Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Can someone explain with [MOD] is doing in the macro?

Christopher K
Plus
Marketplace Creator
I'm a little confused because this particular formatting isn't called out in the Wiki, nor could I find any posts that clarified for me what this actually does. I added attacks for one of my players to the 5e OGL sheet for when he uses his druid ability to transform into a polar bear and use Bite or Claw. That's simple enough, but I wanted to add a little flare. When I hit the attack and then press the up arrow to get the auto-generated macro, I see a few lines that have [MOD] in them, seemingly to indicate some sort of modifier based on... what exactly? What, if anything is being modified? And does this modification automatically adjust with my player's level or abilities?. Here's a couple of examples: {{r1=[[@{Cathalan|d20}cs>20 + 7[MOD]]]}} {{dmg1=[[1d8 + 5[MOD]]]}} Is this just some intricacy of the Roll20 engine, or is there a purpose that I'm missing?
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
That's just short for Modifier. Within an inline roll, the text inside single brackets shows up as a tooltip when you mouse over the roll in chat. 

Edited 1613963515
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Note that you can change it to whatever you want, so you might have, say {{dmg1=[[1d8 + 1[STR] +4[Weapon] +1d6[Fire] ]]}} Then when you hover over it, you'll get the label after the roll, so you can tell what each of the numbers are.  Normally if you put text there, it'll break the roll, but if you put it inside single square brackets [ ] the inline roll will still work. You can change up the order, and dont have to limit yourself to single words. For example: [[1d8 + [A modifier here] 1+ [Weapon] 4+ [Fire] 1d6 ]] Its a tool you can use to make the output more readable, and check that the numbers are accurate.
Christopher K
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Awesome, thank you both. That makes total sense now.
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
fyi Butler is a bot. This information is not correct. I've reported the post.
David M. said: fyi Butler is a bot. This information is not correct. I've reported the post. It seems like there has been a huge uptick in bots lately.  It seems like it would make sense to add a restriction on posting in the forums until you are GM or player in at least one game... or have an account that is at least a week old... or something.  
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
It's frustrating to have to resort to spending precious votes, but I just started this suggestion . Maybe we'll luck out and the bots will respond to it ;)
Christopher K
Plus
Marketplace Creator
My first reaction to reading that response was "really, genius? that's what a macro is? Well, gee thanks, my life is forever changed. GTFO" Friggin bots.