top and point out the recent comments made by the R20 team on the UDL main thread which only erodes more confidence.
+1 Curretnly I don't see UDL replacing LDL any time soon.
3 weeks and 70 votes so far, thought it would be more but most of the users on Roll20 don't even come to or read the forums sadly. Bugs are still happening as reported on the bug thread and I was more than a bit disturbed after watching the Twitch Round table for March when it was commented that they are happy that it is really really close to 100% done in their view for UDD......... Guess we will find out may 18th, but again Roll20 has not stated that they would delay the LDL sunsetting if things are still not working out for many users. I also suspect as the deadline gets closer and closer and if big improvement sare still not being made the numbers here will get much bigger, if that will mean anything, but one has to try at least to let their voices be heard here I think Tom
Inflicting a deadline on your users to 'motivate' your dev team in unconscionable, and the Roll20 leadership should be ashamed of themselves.&nbsp;
Tom said: ... thought it would be more... We're all using our votes on more important things like deleting lines from chat.&nbsp; I'm sure they'll finish the process of collecting information about what exactly we mean by that suggestion any day now and will implement it and then we'll have free votes to put here.
Sean G. said: Tom said: ... thought it would be more... We're all using our votes on more important things like deleting lines from chat.&nbsp; I'm sure they'll finish the process of collecting information about what exactly we mean by that suggestion any day now and will implement it and then we'll have free votes to put here. You hold far more hope than I do sir.
With The GREATEST respect DON'T SUNSET LEGACY. You have ~NOT~ got a working system to replace it. NORMAL AND LEGACY is playing up now! while fix's for the new system are implemented for what can be only called pre-alpha state of readiness. Our session tonight, Failed (did not crash) Mid session, so while no changes were being made, only 1 player was unaffected (1GM, 5players were). That needed Cache clears and in 1 case a reboot of a players machine to even load! This post is only concerning Legacy Dynamic Lighting. Lag across the whole of Roll20 has also not been addressed, and is getting worse. Enforce 18th May, and you will not be promoting the new dynamic lighting by enticing more subscribers into Plus &amp; Pro. You will be loosing current subscribers, as GM's loose Players, as their games are not working. You'll then loose your Pro GM Subscribers, as they are forced to seek a reliable platform.
I was taking a wait and see with this, but it's still busted?&nbsp; That bodes ill.
Will say that as a DM that has not access to a verry powerfull setup, legacy dynamic lighting performance a lot better on my machine. Updated dynamic lighting laggs my pc and would force me to turn it off entirely. Not sure if I really get any value out of my plus subscribtion then.
Almost a 100 votes at least, but per their latest Twitch stream its full steam ahead and the LDL will be sunsetting May 18th with not even a hint of wiggle room if in fact UDL is not 100% (within reason) by then.... Just over a month away and I am really getting nervous/upset to see what we will end up with in our games with only the UDL to use to run our games :( Tom :(
Rough Patch said: As a professional GM with tons of players and campaigns running weekly I have had endless &nbsp;problems with Updated Dynamic Lighting which has lost me clients. I've bought countless products and subscribed to pro for years now, many of my clients ask why I bother with what is now unobjectively the worst &nbsp;VTT and before I used to answer that there was potential still (and R20's business strategy is to hold the books and modules I've purchased hostage) and that UDL could be great once they worked out the bugs. Years later and not only haven't they still fixed the bugs but they're retiring the only version of their Dynamic Lighting that actually... worked? That's going to be it for me if they force the change. Don't force us to update until you have a finished project, you're not Cyberpunk 2077 or Bethesda, I won't be paying for a lump of coal wrapped in nice paper. Edward Patch. I feel you, I loved Roll20 when I first started, and thought it was exceptional, until this year that is. Looking back now Roll20 is virtually the same it was 3 years ago except SMALL (mostly failed and unwanted) updates have been made instead of the massive wave of quality of life and fixes that should've been added long before then. In 3 years you'd expect a company to have their site in tip top shape let alone the countless years Roll20 has been up. Frankly with the introduction of Foundry WHICH IS DONE BY ONE PERSON (if I recall) and other VTT's that are simply far better I am hoping a fire is lit under the Roll20's ass to address the countless issues and requests the community has made. If it weren't for the fact that it's not entirely reliable to switch to another VTT (As it's highly possible they could cease to run due to financial or other issues as most of them have a very small team and have a hefty price tag such as Foundry) I probably would've switched already. I have been a long time user of Roll20, countless of hours and games. But I can't even stand some of the nonsense going on anymore.
GREAT to say they delayed the sunset beyond the date of May 18th first given. No new date was said but lets hope for a long extension!! I Thank you and especially my Many players thank you!!' CHEERS Tom
Gold
Forum Champion
it would be funny if Roll20 Team mark this Suggestion as "Completed" Here is the Roll20 Blog Post about the Update to LDL Sunset Plan:&nbsp; <a href="https://blog.roll20.net/posts/an-update-to-the-legacy-dynamic-lighting-sunset-plan/" rel="nofollow">https://blog.roll20.net/posts/an-update-to-the-legacy-dynamic-lighting-sunset-plan/</a>
This suggestion seems a bit moot. The ship has sailed.

Edited 1629122470
Bianca
Roll20 Team
Hey everyone, As has been mentioned, we altered our plans for Legacy Dynamic Lighting (outlined here ). As such, we are going to be closing this thread to refund folks their suggestion votes. Please be sure to check out the latest Dynamic Lighting thread as well as check through our Dynamic Lighting Portal for what is coming!