Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

patch 2.5 killed bump and simple door

Edited 1615761270
I had no idea that Patch 2.5 was a sneak update to UDL. I spent Months preparing CoS.  I set up every door with simpledoorcontrols, every trap with It'saTrap, every GM layer token had Bump applied. I used Concentration and ScriptCards. I foolishly ran Patch 2.5 and now none of that works. Doors won't open, ScriptCard macros display nothing. Tokens don't bump. I tried turning UDL off and they still don't work! Does anyone have any idea how I can save those months of work? ***** This was during my session. I finished the session as best we could and after logging off and getting dinner, I logged back on and things have started to work. I don't know if there was a change while I was away or it needed two logons or what, but I am cautiously optimistic.

Edited 1615761448
That sounds like a pain; I'm sorry. Since you're a Pro user, you should be able to roll back your game to an earlier state. (If I recall correctly you can choose any date within the last 7 days.) If that doesn't work, try filing a Help Request. Good luck! Edit: I'm glad things are working better now; since this was during a session maybe a rollback isn't your best bet after all, as you would lose progress made during the session. But it's an option that's available.
Is it possible that your API scripts threw an error and you just needed to restart your API page?
No. All of the API's I tried had been used many times before. I had selected the items they were to work on and I could see the selection. Even if I gad not selected them I would simply have gotten a message that nothing was selected.
Sarah, Thank you. My bad that I've never read down to the end of the list. I've just used the first two entries and shuddered when I hit the third and ignored the rest. I must learn to be less provincial.
James B. said: No. All of the API's I tried had been used many times before. I had selected the items they were to work on and I could see the selection. Even if I gad not selected them I would simply have gotten a message that nothing was selected. I guess I'm not fully understanding what you mean here.  During your game, when your scripts stopped working, did you open up the game API page to see if there was an error? If you logged off and came back after dinner, the API would have shut down on its own and then restarted, but it's likely something you could have manually done during the game if there was an API error that was causing this problem.
If fact after the game was over I did check the API and it didn't show an error. My point was that I had used these macros many times before and they had never showed an error before. (At least after I had corrected a few typing errors long before this.) The point is these macros had already been tested before starting the game and we had been through six sessions of play prior to this session without any API errors.
I just realized I misunderstood what you meant by Patch 2.5 -- I had thought you were referencing the larger character sheet and token update that has happened recently. I see now that Patch 2.5 is specific to the Curse of Strahd module to update it to UDL.  Unfortunately any module update like that will break links that are created between tokens (e.g for Bump and SimpleDoorControls), unless the script runs on some kind of 'static' data points (like notes in the GM field of a token). Those scripts work by creating references to Token IDs, but the module update will replace all the current tokens with new tokens that have new IDs.  If you're not able to roll back your game, then it will mean recreating doors and traps and bumped tokens. Luckily Bump is a very easy script to use (I usually just set everything up on the Token layer and select everything I want and Bump them at the same time).  And I previously used SimpleDoorControls... but it takes a bit of work to set up.  I'd still consider using it for a couple unique situations (if I wanted to move a wall or something).  I started using Door Knocker and I have to say that it makes the door creation process super   easy. If you use the default colors for walls versus doors, you simply need to create a global token macro to toggle doors open and closed.  There's literally no more individual door setup required. I haven't used It's a Trap, but I've looked at it before and I'm pretty sure that will take a fair bit of work to set up back up unfortunately. The last thing I'll mention is depending on when you checked the API, you may not have seen an error message, even if one had been thrown.  I wouldn't have expected SimpleDoorControls, Bump, or It's a Trap! to work (as the links were broken), but the update shouldn't have affected ScriptCards in any way.  And it's certainly possible for an error to only appear long after you've been using the same scripts.  You might want to consider using the API Heartbeat script , as a visual indicator inside your game of when the API stops running.  I would also suggest as a matter of practice always checking the game's API page if you ever have an issue with any script not working, just in case.   Good luck!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If you have added a token, the patch shouldn't even touch it. Here is the intended patch behavior : Occasionally, corrections need to be made to an existing module or game addon. A patch is made to correct the issues discovered. A notification will appear on the Game Details page when a patch is available for a module or addon installed on your game. Typically, a link will be included in the notification to the patch notes that lists all the changes that will be made by the patch. To preserve as much of your edited content as possible, patches only overwrite the tabletop elements that were directly changed by the patch. It's worthwhile to check the patch notes before updating your game in the off chance you need to duplicate some journal entries to preserve player or GM edited module/addon content. Additionally, if a patch is making changes to a Page you and your players are currently active on, you may want to wait to update your game until after the group is between dungeons/maps. That way elements such as tokens, DL, etc aren't reset mid-combat between gaming sessions. When you click on the Update button, your game will be sent into a queue to begin the update process. You can cancel the update while it's still sitting in queue and hasn't started processing. You will receive new notifications on the Details Page as a patch moves through the queue line to eventually begin processing the patch. This process can take a couple minutes to complete. Once done, you will receive a final notification that the patch has installed successfully. Not sure about DL lines. It might make a difference what was done with them. However, yes, super agreed on Door Knocker. You can be ready to go almost instantly, especially since nearly every Roll20 module uses consistent door and wall colors. Re: API, I have experienced a lot of silent crashes lately. Everything looks like its running, but nothing responds. Usually I need to re-save a custom script if the restart sandbox button is not available.
Jarren K., thank you for your interest. I will certainly check out both Door Knocker and API Heartbeat script. keith curtis, very interesting that there are silent crashes. I had never heard that and am very surprised to hear it. With two recs for Door Knocker I will certainly check it out and will hope that API Heartbeat gives me protection from silent crashes. Thank you both again.
James B. said: will hope that API Heartbeat gives me protection from silent crashes. Just to clarify; API Heartbeat won’t prevent API crashes; it’ll just give you a visual indication (alternating the color of the GM’s name) that your game’s API sandbox has stopped. Still a very useful tool!

Edited 1616247812
Jarren K., Yes I understand. I should have phrased it as 'give me warning of silent crashes.' I have implemented it and it is working well. It is clear mow that I was the victim of a silent API crash since my SimpleDoorControls are working with the  heartbeat going. I also added Door Knocker. I was particularly interested in the ability to have windows which allowed sight but blocked movement, which I read about in the forum on DoorKnocker. Unfortunately I haven't found any mention of windows in DoorKnocker version 1.16 even though in the forum version 1.12 discussed it. I have the PathMath 1.6 installed which was mentioned in the forum article. Have I missed something? I'll have to do more forum trolling.
Great!  I haven’t played with it yet, but if you are using UDL, ‘windows’ can be created by drawing curved lines. There’s a UDL window script that will semi-automate that process for you by changing lines you draw into curved lines that block movement but not vision. I think Door Knocker is doing something similar. 
Thank you, Jarren. I downloaded UDL Window Script and used it on two maps for today's games. Works well. Haven't run into any of the troubles reported about UDL yet. Fingers crossed. Thank you again for all your help.