Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Question on Journal Command Buttons

Nick O.
Forum Champion
I'm looking at this article,&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Journal#Journal_Command_Buttons" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Journal#Journal_Command_Buttons</a> &nbsp;and I've been able to successfully create links that send text, dicerolls, and run macros using the link button method described. The article goes on to explain about API Command Buttons, but I can't figure out how to get those to work from a handout.I've tried `[MyButton](!MyMacro)&nbsp; and&nbsp; `[MyButton](!&amp;#13;#MyMacro) But those don't work. Can someone let me know where I'm going wrong?
I found a way to activate a script from a handout via a link, not a button. &nbsp;To activate a script from a handout, type the name as `!NameofScript into the handout as a link, with whatever text. Save the handout, and the link will activate the script.

Edited 1615420530
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You just select the text in the handout, and insert a hyperlink. The hyperlink is the call, no backtick needed, (though it doesn't hurt, either).
Nick O.
Forum Champion
Is it supposed to appear as a button, though? Everything appears as a link. Maybe I'm misunderstanding? Here's what I have:

Edited 1615422499
Try [Hello](`#Hello)
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Nick O. said: Is it supposed to appear as a button, though? Everything appears as a link. Maybe I'm misunderstanding? Here's what I have: Haven't seen any discussion saying it would look like a button. This seems to me just a general "trick" of Roll20, and not something they made extra things for. I'd think you might need to use a bunch of html/css to make the link resemble a button, if that's important to you. Could be wrong though.
Nick O.
Forum Champion
Ah, ok. I get it now. You can create a link that puts the button into the Chat. I misunderstood and thought it would put the button onto the handout. Thanks everyone!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Ah, I should have thought of posting a screen shot.