Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Does Candlekeep Mysteries also have just white square maps?

Its bit hard to tell from roll20's preview pictures :'D
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The interior maps are from a wide range of artists, but are all of the black and white lineart variety, as in the print edition. There is a beautiful aerial view map of Candlekeep, but it's not a battle map.
the maps arent pretty no, But WotC isnt a VTT company, so the maps they make dont have to be uber detailed. but it is very lackluster compared to other books where we get beautiful battle maps.
It is pretty inconsistent from WotC since didn't icewind dale book also have nice maps?(at least judging from previews :'D ) But yeah guess they have kinda decided they don't need "VTT Support" because they have biggest market share on this hobby and its cheaper to just do white square maps for anthologies...
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I don't know of a lot of major publishers who are concerned with making sure their products are VTT-friendly. Kobold Press is one.
I've noticed lot of companies starting to do it once pandemic started though, not so much with WotC at least
Surok
Roll20 Production Team
Just wait a few months, lots of fan made maps eventually get made for the books.
WotC is now known for putting out terrible maps from time to time. Unfortunately, you'll have to stalk the subreddit and wait until someone makes actual good maps for free. As is tradition. This is why I don't buy your books, Wizards.
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
WoTC has gotten a bit lazy.  I always use Curse of Strahd as the benchmark.  Beautiful maps, plus great story, great bad guy, great NPCs.  WoTC hasn't come close to that for years now.  Close but not quite there requiring help to overcome the deficiencies.  It will only stop if we stop buying.  Doubtful, so it will continue.  
Surok
Roll20 Production Team
Victor B. said: WoTC has gotten a bit lazy.  I always use Curse of Strahd as the benchmark.  Beautiful maps, plus great story, great bad guy, great NPCs.  WoTC hasn't come close to that for years now.  Close but not quite there requiring help to overcome the deficiencies.  It will only stop if we stop buying.  Doubtful, so it will continue.   Rime actually is on par with CoS imho. It has full color maps as well, something that WOTC had neglected since ToA. I'm not sure why they tend to vacillate between color and B&W now. Because COVID forced lots of people online one would think providing good quality maps would standard. Maybe they expect the secondary market to provide the better maps so why bother spending the extra cost to make it themselves. 
Tiffany M.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
The secondary market has already filled in this need on another common site that one might go to for acquiring maps for DnD that I will not name due to it not being Roll20. I'm not completely sure about the legality of posting it here instead of that site which has the special licensing agreement, but I believe the creator is a Roll20 creator too, so if it's possible I'm sure it'll come to the marketplace here soon! They had everything in the pack even libraries in case you wanted to explore them. :)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If it's a legal site, you can mention it. You won't be breaking any rules. DnDBeyond and Fantasy Grounds also offer licensed digital DnD products. Some cartographers, like Mike Schley offer their maps for sale in a form suitable for VTT use. If it's not one of those, it's likely to be an illegal site.
Tiffany M.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
I found the set on the DM's Guild, where they have their whole "we can post material specifically for Dungeons and Dragons products above and beyond the OSR" license. Definitely legal. :) But I would also assume, in competition with Roll20, since I imagine several creators here are likely working on helpful expansions as we speak to be purchased through the marketplace! And yeah, Mike Schley's collection of prints and digital files of canonical maps is remarkable! An excellent resource. I have spent hours on his site just admiring the maps.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
DM's guild is perfectly fine to mention. Linking to it might be questionable, but Roll20 is not paranoid about people mentioning the existence of other venues.