Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Custom FX for enemy fire?

I'm looking for anything that simulates: A hail of arrows hitting random patches of turf on a map, to make the party feel like arrows are flying at them from all directions. Big area-effect spells doing the same (fireball, cone of cold, lightning bolt). Any kind of trap that generates an explosion. (want to combine with the Kaboom script to knock PCs in different directions randomly)
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
v0.15 and later of SpawnDefaultToken might have something you'd like for big explosions. Click the 2nd animated gif in this forum post . I used a ring of fire png with transparency as the default token of a RingOfFire "character", then spawned it with the script and added an expanding animation (to size 60x60 squares!) and a "true" flag (--expand|#,#, true) to delete the token after the animation completed. More nuclear detonation than Fireball, though you could size it smaller obviously. You could always just spawn the AoE of your choice and have it remain (i.e. not auto-delete itself) to more easily see who is affected, too.  

Edited 1616381554
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
EDIT - better effect in next post, imo. Now that I think about it, you could spawn a bunch of mini dirt "explosions" in random areas near a target token using the the same concept. I just put something together quickly using a single image. It might have a better effect if a multi-sided token was used with slightly different art for each "impact". You can play with the impact area/density as needed. If you change the area (15x15 grid in example below), just change the offset to roughly half the size to keep everything relatively centered on the selected token. Also, those expand (animation) settings are about as fast as you can go without everything glitching out.  !Spawn {{ --name|DirtExplosion --qty|25 --size|0.5,0.5 --offset|-7,-7 --placement|rand 15 --expand|20,20,true }} Click for animated gif The png I used is below. Maybe some kind of arrow-stuck-in-the-dirt image might be more appropriate?

Edited 1616381667
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
Another version, with arrows. This time persistent. I think the effect is nicer, although you would have to manually delete all the arrow tokens. Could also send them to the map layer (by adding --layer|map) when spawned to avoid them getting in the way of "real" tokens. Since these are persistent, I lowered the density in order to fire multiple waves. I'm totally going to use this in my game at some point. Thanks for the idea! !Spawn {{ --name|Arrow --qty|15 --size|0.7,0.7 --offset|-7,-7 --placement|rand 15 --expand|20,20 }} Click for animated gif
Wow! Thanks so much for this, David. Will definitely gran and install Spawn and give these a whirl this week.