Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Weird graphical glitch

I'm using Chrome as a browser. All has worked fine until now. So... can't even explain it well. Basically graphics keep changing if I move around or select items. DM has drawn black squares to hide stuff, doesn't stop me and sometimes I can see through them (but not always). When I start playing, it's fine. After 2 hours or so, this happens. Clear cache, re-log, restart browser does not help.
Mike G.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
It's happened to me too. I dont have a premium subscription and I thought it was just because I was playing on a friend's server who has lighting effects. However when I DM'ed my own campaign in a regular account, it happened. First, it starts when I select tokens, they start showing the same blue vectors, and the handle to rotate the token in another color. Then, it usually becomes worse when we add token's label names, up to a point where the whole screen is just colors. Sometimes clicking on the map helps removing the error, but shows up again when clicking a token.  It's become almost impossible to use roll20 due to this. I'm on an Intel Core i5 9 Gen with an Nvidia GEFORCE GTX card. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
This should be reported on the UDL feedback thread, where the dev team will see it, or in a  Help Center Request . Console logs captured while it is happening would be useful too.
I'm having the exact same issue since this morning when I went to update some maps. I'm on Edge. Turning off Dynamic Lighting for the map doens't fix it either.
keithcurtis said: This should be reported on the UDL feedback thread, where the dev team will see it, or in a  Help Center Request . Console logs captured while it is happening would be useful too. As Mike and  GanDuunar are free users, it would be very sad if the UDL changes were now effecting free accounts as well.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Jo said: I'm on Edge. Step 1 of the troubleshooting steps is to be sure to use a supported browser. <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Solving_Technical_Issues" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Solving_Technical_Issues</a>
Shutting down and restarting the PC fixed the issue for me (on Chromium Edge).
This is happening to me as well as a DM. It happened 2-3 weeks ago (we run ~1/week) and keeps recurring. I am not using updated dynamic lighting. Once this kicks in I cant even see tokens on half of the screen and when i do click on them the blue token squares are not available/squished together. As noted above, sometimes the map clears as you scroll or move away from the tokens where the lights are expanding out of. We did not have any combat yesterday but i am very worried i wont be able to run this when we do again...
Delayed opening the ticked a bit to test if it persists next game and gather info from Console and Network (Had no great info there). Opened ticket now, noted this forum post also and will let ya'll know if I get a response. Have latest Chrome, last game swapped to Edge after Chrome became unbearable. Edge was ok at the time, but didn't use it for a long time.

Edited 1614688445
Updating my Chrome Browser today fixed my similar problem. I had this issue arise on Saturday myself. I do have a subscription and was using UDL, but turning it off did not fix the problem. The main issue seems to be related to health bars above tokens. Each one casts a "shadow" all the way to the left side of the map. Get rid of the data creating a bar, all of the persistent graphical glitches are gone. Once it happened it was on every page/game I had. Even once I removed all bars from a page, clicking on the tokens showed some strange highlight geometry, and occasionally flashed the shadows that were present before (all of them, not just the ones associated with that token.)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Marcel said: keithcurtis said: This should be reported on the UDL feedback thread, where the dev team will see it, or in a&nbsp; Help Center Request . Console logs captured while it is happening would be useful too. As Mike and&nbsp; GanDuunar are free users, it would be very sad if the UDL changes were now effecting free accounts as well. Very true. I've seen a growing number of reports, but very little in the way of repro steps, so it's hard to make guesses. Edge is a Chromium-based browser? Maybe there have been some changes to it that are causing the issue. Has anyone reported the issue on Firefox? Between this and the popped-out journals not reopening issue, Chrome may have some significant issues.

Edited 1614706216
I have kept my Chrome and Edge latest as possible. Have not installed Firefox (Have had it, but uninstalled it at one point) but will do so on the next game to see if it is also affected (If I do not get a response from Roll20 by then).&nbsp;
Allow me to add visual evidence of strange graphics glitches. Also on Chrome. Recorded on 2/17 and 2/24. No logs, sorry.&nbsp;
I've been having these issues as well. Loading a new tab with roll20 seems to help for a minute.&nbsp;